• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Gas Management With Sidemount

Discussion in 'Sidemount Diving' started by wetb4igetinthewater, Mar 30, 2016.

1. joshk

joshk Barracuda

Does one do an actual exit while feathering a valve or just open and close it a few times in open water? How was the concept of "consumption doesn't change" (when clearly you're doing more work than before) explained or proven?

2. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    OK, got it.

First, breathing isn't something that you calculate to four decimal places. You breathe at a rate that keeps you comfortable. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of variability in that. Deal with it. Learn what is comfortable for you in benign and threatening conditions. Expect a big difference in the two. Know these values. Add in work effort and you now a have real-world gas consumption range.
    Explained: If you are calm, you aren't doing all that much more work. So it doesn't change much.

Proven: Forget it. This is physiology not physics.

shoredivr likes this.
  3. lowviz

lowviz Solo Diver ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Overlooked one of your questions in my last post.
    One does an actual exit for a fair distance in Intro to Cave. One repeats it until the instructor is satisfied.

shoredivr likes this.
  4. joshk

joshk Barracuda

That's what I was curious about. Thanks for clearing that up!

5. Dhboner

Dhboner DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I do a valve feather "drill" on pretty much every dive (to stay sharp with the skill). It is very easy and I doubt my gas consumption increases at all. In a real emergency it might, but I suspect not very much, given that I practice the procedure so often.