Fxxx Airline Ticket Policy.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoosier

Contributor
Reaction score

My parent are supposed to take an international flight tomorrow morning, but they just canceled a flight due to a medical condition (my mom doesn’t feel good). However, there were the fines for a ticket cancellation. It was about $400 per each.:( Actually, they just wanted to reschedule the tickets, but those tickets should be cancelled and repurchased based on their ticket policy. Yes, there is an agreement before purchasing the tickets though.

What kind of fxxx policy is it? :confused:

Have you ever gotten any money back (even partial money back) when your flight was cancelled without any explanation and waited for 4 hours for the next flight at the airport? (I am not talking about a weather delay here) I am a frequent flyer from Indy to Chicago. It is common practice to take a next flight with a various unverified excuse. :no

wow. so much has changed.

fdog belongs to a cool travel forum where they know this stuff cold.

Did she have a doctor's note?

What airline?

I know I have missed flights and gotten on the next one. Maybe, if it isn't THE next flight, but several days later...that's a bigger issue?

Normally to change a ticket it is around 100 dollars.

This was recently a topic of discussion in my family. While most of the rest of the family disagrees with me, the bottom line is that when you buy a ticket, you are entering into a contract. You, on the one hand pay money; the carrier, on the other, agrees to take you ... all subject to terms and conditions on the ticket.

But think of it like this: If you go into a restaurant and order dinner and they bring it out and put it in front of you and then you don't feel well or decide you aren't hungry, you can't reasonably expect not to have to pay.

ItsBruce:
But think of it like this: If you go into a restaurant and order dinner and they bring it out and put it in front of you and then you don't feel well or decide you aren't hungry, you can't reasonably expect not to have to pay.

What if your diiner is served next morning? Will you still take that dinner in the morning?

Why does it only apply to the customer, not a restaurant owner?

That's a very common thing for airlines everywhere.. if you want the flexbility to change flights then you need to spend more upfront. Travel insurance will usually cover any out of pocket expenses for trip cancellation due to illness.

There are two types of airfare: with restrictions, and unrestricted or full-fare.

Unrestricted/full-fare means you can make changes at will, or even get your money back. It gives you more flexibility with your travel plans, and thus many business travelers chose it for this very reason. But you pay through the nose for it when compared to the restricted fares on the same flight.

Restricted means just that. That's what most vacation travelers use. It's cheaper than full-fare (MUCH cheaper in many cases) but of course there are all sorts of strings attached, like non-refundable, non-transferable, advance purchase required, and the ubiquitous "any changes will result in a change fee + any additional airfare if any." The latter is because airfares generally get more expensive as the plane fills up (you actually see it in action on some airline websites such as Southwest), and also because airfares change often sometimes daily. In exchange for a cheaper airfare, you gamble that your travel plans won't change.

The only time the airline is obligated to put you on another flight without having to pay more is when it's either their fault (overbooking), or because of a covered delay such as caused by mechanical or weather conditions. With overbooking, if the airline cannot find a volunteer to give up a seat for you, you are actually entitled to a certain amount of compensation. For the others, the airline generally tries to get you on the next available flight(s) to your destination, with varying degrees of compensation as to food and overnight accomodations depending on the airline and maybe even the class of service you purchased.

Bruce is correct...when you purchase an airline ticket, you literally are purchasing something called a "Contract of Carriage." Most of us don't read it, but we should, as it's a binding contract. You signed it when you signed your name on the credit card receipt, and if you bought your ticket online, it's in the fine print of the last page (and sometimes requires you to check a box acknowledging it) before the "purchase" button appears.

That's why travel insurance is so important. I learned this lesson the hard way when my mother had to be scheduled for emergency surgery right before my Maui trip. I was able to reschedule the air travel part (with the change fee of course, fortunately the airfare remained the same for the new dates) but because I had purchased the rental car and hotel as part of a package, and did NOT buy the insurance at the time, I had to eat those costs :(

hoosier:
I am a frequent flyer from Indy to Chicago. It is common practice to take a next flight with a various unverified excuse. :no

The reason you can get away with it is because you likely purchased an unrestricted airfare ticket. Your parents most likely purchased a restricted airfare.

Occasionally, a kind-hearted ticket agent will let you do things on a restricted ticket that aren't normally allowed or require more money up front, but that's purely optional unless specifically mentioned in the Contract of Carriage.

Read the Contract of Carriage that came with the tickets, and it will spell everything out.

Some airlines will waive change of schedule fees in cases of very serious documented medical emergency. It depends on the airline and the actuall circumstances, and in the case of restricted airfare tickets, is discretionary on the part of the airline.

I recently had a flight delayed by about 10 hours due to mechanical problems. My baggage went on to the destination, but I rescheduled for the next day. There was no extra charge for rescheduling, because the delay made me miss my connection. The next day I arrived at the intermediate destination (San Juan) without difficulty. My luggage was waiting for me at the connecting flight's (also rescheduled wihout charge) gate. My return flights were pushed foward by a day to compensate for the day lost due to the missed flight, again without charge. In addition, the airline gave me a credit voucher for a couple of hundred dollars to compensate for the inconvenience. The carrier was American Airlines, and these were the least expensive restricted tickets.

We sometimes take the earlier flights if they have room without paying the change. I have missed flights and gotten on the next one without a change fee. I found the posts really helpful for the general way they do things...but the truth is, once you are at the gate, they pretty much try and deal with you.

Rondawg, which travel insurance do you use?

the other little trick about medical situations...is that you can make them decide they don't want you on the flight.

We had to cancel once, due to illness, and luckily had flight insurance. But even with the insurance and a doctors note only a certain % was reimbursed. It's all in the extra fine print.

If they cancel on you it is a whole different story - everything goes.

Hope your mother is feeling better!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom