Galileo Sol v.s. Suunto D9 ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....If I were shopping again today, I would compare the Sol to the Icon HD. Maybe the Icon would win due to a superior display. .....

Here you go
Albe_galileo_iconhd_s.jpg

Batteries:
Galileo Sol .... 2+ years ... and not changed yet
Icon HD ..... lasted a couple of dives (a week apart) ..... but I forgot to recharge it.

Wow, that looks great! I'd definitely give it a close look if I was buying today. I won't trade in my Sol but I might end up with the Icon if I was starting over.

I don't regret buying my Sol, the compass is excellent, I much prefer the large screen and like having air integration because it allows my to track my usage dive on dive (using the SmartTrak software). I do think the strap could be better though, it started cracking after only a few dives and I broke the pin when I slipped on the boat ladder when the boat lurched and rolled as I was exiting the water. The ladder caught on the computer and pulling it right off my wrist, lukily a diver still at 5m saw it drop and retrieved it for me. Ordered spare pins from the LDS, the arrived in a couple of days.

Dave

Which do you think is overall the better one?
If you own either one can you post up your thoughts and if you think there's a even better dive computer.

Better is relative, but given the price segment I'd give the Mares IconHD and the Uemis Zurich SDA a good look too. These compare more to the Galileo than the Suuntu, sizewise. The Mares isn't AI yet, but will be.

Personally, I find the Suunto 'watch' computers too small for comfort as computers.

Well put it this way.
If you had $1,500 to spend on a dive computer for nodeco diving what dive computer would you get?

Currently, the Uemis. But I'm biased as I'm diving one which isn't mine.

Last edited:
There is no comparison
Wife has a D9 - owned for a couple of years - transmitter never worked properly, picked up someone elses tranmitter on a rib a few weeks ago, resets evry time you turn it on, lost link in stoney cove at 30m, poor display, especially in low light, complex screen, little buttons (now how are you gonna do that with 5mm gloves...It is a fancy watch for talking about diving in the pub.
Have owned Uwatec AirZNitrox for 5 years - tranmitter is bullet proof - wife has just bought a Galileo sol - simple large screen, easy to read, same great AI transmitter system, upgradable software on line, screen can be set to simple display that changes to show more info when required, easy to read and you can change your own battery! Superb bit of kit.
Me, I like the sol, but will stick with my Airz for hols and VR3 for rest

IMHO... if you are a recreational diver, don't worry about the Liquivision. When you start looking at the Liquivision, you get even more confused. You are going to compare the VRX VR3 Shearwater....
If I were you, I won't consider a D9 just for the fact that it is not user replaceable battery. Both Luna and Sol are excellent DC but they are very technical computer. First I think you should decide what type of diving you going to do. Will you occasionally do deco dive? will you do multi-gas gas switch during dive? Are you diving both open circuit and close circuit? or you are just an average diver, dive recreational and do you travel a lot?
As you've mentioned earlier, you want to spend $1500 and no-deco dive only, I will pick up a Suunto Cobra3 as the primary then an Oceanic Geo as a backup. Unless you've changed your mind after all these discussion. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom