Garmin MK1 v MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its right against your arm lol. What do you expect?

Set the gps to 1sec update. I bet you have it on ultratrac.

You should probably spend some time on DC rainmaker's website. He's covered both these issues in the past.

it isn't on ultratrc; however, I don't understand how t change the updating time...

I checked the website you suggested but could find only this:
Hands-on: Garmin’s New Descent MK1 Diving Watch

can you post any other link? Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I went with the Mk 2. Ultimately, the pace pro feature was the deciding factor as one of my
Biggest problems is pairing both during training and races themselves. I can’t wait to actually try this out once it comes!

I read one review that said that the sonic transmitter for the air on the Mk2 was audible.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone know the frequency and volume?

Transmitter (Descent T1 Tankpod) is not yet available in Europe, at least I could not buy it from Garmin Germany.

The retailers will run another $799 Mk1 deal or better again to get rid of inventory

I have a Mk1 and I essentially do not like 2 things:
1) temperature sensor, which isn't very accurate (as far as I understand it is located in a way that body temperature affect its measurements
As already mentioned, the temperature issue you are seeing are most likely related to you wearing in on your wrist such that it is influenced by your body temperature.

I mount my Mk1 on my camera rig (which gives me effective heads up display). I have found the temperature sensor to be quite accurate at least as accurate as you could expect when it only displays an integer. That said, for some reason it has been reading one degree C cooler than my Citizen (which I know is accurate) for the last few dives.

Here's a comparison of the logged temperatures (for a dive in November) between my Citizen Hyper Aqualand, my Shearwater Perdix AI, and my Garmin Descent Mk1:
Dive2020111507The_Steps_TemperatureComparison.jpg

It was a warm day and the Perdix takes the longest to adjust from the absorbed heat in the air.

Here's a dive from mid-December:
Dive2020121909The_Steps_TemperatureComparison.jpg

Here are the most recent three dives where both the Perdix and the Mk1 are 1 degree C cooler.
Dive2021010108The_Steps_TemperatureComparison.jpg

Dive2021010208The_Steps_TemperatureComparison.jpg

Dive2021010308The_Steps_TemperatureComparison.jpg

As already mentioned, the temperature issue you are seeing are most likely related to you wearing in on your wrist such that it is influenced by your body temperature.

I mount my Mk1 on my camera rig (which gives me effective heads up display). I have found the temperature sensor to be quite accurate at least as accurate as you could expect when it only displays an integer. That said, for some reason it has been reading one degree C cooler than my Citizen (which I know is accurate) for the last few dives.

Here's a comparison of the logged temperatures (for a dive in November) between my Citizen Hyper Aqualand, my Shearwater Perdix AI, and my Garmin Descent Mk1:
View attachment 634626
It was a warm day and the Perdix takes the longest to adjust from the absorbed heat in the air.

Here's a dive from mid-December:
View attachment 634627

Here are the most recent three dives where both the Perdix and the Mk1 are 1 degree C cooler.
View attachment 634628
View attachment 634629
View attachment 634630

Basically temperature is never so accurate, right?

Would you trust any of your devices more than the others? Why?

Back
Top Bottom