Galleria in Houston, Tx?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I leave in a little over 12 hours for a two day debate tournament in Houston, Tx. We are staying at a hotel right on the Galleria mall.

What is good to see? I'm a photog by nature.

What's good to shop? I don't see any photography or diving stores in the mall. There are something like 80 womens clothing stores, 1 men's clothing store, and 20ish men and women clothing stores. What the heck?!?

Is there anything I should beg to go see or do while I'm there? I'll mainly have tomorrow for sight seeing, Sat and Sun is debating ALL day long, both days (I'm working on pulling out info for 40 seperate bills rightnow), an dI might have some time on Monday too.

I lived in Houston for 12 years, but I cannot think of anything I would recommend that you see... Still thinking...

Well, seeing is it is a catholic forensic league, and I'm attending it witha Christian high school and am extremely conservative in most of my political views, a nudie bar isn't something I'm too interestedin :) And, if I was, I doubt I could get away with going to one.

:(

Galleria has a skating rink in the center which is good for people watching. Transco Tower is a block behind it and has Centennial park, which is just a nice grassy area to get away from the "city" feel. There is a circular waterfall there popularly used as a backdrop for wedding photos, that and the tower make some nice photo ops. Nearby is Memorial Park and Houston Arboretum & Nature Center, makes for some good photos.

If you want to sightsee you could drive down 45 early and tour NASA, have lunch at Kemah Boardwalk nearby, up 336 to the San Jacinto battleground/monument, then 225 along the refineries along the ship channel.

Yeah, atleast I'm now 18,so I think i could go in if I wanted to :)

I'm so focusedon the debate part ofit, I've not devoted anytime at all to knowing the area.

I get back Monday evening. Tuesday afternoon I leave for a week in Yellowstone. :)

{edit} How is the skatingrink? Do you know cost? How big is it? I used to play roller hockey and loved it, not much ice in Florida, but iceskating could be fun!

Joel Olsteen has a great church here. Not far from Galleria~~~ and well worth it.
The water wall is perfect for pix and also in Galleria area.
If you have time Nasa is only 35 miles away. There is also the Imax..and Natural History Museum downtown and maybe 8 miles away.
Galveston and Moody Gardens are well worth the trip but about 90 minutes away.
Have fun..you sound like a good guy.

JahJahwarrior:
{edit} How is the skatingrink? Do you know cost? How big is it? I used to play roller hockey and loved it, not much ice in Florida, but iceskating could be fun!

It's full size, with skate rental, $10. Here is their website.

Thanks reefhound and natasha!

Are there any camera shops in the mall? There are two small ones here in G'ville, but I'd love to find one with a bigger selection of bags for me to look at....

I'll definitely try to get over to that park!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom