Galileo Sol - questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love mine with a few minor complaints. price, brightness of screen. size and the fact that they dont support MAC like they do PC Other then that, no issues at all

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you all like the computer? I have owned one for six months and I think I like it but still moan about the cost...

I like mine a lot. Although I did get it at a very good promotional price. I had a Smart Tec computer before the Sol and a Pro Plus 2 before that.

1. Large display.
2. Can document nearly all dive log info on paper without downloading to computer.
3. Buttons make it easier to navigate thru menus.
4. User replacable battery.
5. Keeps the same dive log software.

If I had more info on whether I can transfer my log info from my PC to a Mac with Vista I'd feel better about buying a Macbook.

I love mine with a few minor complaints. price, brightness of screen. size and the fact that they dont support MAC like they do PC (settle down there 'splash x") Other then that, no issues at all

The flexiabilty is top-notch... the compass is the bomb...it is extremely easy to set the mix then roll backwards. I do however feel a bit gaudy at time breaking it out on charters....I read a funny review by a recent purchaser on another site who stated when he brought it home for the first time the large of size of the Sol scared his old computer into a corner. I am happy with it...

Hi MisaC:

There are several old threads on this, but unless something has changed, you cannot load dives from the Sol onto a Mac using SmartTrak, which is a great product. I believe the issue is with the IR chip set that Mr Jobs dictates.

If you check the details on J-Trak, there are several things to note about IR interfaces, and apparently you cannot change Galileo preferences. SmartTrak works great on XP and Vista platforms. I have Mac's and PC's (photographer), and keep my dive info on the PC.

Good Luck!

Dan

true...true. Question on use of compass. Does one set the 'mark' in reverse on the boat to position a return to the boat? Or do you wait untill in the water to set it?

Hi MisaC:

If you check the details on J-Trak, there are several things to note about IR interfaces, and apparently you cannot change Galileo preferences.

Dan

Thanks, D!

I`ve changed all the preferences via software beside diving log...the only non-editable thing so far :)

true...true. Question on use of compass. Does one set the 'mark' in reverse on the boat to position a return to the boat? Or do you wait untill in the water to set it?
The best way to use the Galileo's compass is to set the "reference bearing" based on the location/heading you want to go to, not the reciprocal heading. Once you've set your reference bearing (a filled in dot symbol) the Sol automatically shows you the headings for the 3 navigation patterns that use a compass; Out-and-Back/reciprocal, Square/Rectangle, and Triangle. It does this with little symbols. A set of parallel lines, upside down "T", and a triangle symbol. This makes it easy to do the pattern you want. You simply head off in the direction of the reference symbol until you've reached your target or whatever you planned as a turn reference (time, distance, psi, ect.) and then turn until you hit the symbol for your pattern. What my buddy/wife and I use as a landmark determines whether we shoot the reference bearing on the boat or in the water. If we are using something on land as a reference (parallel to the shoreline, a lighthouse, building, hilltop,etc.), we shoot from the boat (it's just easier). If we are using an underwater object or a known/pre-determined heading, we shoot from underwater, usually starting from the anchor line. So we can use the anchor line as our underwater reference and end point (that's the theory anyway, since we've managed to over/undershoot the anchor line several times and popped-up with a "slight" surface swim left to get back to the boat).

Another frustrated Mac user. The issue, folks, isn't running the Jtrak software (although I personally am also quite underwhelmed with its feature set, which reminds me of a database program I used to run in Windows 3.1 back in 1996.)

The issue is that there are apparently no Mac-compatible IRDA devices available for sale, anywhere on the planet.

Or am I completely misunderstanding the issue and folks are able to plug a IRDA reader created for Windows into their Mac's USB port and have Parallels/Boot Camp identify/transfer the information to SmartTrak without problems? If the issue is "the chipset', as stated in another post, it would seem an IRDA device made specifically for Mac would be required.

Believe me, I've Googled until my fingers have bled looking for one. Unfortunately a post here mentioned devices that have been "tested and confirmed" for running Jtrak on Mac....but two of them are unavailable for sale and one is clearly Windows-based.

XTNDAccess IrDA USB:
Features and specs on Extended Systems XTNDAccess IrDA USB Adapter (ESI-9685) Infrared Adapter - Other Network Devices - Shopping.com
Operating System Microsoft Windows 98 Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

KC-180 USB IrDAdevice:
(No websites found that sell the device, so the issue is moot)

UWATEC-Lipstick (golden Edition)
(No websites found that sell the device, so the issue is moot)

The only option that looks viable is the Manta...

Twisted Melon Online Store : Fine Mac OS Software & Hardware

anyone tried it?

I'm just about to give up. I could use a Windows machine to resolve the tethering issue on my IPhone and to run accounting software that isn't awful (Quicken for Mac), so I'm looking for one with an IRDA port. Someone please tell me I can still find for sale, an IRDA dongle that will work with Windows, for crying out loud.

Back
Top Bottom