Garbage that you get for being DIR, or semi-DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doof once bubbled...
Does being DIR mean you can't dive with non DIR divers? ......

Of course not. There's no DIR police. But what you will find is that diving with everyone on the same page makes the dive a lot more fun and more interesting. I know your equipment, and you know mine. I know how you are going to respond to a given situation, and visa versa. I know that you'll be near me as a buddy, and you know the same. There's no guesswork here. I'm speaking of DIR here, not just a hogarthian rig.

The dive is a lot more fun and RELAXING. With or without yoga.

victoriawtx once bubbled...
and I have recently been bombarded with similar (RUDE!!) comments.

I am also a relatively new diver, and after much thought and consideration, and with the guidance of another member of SB, I chose to purchase a Halcyon BP/W set-up. From the time I placed my order, to the time I received it, I have been constantly verbally confronted about my choice when I talk to other divers in my area. I felt like I immediately had to be on the defensive, and it really caught me off guard. LOL

At first I was totally shocked by this behavior. I felt like an outcast, received wierd side-looks, and everyone imaginable tried diligently to persuade me to 'sell the thing'. I was told ridiculous things from 'you are too petite to use a BP, it would be too heavy for you' and 'some DIR divers must've gotten ahold of you and brainwashed you, poor thing'. On and on. I can tell you stories! LOL

Finally, I realized that discussing this issue with other divers was causing me constant grief, so I indicated that I was still picking out my equipment. And at that time, the other person would go on about jacket BCs, and I would just smile and nod.

It is a shame that most of these people I spoke to were much more experienced divers than myself, and yet appeared so uneducated in the options available. From all the criticism I have received, it has just made me even more determined to learn more about DIR. I am a bit stubborn that way, and I didn't much appreciate many LDS men telling me that I was 'too small' to handle a BP. PLEASE. LOL

Sorry for adding my ranting also to the thread, it was just so nice to see that my experiences have not be unusual. It's great that we have this board, and the wonderful people here to understand and support our choices in diving. :)

victoriawtx Welcome to the wonderful world of the newly minted DIR divers. As a newly DIRf'd diver myself, I must admit Uncle Pug is right in saying that my mouth is currently in front of my skills (though I'm sure he could have put that in a nicer way). However, I am also VERY aware of that and am not trying to tell others what I don't know and/or can't do yet.

Having said that, sadly I've found a lot of experienced divers who either don't understand DIR or more often don't care to really understand it – seem challenged by it's very existence. I suppose some feel they need to justify not being DIR by putting it down and that's sad. Obviously this is not everyone, probably not the majority, but the squeaky wheel and all that. I suppose the one unfortunate thing about DIR is the name ... it certainly does feel a bit like throwing your gauntlet into the ring right off. That said, I've heard other organizations have similar slogans and they don't seem to get the same flack.

As for diving with non-DIR divers, nothing we learned in DIR-F indicated that. The only "problem" I foresee is now that I know what I feel is a better/safer way, it will be a little difficult to dive with someone I feel isn't as safe. That said, I’d much rather dive with a competent non-DIR diver than some Rambo DIR dude or dudette etc. In fact, in our recent DIR-F class, easily one of the best divers in the group was the only one diving without a BP/Wings and I’d happily dive with him any day.

~<//><

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
Scubaroo has it right.

Life is too short to agrue about gear configuations. :D

:gotcha:

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Nitrox Junkie once bubbled...
Scubaroo has it right.

Life is too short to agrue about gear configuations. :D

:gotcha:

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

I disagree. That's how we learn.

the subject comes up I tend to hide in the corner until it passes and then I make nice with everyone. :D

Chad

detroit diver once bubbled...

I disagree. That's how we learn.

I am all for discussion but it isn't worth arguing over. This is what I use, this is why, I am happy to discuss the whys with anyone that is open to it. If they aren't open to it I let it drop and we go diving.

Chad

I am all for discussion but it isn't worth arguing over. This is what I use, this is why, I am happy to discuss the whys with anyone that is open to it. If they aren't open to it I let it drop and we go diving.

Chad

You're a good man, Chad.

detroit diver once bubbled...

You're a good man, Chad.

I have you fooled. :D

Ziggys_Friend once bubbled...
As a newly DIRf'd diver myself, I must admit Uncle Pug is right in saying that my mouth is currently in front of my skills (though I'm sure he could have put that in a nicer way).
I didn't say that about you or anyone else specifically Ziggy... that would have been rude.

I just dropped a shoe for folks to try on. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom