G9 colorspace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maged_mmh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've noticed that JPEG images from my G9 always has sRGB colorspace.
recently, I started shooting RAW and noticed whenever importing images to PS that the embedded colorspace is Adobe RGB :confused:.
I've tried to fiddle a bit with the camera menus and the bundled software; but cannot set the RAW files to have sRGB.
Is there something I'm missing?! or this is what it should work (camera decides which colorspace to use)?!
TIA.

but cannot set the RAW files to have sRGB.
RAW files have no colour space. The colour space is applied when the RAW files are converted to something else (TIFF, JPEG, PSD, etc).

whenever importing images to PS that the embedded colorspace is Adobe RGB
This is a function of your PS settings, you can change the settings in PS so that the images are imported as sRGB when they are converted from RAW by PS.

Some cameras like my 40D/50D give the option of saving JPEG shots in either sRGB or or Adobe RGB.

RAW files have no colour space. The colour space is applied when the RAW files are converted to something else (TIFF, JPEG, PSD, etc).

This is a function of your PS settings, you can change the settings in PS so that the images are imported as sRGB when they are converted from RAW by PS.

Some cameras like my 40D/50D give the option of saving JPEG shots in either sRGB or or Adobe RGB.
take a look at the message box (attached). read the 1st sentence carefully.

Attachments

• ps.JPG
    ps.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 76
How are you opening a RAW file in PS without first going through ACR or another RAW converter? RAW converters such as ACR are the bit that attaches the colour profile to the image when it is converted from RAW to TIFF, JPEG, PSD etc and opened in PS. In PS CS4 ACR gives me the option of converting the RAW image to the following colorspaces before opening the image in PS:

Adobe RGB (1998)
ColorMatchy RGB (1998)
ProPhoto RGB; and
sRGB IEC6 1966-2.1

I actually use Lightroom to do my RAW conversins before opening in PS and the o

As I said before RAW files have no colour space, it is added as part of the RAW conversion process and you set the colourspace for the resulting image.

Ah, I see now so, you were refering to the ACR=Adobe camera raw? :D
I've found a hyperlinked gamut under the photo when clicked it gave the options you mentioned above. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom