Gas Management With Sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• sidemount bottel sharing.jpeg
    739.7 KB · Views: 93
changing every 500psi *sixths on AL bottles* is ridiculous and unnecessary. Breathe the first one 500 psi, then breathe the second one 1000psi, then back to the first one for 1000psi, second one for another 1000psi, and then the first one for 1000psi, then the second one for the last 500 psi and you surface with both bottles at 500psi.
If you change every 500psi you're adding in 4 unnecessary gas switches for literally 0 benefit because the bottles are still at 500psi delta at the switch.

changing every 500psi *sixths on AL bottles* is ridiculous and unnecessary. Breathe the first one 500 psi, then breathe the second one 1000psi, then back to the first one for 1000psi, second one for another 1000psi, and then the first one for 1000psi, then the second one for the last 500 psi and you surface with both bottles at 500psi.
If you change every 500psi you're adding in 4 unnecessary gas switches for literally 0 benefit because the bottles are still at 500psi delta at the switch.

I dive currently with LP50s at 2700psi, I have tried the method you suggest and will be experimenting more; it is less tasks and so far I like the concept. I read your post about high and low flow caves, is it good for wreck diving where current is a factor? Personally I like having my tanks balanced when I turn my dive but that could be an experience thing.

I dive currently with LP50s at 2700psi, I have tried the method you suggest and will be experimenting more; it is less tasks and so far I like the concept. I read your post about high and low flow caves, is it good for wreck diving where current is a factor? Personally I like having my tanks balanced when I turn my dive but that could be an experience thing.

that's a bit of a waste, pump those babies up!

regarding wrecks, you have to make that choice based on the conditions inside of the wreck, the wreck itself, and your buddy. I would probably come out of the wreck on the long hose then switch to the short hose for ascent, but I don't dive sidemount inside of wrecks unless they are laying on their side.

So this may sound like a dumb question but...what are y'all's thoughts on side mounting 104s and the practicality of it. I currently side mount AL80s or LP 85s, but my buddy dives back mount 95s and my other buddy dives back mount 104s. I'm wanting to carry larger tanks as with NAUI cave 1 I cannot carry stage bottles. Thanks in advance for the advice/recommendations!

Depends on the dive. If I’m doing a long penetration I’ll use LP 104’s filled to 4,000 psi. Don’t need stage bottles that way. But my routine cylinders are PST 119’s or LP 85’s both at 4,000 psi. The 7.5 inch diameter of these cylinders and they both have the same buoyancy characteristics underwater.

So this may sound like a dumb question but...what are y'all's thoughts on side mounting 104s and the practicality of it. I currently side mount AL80s or LP 85s, but my buddy dives back mount 95s and my other buddy dives back mount 104s. I'm wanting to carry larger tanks as with NAUI cave 1 I cannot carry stage bottles. Thanks in advance for the advice/recommendations!

they suck in sidemount. If you need bigger bottles, Fabre lp120s are the only ones that dive anywhere near your lp85s. The 104s are bricks.
alternatively, take cave 2 so you can stage…

they suck in sidemount. If you need bigger bottles, Fabre lp120s are the only ones that dive anywhere near your lp85s. The 104s are bricks.
alternatively, take cave 2 so you can stage…

If I financially could I'd start cave 2 tomorrow but unfortunately I have to wait a little bit before undertaking that expense. Also wanting to get more cave experience before taking it. Only had Cave 1 for 2 months.

Back
Top Bottom