Galileo Sol v.s. Suunto D9 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What does it offer that any other hoseless AI computer doesn't?

A lower price than the D9 and similarly tiny size.

Otherwise, same drawbacks... tiny screen, you have to look close to see, and still have to flip through multiple screens to see relevant information during the dive.

My buddy has an Atom, and while it's a fine computer, I'd buy the Oceanic VT3 before the Atom, in a heartbeat, again due to the small screen size issue. And again, my eyes are fine, it's just a matter of what gives the clearest "at a glance" view, and ease of use is a nice bonus as well.

Oceanic's software has traditionally sucked, though, so third-party alternatives (some free, some low price) may be worth considering.

I have D9 and Galileo Luna. Both are very good and I have had no problem in the water with either. Brief periods of loss of signal has occurred but were short lived.

Big difference is size and display. D9 can be worn anywhere (sort of) and the Galileo is like a small refrigerator on your arm. Difference is you don't have to squint to see the water temp on the Galileo.

The one thing that caused me to move to the Luna was the battery. I had the battery go out on the D9 on the plane to Roatan. It has to be sent to Suunto for replacement and costs $100+. The Luna has a replaceable battery and that is priceless.

The one thing that caused me to move to the Luna was the battery. I had the battery go out on the D9 on the plane to Roatan. It has to be sent to Suunto for replacement and costs $100+. The Luna has a replaceable battery and that is priceless.

that is the main reason i believe dc should be user replaceable battery. imagine you low battery indicator came on a couple of day before your dive trip.....:(

Even if the low battery indicator came on 2 weeks before a trip, it wouldn't be enough time to send to Suunto. Have seen videos of do it yourself tech on the board, but looked a little difficult and don't want to risk $1000 computer to errors.

I have both the D9 and the Sol, and I have to say that the Sol far exceeds the D9. The D9 was interfered with by adjacent wireless Suunto devices and was a constant headache during the synching phase, which in and of itself is a huge pain with the Suunto.
Additionally, for "maturing" divers, the incorporation of the heart rate into the decompression algorithm is probably one of the most physiological available for diving today. This is not standard on the Luna, which is also an excellent option. I've tossed my D9 and use it only as a watch because of the horrible unreliability in the presence of other devices. It's like an evil deco cabbage patch device that runs amok in the presence of other Suuntos.

Back
Top Bottom