Galileo Sol with transmitter SALE!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That may be true, but...The current model IS too big...IS too expensive...and IS using old technology (dot matrix screen) instead of LCD screens. It makes sense that the next gen will correct these issues. We will see. Stay tuned.

. . . and IS using old technology (dot matrix screen) instead of LCD screens.
You're kidding right?!?! First, the Galileo's screen most certainly is a LCD screen. Second, the LCD dot-matrix screen is a huge improvement over the standard 7-9 segment LCD screens that are used by the vast majority of dive computers. The only other computers that use dot-matrix LCD screens are the high priced tech computers like the VR3, Shearwater, Nitek X, etc. The only user of a truly innovative screen is Liquivision, which uses an OLED screen instead of an LCD. So what "new" screen technology do you believe the Galileo should be using?

duh...what does it says from the website..."Extra large Dot-Matrix Display"

TOTALY different from an LCD display, two entirely different technologies. LCD is much cleaner and easier to read. I find the display tired and old for something the size and expense of this devise. Obvisouly you don't so go buy yourself one. If I'M going to spend that kind of money, it better look as good as the letters/numbers of the PRO PLUS 2

duh...what does it says from the website..."Extra large Dot-Matrix Display"

TOTALY different from an LCD display, two entirely different technologies. LCD is much cleaner and easier to read. I find the display tired and old for something the size and expense of this devise. Obvisouly you don't so go buy yourself one. If I'M going to spend that kind of money, it better look as good as the letters/numbers of the PRO PLUS 2
:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: That is some funny stuff!!!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: You have got to be a troll!

If you're not. . . You're smart enough to use Scubaboard, you're smart enough to Google. Try searching for dot-matrix LCD. And since you're a fan of Oceanic, try searching for the Oceanic OC1, their newest PDC. You'll find it also has a dot-matrix LCD. High-end computers aren't using these displays because they're into the retro look.

That may be true, but...The current model IS too big...IS too expensive...and IS using old technology (dot matrix screen) instead of LCD screens. It makes sense that the next gen will correct these issues. We will see. Stay tuned.
Dot matrix LCD (numbers consists of small dots) and customized LCD (numbers consists of big segments) are both Liquid Crystal Displays. Dot matrix is much more expensive as you many dots to drive and you need a separate controller. The advantage is that you are free to change layout as the software develops. Customized LCD is slowly going away.

The most common LCD technologies are TN and FSTN. FSTN is better than TN. Many of the segmented displays are TN and actually have bad viewing angle and low contrast. With segmented displays you can get away. Try to check the viewing angle and you see big differences.

The Galileo is one of the better you get for money. You pay something - you get something.

Al true and well stated. Then why does the display for instance on the pro plus2 look SO much better, brighter and bolder then the display on the SOL? They've got to do better on the next generation, or I for on am not buying!! and not at almost two grand

Well, I have to step in here and disagree with you. I have owned several computers and looked at all of them before purchasing my Sol. The screen is bright, crisp, well laid out and for my 50 year old eyes, a pleasure to read and use in real world diving. Plus I bought it for $1100 shipped to my door, everyone knows that you don't realistically pay MSRP.

Al true and well stated. Then why does the display for instance on the pro plus2 look SO much better, brighter and bolder then the display on the SOL? They've got to do better on the next generation, or I for on am not buying!! and not at almost two grand

As mentioned before, it's because there are different types of LCD displays; it has nothing to do with whether the LCD is arranged as a dot-matrix or as segmented letter/number templates.

Since you asked, the driving factor is probably cost. A dot matrix display requires a more powerful processor to drive it, since it has to draw the entire screen. The display itself is also more complex. Putting all that together probably limits the manufacturer a bit as to what quality of LCD it can use, so it's reasonable to assume they chose a slightly cheaper, lower-contrast LCD technology. A standard calculator-like template LCD is much simpler, smaller, draws less power and requires less robust processing. As such, they probably had headroom to choose a higher-contrast LCD.

The whole "dot matrix is not LCD" thing is indeed mistaken, but there are clearly differences in the quality/readability of different LCD displays. I remember having an old Palmpilot, and I was dazzled when I first saw the sharp, high-contrast screen on a Palm III or V (both were, of course, dot matrix LCDs).

The whole "dot matrix is not LCD" thing is indeed mistaken, but there are clearly differences in the quality/readability of different LCD displays. I remember having an old Palmpilot, and I was dazzled when I first saw the sharp, high-contrast screen on a Palm III or V (both were, of course, dot matrix LCDs).

Didn't know that Palm ever used dot matrix LCD technology, maybe a very long time ago. Today they are all TFT or similar newer technology and with the back light you get much better contrast. TFT together with back light use to much current to have in a non rechargeable device.

Another interesting option is uemis that uses OLED. Home - uemis - THE UNDERWATER REVOLUTION
Again this computer must be charged. Extremely good contrast in water, but not always in the sun.

Niclas

Hello. We can confirm that the galileo series will complete with the LUNA (moon) as say Nicolas. The LUNA comes with BLACK cover, and with or without transmitter. NO PMG, NO HRM.

Thanks

Scubastore Team.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom