G260/R195/MK17 vs XTX50/XTX40/DS4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would never consider the Scubapro set....
The Halcyon sets are identical, and generally a bit cheaper...

The Halcyon sets are not identical. The Halo a rebranded G-250 not a G-260 and the Auro is not a R-195 but more like a R-380.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2015 at 08:33 AM ----------

It is a 2014 model...could they have changed things in newer models?

Not according to Aqualung's website.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone's input. Truly helpful for my decision making.
Wondering when would I want a 2nd HP? Im not planning to use a wireless computer anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering when would I want a 2nd HP? Im not planning to use a wireless computer anyway.

desired orientation of the stage for required hose routing.....

The Halcyon sets are not identical. The Halo a rebranded G-250 not a G-260 and the Auro is not a R-195 but more like a R-380.

---------- Post added May 15th, 2015 at 08:33 AM ----------

Not according to Aqualung's website.

AMS, I knew the Halo was a 250, but thought the aura was a 195, first stages are identical though. Either way I don't think the 260 would bring enough to justify the pita it is to get parts for them if you diy service.

Something changed at Apeks, they used to have two HP ports and 4 LP ports standard.
4665.jpg

they used to look like that with three ports on each side, the one closest to the DIN fitting being HP.
View attachment 208517View attachment 208517

AMS, I knew the Halo was a 250, but thought the aura was a 195, first stages are identical though. Either way I don't think the 260 would bring enough to justify the pita it is to get parts for them if you diy service. View attachment 208517

In your original post you said the regulators are identical which means they are the same and they are clearly not the same. Halcyon struck a deal with Scubapro to sell older SP models under their own brand. The G-260 replaced the G-250 in SP's product lineup, its added the ability to change the direction of the hose (good for sidemount) and used a more compact housing. The R-195 is a reboot of the older R-190 which also allows the hoses to be swapped from left to right. The Aura looks like a R-380/395 that TUSA also sells. The case is more compact but you cannot swap hoses.

As to price, the Scubapro models appear to be cheaper. Looking at Extreme Exposure's website a Halo (G-250) costs $349 and a H-50D (Mk-17) costs $299, for a total of $648. A regular G-260/MK-17 is $579 at Leisurepro, a difference of $69.00. The R-195 and the Aura costs the same. I cannot be certain but it appears the Halcyon second stages do not include hoses which would be an additional cost. I doubled-checked the Halcyon prices with Wreck Diver Supply and they are the same as E.E. So comparing MAP to MAP Scubapro is less expensive for newer models.

Something changed at Apeks, they used to have two HP ports and 4 LP ports standard.
View attachment 208518

they used to look like that with three ports on each side, the one closest to the DIN fitting being HP.
View attachment 208517View attachment 208517

I do not own any DS4 first stages, I only own the DST and FST first stages so I do not have a first stage I can pull to look at. However, I am fairly certain that the DS4 only ever had one HP port. If you go to YouTube there are some older videos showing the regulator and it clearly has only one HP port. On SB there are posts going back to 2004 saying the DS4 only has 1 HP port. I think the image of one of the first stages is flopped, that is why it appears to have three ports per side.

ams511 is correct the DS4 only ever had 1 HP port. The only thing that ever changed on them was older versions did have a 1/2" primary LP port but thankfully Apeks did away with that.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2015 at 04:38 AM ----------

Well I'm 99.9% sure, I haven't asked Apeks so it is possible that before my time there was a 2HP port DS4 but I've never seen or heard of such a variant.

Back
Top Bottom