Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes they do. Checkout my deco video.
Superb! :thumb: Thanks for posting this in video format. So much more relatable than an image or review. Even with my dodgy middle aged eyes, I reckon I can see that no problem. As a dive computer It would only be a backup for my Perdix anyway, so I won’t really need any more data on main screen.

I'm looking at the MK2s as a daily wear, just thinking the MK2 is a little too big for me. Love to know how people find the "big numbers" on the MK2s when diving. My aging eyes just need a little help. I wasn't even considering the MK2s until the "big numbers" became an option. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
I have 2x cheater lenses in the bottom half of my mask, but was able to see the large numerals on the Mk2 regardless of whether the watch was above through the cheaters.

I wear it as a daily watch, but it is too big for dress shirts. I got used to the sleep monitor and smart watch features so I got a Whoop. Now I can wear my regular watches and still have the activity tracker.

It seems like everyone is enjoying their Garmin Mk2 computers. I'll admit that I haven't read all 100+ pages in this thread, but I'm planning on grabbing one myself. I have a Shearwater Teric right now - I have to sell it before I can get the Garmin. One thing I do like about the Teric is that I can use NATO straps on it. The Garmin has the heart rate monitor thing underneath, so that's not an option there. Does anyone have any recommendations for straps for the Garmin Mk2? Amazon has some, but they are clearly those oddly named, largely unknown companies where I'm not sure if I can trust some of the reviews...

Apologies if there was an in-depth discussion on like, page 59 of this thread and it didn't show in my search.

It seems like everyone is enjoying their Garmin Mk2 computers. I'll admit that I haven't read all 100+ pages in this thread, but I'm planning on grabbing one myself. I have a Shearwater Teric right now - I have to sell it before I can get the Garmin. One thing I do like about the Teric is that I can use NATO straps on it. The Garmin has the heart rate monitor thing underneath, so that's not an option there. Does anyone have any recommendations for straps for the Garmin Mk2?

I do have one of those straps with a funny name. It works OK, but I only use that one above the water. The Garmin Quickfit clasps lock onto the lug more securely. Garmin also has a bungee mount available.

I have both a Garmin (MK2s) and a Shearwater. Unless you plan to use the Garmin as a Smart/Activity watch, I’d keep the Teric. Don’t get me wrong, I really like my Garmin, but it’s the above water features that drove me to it.

Going from a Teric, I assume you are using an AI transmitter. I much prefer the PPS transmitter (Or Swift) to the implementation that Garmin uses. Some can hear the transmission, but my main problem with it is that it is not possible to confirm it will work until you are under water. There have been a few complaints of this happening, but overall it seems pretty reliable. I’d just always have a nagging fear that it wouldn’t work.

The compass on the Teric also seems to be better. The Garmin doesn’t have the option of always on compass pointers around the bezel. The Garmin compass is on a separate dive screen. That said, it works well and is easy to access and use.

Hoping someone can provided some input here. I am looking to buy either the MK2 or MK2s. I don't need air integration. I plan to wear the watch all the time and not just for diving. Running, hiking, etc. Do you think the MK2 is too large to use as a daily wear watch? I have "normal" size wrists. Leaning towards the MK2S, but wondering if the larger MK2 would be better. Thoughts?

Hoping someone can provided some input here. I am looking to buy either the MK2 or MK2s. I don't need air integration. I plan to wear the watch all the time and not just for diving. Running, hiking, etc. Do you think the MK2 is too large to use as a daily wear watch? I have "normal" size wrists. Leaning towards the MK2S, but wondering if the larger MK2 would be better. Thoughts?
The MK2 is the basically a dive rated fenix 6x sapphire with the same form factor. I moved from a fenix 6 (equivalent size to a MK2S) and I find the larger screen on the MK2 much easier to read. I wouldn’t go back to the smaller size. I find it great for a daily use watch.

If there are any garmin stockists around you try the fenix 6x or 7x for an idea of size

For normal wrists i think the mk2 is defintly 'big' if its to big that can only you decide. For me, with smaller to normal wrists i think mk2s is good. I wouldnt go bigger, but thats me. Trying them both on is the only real solution i think. For a 1000 dollar (plus) investment always wise i think. Nothing beats your own judgement.

Actually that wasn’t the cause when you enter gauge mode/apnea mode it isn’t a deco lockout that you can turn off. You must either set you’re watch 24 hours ahead or go through a process of connecting it to you’re PC to take the lockout out. I’m sure you can google “farming descent mk1 gauge lockout”
Garmin website “
After diving in gauge mode, the device can only be used in gauge or apnea mode for 24 hours. “
Under section notes Descent Mk1 - Dive Modes

How well does the offline map functions work? Obviously, this is in regards to hiking trails not under water. Does using the buttons become a hassle to scroll the maps? I don't think the MK2s or MK2 have touch screen functionality to allow scrolling with your finger.

Dont yell at me - didnt read all posts - Its a Mk2

I love my Garmin but for some reason my wrist will bump it into CCR mode - last trip to largo serveral dives were logged as CCR

Any way to stop it from doing that - or just make sure and check it before you submerge.

Back
Top Bottom