G260/R195/MK17 vs XTX50/XTX40/DS4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ykenneth11

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to get my first set of regulator, and hoping the gear could last even in the future I go more advanced (may be tec?).

I did some research and seems both ScubaPro G260/R195/MK17 and Apeks XTX50/XTX40/DS4 are good set of gear. Both are balanced design, environmentally sealed, while they are not the very top of the line and wont hurt my wallet too bad. I guess they are both good enough for my foreseeable future and both could be easily serviced in my LDS.

Any comments on which set of gear to get? Pros and Cons of each set?

Thanks a lot and any advises are much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a pair of G260's with an MK25 first and they are nice regulators. I know nothing about Apeks except that they are considered excellent regulators. I would buy the ones that are easiest to get serviced by your local dive shop because I doubt you will find any difference in breathability or quality. If you are considering tec diving, I believe they recommend buying matching primary and octo.

Both are excellent regulators. If you can see if you can try them before purchasing. You may prefer one more than the other. Scubapro's usually have better resale than Apeks if that matters. If you want to do DIY servicing Apeks parts are usually easier to find. Which costs less?

They are both awesome equipment sets. My personal preference is with the MK17/G260. If you go with Apeks make sure you get the 5th port conversion for the DS4, it makes hose routing a lot easier for variety of configuration options.

Either way you will not make a mistake, I would also consider the service and support availability.

Both the Mk17 and DS4 are balanced diaphragm first stages. You cannot get a 5th port kit for the DS4, Apeks only do the upgrade kits for DST and FSR first stages.

The XTX50, XTX40, and G260 are balanced second stages. The R195 is an unbalanced second stage.

You can swap the XTX40, XTX50 and R195 regulators from right hand hose to left hand if you desire. You cannot do that with the G260.

In terms of build quality the Apeks are streets ahead of the Scubapro, however the Scubapro is a slightly smoother breathe. The Apeks are also much more tolerant of heavy use and light maintenance, the Scubapro are a little more temperamental and don't like neglect.

Of those you're looking at I'd go for whichever is the cheaper in your LDS and which can they get service parts more easily for. If I decided on the Apeks then, unless being able to swap the hose from right to left on the second stage is a "must have" feature, I'd actually go for the ATX40 second stage for both primary and octo as it is cheaper and more compact. You can still adjust cracking effort on the ATX40,you just don't get a nice, shiny, knob to do it during the dive and have to use a hex key before the dive instead.

I would never consider the Scubapro set....
The Halcyon sets are identical, and generally a bit cheaper...

I would avoid those first stages and choose to go with the Apeks DST because it's more versatile.

If you're going with name brands, XTX50/DST and either another XTX50 or XTX40 for octo. Don't be afraid to buy used, and don't be afraid to purchase a set for doubles or sidemount because it is never a bad idea to have an extra first stage in the save a dive kit.

I believe the G260 does allow a left or right hose attachment. Hickdive did point out that the R195 is not a balanced second stage.

I have very similar sets (G250V instead of G260) and I think both are excellent. I prefer the Apeks mouthpiece over the ScubaPro (others I dive with don't like the Comfo-bite...so personal taste). The DS4 only has one HP port, the MK17 has 2. The XTX50 2nd stage comes with narrow and wide exhaust tees (I prefer the wide). Apeks uses the same 1st stage and 2nd stage parts kits for all Apeks regulators except the Flight.

I dive both equally and I like them both. I would evaluate ease of service access (my LDS is both ScubaPro and Aqua Lung / Apeks), price, and which ones you like the looks of. I can't provide any technical detail differences (other than the HP port count and the unbalanced R195 alternate) or actual diving experiences that would cause me to prefer one model over the other.

You can swap the XTX40, XTX50 and R195 regulators from right hand hose to left hand if you desire. You cannot do that with the G260.

In terms of build quality the Apeks are streets ahead of the Scubapro, however the Scubapro is a slightly smoother breathe. The Apeks are also much more tolerant of heavy use and light maintenance, the Scubapro are a little more temperamental and don't like neglect.

The G-260 does allow you to switch the hose from left to right. That was one of the upgrades from the G-250. I don't own either a XTX or a G260, but I do own TX and ATX series and G500 and G250s and I feel the build quality is the same. Nor do I find Scubapros temperamental.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2015 at 08:25 AM ----------

Sevenrider, DS4 has two HP ports, the US4 is the unsealed version and only has one.

According to the Aqualung website is has only one.

Sevenrider, DS4 has two HP ports, the US4 is the unsealed version and only has one.

I must be confused and not trying to be argumentative. I am looking at my "DS4??" DIN 1st stage now. It does have the environmental end cap, has the words "Dry Sealed System", and it has a single HP Port. It is matches the DS4 parts in the DS4/US4/TEK3 service manual. It also matches the description of the XTX50 DS4 DIN on the website "The DS4 first stage lacks the rotating turret found on the XTX50 model and offers one HP port". I have 2MP and 1 HP port on one side and 2 MP ports on the opposite side. It is a 2014 model...could they have changed things in newer models?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom