Gauge setup question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wabelita

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a newbie gauge/computer question. I don’t want to spend $1200 on a computer right from the start. I was planning on getting a SPG with only tank pressure & compass. I would use a wrist-mounted computer for depth and other things like water temp, bottom time, assent time, etc. Does anyone have a recommendation on a SPG and wrist computer? I’m not going for top of the line equipment, just dependable and easy to use for a newbie.

Thanks,
Wayne

Check out the Suunto line for wrist computers. The Mosquito can be found for $310, and the Vyper for $300. Do you plan on using Nitrox in the future? If so, in addition to the Suuntos, look at the Oceanic Versa Pro and the Aeris Atmos 2. They're both made by Pelagic and will cost you between $250 and $280. If you don't need nixtox capability, the Versa and Atmos 1 are $200. All are good computers.

(These are online prices. Expect to pay more at your LDS)

Wear the compas on your left wrist. It's much more efficient than in a console. Suunto SK7s are great ($55). An OMS brass gauge will cost you about $75. Just don't use the boot and get the one with the 100 PSI increment.

Personally I used a friends Viper for the first year I dived, well the first 8 dives I didn't use one ,... just a depth guage and tables.

Then when the time came ( my friend went back to Europe) I bought a Suunto Stinger, it works well, and doubles as my sport watch for weekends etc.

My wife bought a Mosquito and it does great for diving , but not so wearable for the weekends.

Cheers,
=-)

I would recommend the Genesis or the Oceanic. Suunto has had too many problems lately.

Genesis has the Resource if you are not going nitrox and they have a nitrox version as well. Both the Genesis and Oceanic have easy to read dials ...big numbers...and the companies are good.

I use the Resource on a wrist mount and it didnt cost me an arm and a leg

at the Oceanic Versa Pro. Wrist mount, big numbers, Nitrox and can be had for around $250

I have a Data 100 and a Data Plus. Both are easy to read and have been dependable. Whatever computer you end up with, I would suggest you look for 2 features, Nitrox capable and it has standard batteries that you can change yourself. Nitrox capability usually cost only a little more and if/when you decide on Nitrox, you already have to computer and are familiar with it. The battery issue is obvious, you don't want to have to send the comp off if you need batteries or to have to pay dearly for oddball batteries.

Arnaud once bubbled...
Wear the compas on your left wrist. It's much more efficient than in a console.

I disagree and prefer the compass attached to my Cobra for several reasons.

With the compass attached to the Cobra, task loading during gear up is reduced as I have one less piece of gear to attach. This also reduces the amount of time it takes to get into the water after exposure protection is put on which can be a big benefit in hot weather.

In my experience, it is much easier to follow a compass held straight out in from of you than one mounted on your wrist. Additionally, you can monitor your depth and air supply at the same time. This is particularly convenient when you’re swimming in low visibility with no visual reference as in crossing the quarry at 30 feet when the bottom is 80 feet.

It would be foolish to argue that wrist mounted computers and compasses are not a viable option but there are advantages to air integrated computers and connecting the compass to them.

Mike

Being new to SCUBA diving, there are a lot of things to remember while diving, looking at the compass, depth and air while not running in to other divers or objects. I think the easiest setup would be to have everything on a console. I’m going to try something different.

I’m going to put both a compass and computer on my right hand and use a small pressure gauge, no console, for air monitoring. Both compass and computer will be on the same hand so I can use the compass and track depth easily. The left will be free for BC control during assents.

I’m looking at the Oceanic Veo 200 and Versa Pro. It looks like the Versa Pro is missing an “Automatic Safety Stop Prompt”, and the Veo can’t be set from a PC. I’d rather have the Safety Stop prompt, and the Veo costs less.

MikeS once bubbled...
With the compass attached to the Cobra, task loading during gear up is reduced as I have one less piece of gear to attach. This also reduces the amount of time it takes to get into the water after exposure protection is put on which can be a big benefit in hot weather.

Yeah, the 30 seconds it takes to put on is a real killer. Make that 10 seconds when it's bungeed.

In my experience, it is much easier to follow a compass held straight out in from of you than one mounted on your wrist.

A compass on your wrist held at eye level will be much more stable than on a console. If the console is not held right, the reading will be off.

Additionally, you can monitor your depth and air supply at the same time. This is particularly convenient when you’re swimming in low visibility with no visual reference as in crossing the quarry at 30 feet when the bottom is 80 feet.

I have the compass on the left wrist and the depth on the right. I can see both at the same time, no problem to monitor direction & depth. How many times do you need to look at your gage when you're at 30 feet???

It would be foolish to argue that wrist mounted computers and compasses are not a viable option but there are advantages to air integrated computers and connecting the compass to them.

Sure nothing is all black and all white. But when you consider the drag, the HP hose, the lack of precision, the risk of entanglement, the possible full reliance on a computer for Gas management if a newbie doesn't know better, not to mention the cost, it seems to me that the 30 seconds you're saving on the boat are not really worthy.

Now, you could also throw in a scooter so you don't get tired and a Neverlost. You could also watch an underwater documentary in the comfort of your home.

Back
Top Bottom