G260 Reviews - Warm and Cold Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there,

Since there are experts on G260 here, can I ask a question?

I just got back from a short trip to Dominican. I had a new MK17/G260 with me. The reg performed well but what I noticed was - I was consuming way too much air when I was diving to ~30m/100 feet. I had 3 dives to that level and all 3 times I was ending up with about 25% less air than by buddy and had to ascend dragging him up with me.

When we were using rental, I am normally close to what he was using and I was for shallow dives this time as well. But for the deep dives I was running out of air.

Any ideas?

I have heard from a few divers that they deliberately set their regs with high cracking effort because they 'use less air' even though it makes zero sense; in fact, if your reg is harder to breathe, you need to exert more effort and consequently should use more air.

But, maybe some divers that are not used to a reg flowing really easily will draw harder out of habit...it's just a guess. Or maybe psychologically if the air takes less effort you'll breathe more because you perceive it as plentiful, who knows. Anyhow, there is no way a high performing reg will require you to go through more air unless it's leaking. So try a few more dives with it, get used to it, and then see if you're still having problems.

Meanwhile, the beav must still be waiting on tech support. :wink:

I have heard from a few divers that they deliberately set their regs with high cracking effort because they 'use less air' even though it makes zero sense; in fact, if your reg is harder to breathe, you need to exert more effort and consequently should use more air.

But, maybe some divers that are not used to a reg flowing really easily will draw harder out of habit...it's just a guess. Or maybe psychologically if the air takes less effort you'll breathe more because you perceive it as plentiful, who knows. Anyhow, there is no way a high performing reg will require you to go through more air unless it's leaking. So try a few more dives with it, get used to it, and then see if you're still having problems.

Meanwhile, the beav must still be waiting on tech support. :wink:

Actually, in manual it says:

"A higher inhalation resistance does not necessarily imply a lower air consumption,in fact it may even have the opposite effect, due to the higher effort required totrigger the air flow increasing your work of breathing. "

My challange is - it should of had the same effect on me on shallow depth. Yes, it was setup for the max resistance - recommended by the dive centre.

"A higher inhalation resistance does not necessarily imply a lower air consumption,in fact it may even have the opposite effect, due to the higher effort required totrigger the air flow increasing your work of breathing. "

My challange is - it should of had the same effect on me on shallow depth. Yes, it was setup for the max resistance - recommended by the dive centre.

Which supports Haloclines post.

I think your issue is not related to the regulator. Go look in a mirror, there is where you might possibly find the problem. And if your dive center told you to set the regulator second stage to maximum effort then you need a new dive center as well.

N

Correct! The harder it is to breathe, then the more work it takes resulting in increased consumption.
Because your Scubapro G260 is set for Max resistance, you are working to breathe. As you go deeper, the air becomes denser resulting in increased work thus higher consumption. The reason it effects you more at depth is the work of breathing is extremely high.

Adjust your G260 to the easiest setting with the knob all the way out. Please report the results.

How is your diver adjustable Venturi Initiated Vacuum Assist (VIVA) dive/pre-dive control set?

I have dove MK25/G260 regulator set under the ice and it would be my go to choice if i had endless funds to spend for all the regulators needed. It feels the best i ever dove or serviced. I have experience in all sp regs except the new mk21 as well as other brands.

However i now prefer HOG as they are almost as good and i can get quite a lot of them for the price of one scubapro.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

Been diving 2 MK17/G260s since last spring, well over a hundred dives—many of them in sub 40 degree water, 34º yesterday (and luckily a few dives in much warmer water). They have functioned perfectly on every dive.

However i now prefer HOG as they are almost as good and i can get quite a lot of them for the price of one scubapro.

Glad to see the world is still in order... There can't be a discussion about a specific regulator without the mandatory HOG reference.

I have dove MK25/G260 regulator set under the ice and it would be my go to choice if i had endless funds to spend for all the regulators needed. It feels the best i ever dove or serviced. I have experience in all sp regs except the new mk21 as well as other brands.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

Can you guys lay off the on the Hog stuff. The poor fellow has an excellent regulator and made a good choice and will enjoy it for many years and will most likely be able to get parts for it 20 years from now. In 20 years, my bet is nobody will remember Hog.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom