Garmin or Tom Tom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimLap:
Or save some serious green and get one of those new fangled things they call a map and have your spouse read it. Never need to recharge, plug in, or replace batteries.

How are you saving serious green... my last modle seemed to cost more than a gps.

Go Garmin..
I have a TomTom Ill sell to anyone who wants a cheap/good GPS..but garmin is much nicer having tried both..

are these units portable?? and how exactly do they work?

do they link to a satalite as i see some ads with a cd of maps so what happens there? (note: dont assume you are talking to the technically stupid - i'll tell you that you are :D )

almitywife:
are these units portable?? and how exactly do they work?

do they link to a satalite as i see some ads with a cd of maps so what happens there? (note: dont assume you are talking to the technically stupid - i'll tell you that you are :D )

Yes they are portable, and they link to GPS satellites. They compare their position with a built-in database to give you a map of where you are. Think of the sat-nav units on the latest high-end cars, just the portable generic version.

A friend of mine in the UK has the Tom Tom unit, and likes it. He even got the North America database and downloaded it to his unit for his last vacation in the US.

We get along fine with a map but I just think these look neat. I think they will mostly be nice when you need to find a spewcific place in an unfamiliar town without needing to get a street map. I also like the POI for gas stations and food. Looking like the Garmin is the unit of choice for most.

When I did my research I came across an article somewhere that indicated Tom Tom uses British based maps. That may be OK for Europe but for the USA they were suppose to be quite lacking.

While in Germany last month, at the PX I bought the new Navigon 7000T. The big advantage to that model is all the GPS sold stateside that I know of give you the US maps...but if you want Europe...that is another $400 or so.

The Navigon came with BOTH USA and Europe maps. I have used it in both Europe and the USA and it has worked great. Kinda like the British chick's accent.

I was in the market for a GPS just a month or so ago. A friend stationed here let me borrow his TomTom 1 while he was TDY for a week. I used it and liked it.. After reading up on all of the ones in the same cost ballpark, I decided on the Garmin c330. I purchased the Garmin and have no buyer's remorse nor do I wish I got the TomTom instead. Both work, basically, the same. I didn't care about BlueTooth and I sure didn't care about all those stupid voices you can load into the TomTom. We use a Garmin in my Dad's airplane and I just trust the name much more than I do "TomTom." To me, Garmin is the only way to go. Of course, that's just my personal opinion. :D

I have been using streets and trips with a USB GPS on my laptop and have been thinking one of those little gizmo's would also be nice to have.

I can do without the telling me where to turn though.. nag nag nag.

ALthough does it come in a Female Japanese voice?

Garmin is way better and cheaper for the same price point, but be aware there are several lines of product with different features. I have the Nuvii 360.... amazing to use, but does not have the best bright sun response. But it tells you what to do, so I don't really need it. The 550 is similar, but much better sun, but you loose other stuff.

Bluetooth is wonderful, by the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom