???Future of Open Circuit Mixed Gas and Rebreather Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had the same thought because of rising costs of helium.

I wanted to bring it to the table thinking there is value to learn the skills involved when taking a course.

As someone who is just getting there foot in the door of this world, its seems to me that certain parties still very much value the skill set that can be taken away from OC mixed gas diving. Whereas other parties seem ready to leave it in the past and move forward.

I thought of the comparing OC Mixed Gas to Oxy/Acetylene welding. When we we learning it, the instructor told us, this is a dying practice but there is still value in learning it.
I absolutely value the skills learned in taking OC trimix first. It was always (still is) my thought that unless one is solid on OC then one has no business going to CC. If someone has to bail out on a rebreather they are an OC diver. When I switched from OC trimix to CCR the bailout part was "WTF is the big deal, this is what I've been doing for the last 12 years?". Bailout was no big deal. The issue is that the cost of OC trimix is more than just rising. It has gotten cost prohibitive.

In a perfect world, CCR Mod 1 folks would be told that the diver has to leave the loop and have to deco on bailout on every deco dive (so starting at the 70' stop) . Every deco dive. Not just in training. That would be cool.

I absolutely value the skills learned in taking OC trimix first. It was always (still is) my thought that unless one is solid on OC then one has no business going to CC. If someone has to bail out on a rebreather they are an OC diver. When I switched from OC trimix to CCR the bailout part was "WTF is the big deal, this is what I've been doing for the last 12 years?". Bailout was no big deal. The issue is that the cost of OC trimix is more than just rising. It has gotten cost prohibitive.

In a perfect world, CCR Mod 1 folks would be told that the diver has to leave the loop and have to deco on bailout on every deco dive (so starting at the 70' stop) . Every deco dive. Not just in training. That would be cool.
I was planning to take an OC trimix course, I am still on the fence. When I started looking at taking the course, the CCR route kept presenting itself. I definitely can see the value in taking the course (OC trimix).

This is when things start to become more confusing. One group says yes, take the course, the other group says no, start the rebreather path. One group says this is the best rebreather, the other group says its the worst. Right now my goal is to do a try dive on different units, figure out exactly what I want to do and choose a path.

To be honest, I can see myself taking the OC trimix course, I enjoy taking courses as I feel that most any type of training can add value. I am just not sure if it will come before or after.

Commitment

Diving a rebreather requires a lot of commitment in terms of money, training, practice and maintenance.

The obvious equipment cost is far far greater than open circuit. 10 or more times greater if you compare a single cylinder (new cost circa $1k for cylinder and regs) or a twinset at circa $1.5k. A rebreather plus bailout will be circa $10k or more. Basically the cost of a motorcycle compared with a pushbike (carbon fibre MAMILs didn’t need to spend that much!)

The training costs are for an intensive 5 days course for the "MOD1" initial training which is unit specific. If your existing skills are good and you’ve already got advanced nitrox training and experience, the course will be easier. Could not imagine a novice diver having an easy time on MOD1.

Once you’ve completed your MOD1, the hard work begins. You MUST practice as you need to have those skills drilled into your subconscious. Rebreathers are complex machines and require constant monitoring. Death awaits anyone who looses attention or focus.

You count rebreather dives by the hours spent on the unit and the number of ascents you do. Ascents are probably the most tricky phase of a rebreather dive as, unlike open circuit, there’s a lot happening with your buoyancy and reducing oxygen levels.

Buoyancy skills do eventually return. For some it only takes a few hours. Many people take a lot longer to be stable at shallow depths for a long time, a requirement for deeper diving due to the decompression obligations. Buoyancy is much easier at depth hence shallow practice is important— literally pool depths.

Be aware of the "50 hour" complacency incident awaiting most people. 50 hours, an arbitrary number, is when you start to get used to it and maybe start cutting corners or not thinking of the basics. My self-inflicted caustic cocktail bailout happened at 130 hours — just when I thought I had bucked the trend— a full bailout saved my life. Training and practice work.

Rebreathers seem to bide their time and will strike when you’re being complacent; take nothing for granted!

Maintenance is a vital aspect of rebreather diving. There’s any one of a thousand things can ruin your dive. Take care of your unit and equipment. Rebreathers need cleaning and periodic disinfecting.

Prior to any dive you must allocate time to build and set the unit up. You must be pedantic as you go through the process. Written checklists are really useful to instil discipline so you don’t skip steps. Just because someone on ScubaBoard only takes a few minutes to do this doesn’t mean you should follow their poor examples. Who is responsible for your kit? You, you and only you.

Rebreather diving is absolutely not for everyone. If you have commitment issues with any of the above, stick to Open Circuit diving. It’s far more simple and there’s much less to go wrong.

To be honest, I can see myself taking the OC trimix course, I enjoy taking courses as I feel that most any type of training can add value. I am just not sure if it will come before or after.
you can do extended range and use a normoxic trimix and thats all youll need for 75% of the dives you do - you can get experience with switching tanks and stuff even without trimix -just create a simulated dive plan. It will be the same physical disciplines and it wont be as expensive as long as you take it seriously and not kid yourself into think its the same thing .
However there is a huge difference psychologically to that and doing a deep dive with a significant deco obligation that you know that if you stuff up you could be badly bent or die.

Im a firm believer in having your OC skills totally nailed because if you get into strife at depth and with large deco obligations ahead of you you simply need as much mental band width as possible to deal with the issues at hand without fluffing about with hoses, regs, bottles, loop volumes etc

Know how your unit works like you built it and be thoroughly meticulous

Less expensive. Start earlier.

Not sure when I'll do mod 2 yet.
When you know you’re ready and not before.

MOD2, just like all advanced courses, requires superior skills as you will be constantly drilled during the course. You will be doing (simulated) decompression ascents, e.g. planning on a slate/notes and sticking to that plan. You must be able to hold your stops whilst "stuff" happens: OOG, bailout, dil flush, oxygen flush, high PPO2, SMB deployment …. All of them!

Whilst the deep stuff is easy, shallow can be miserable if the box masters you, not the other way round.

Coming Soon!

Round Table session with Bill Stone, Richard Pyle, Brian Greene, Charlie Roberson, and Simon Mitchell.

The episode will be out in September.

Interviews with Charlie, Richard, and Bill are out now.
Interviews with Simon and Brian will be out in the near future.

"Off Gassing" A Scuba Podcast

At least it’s good to know that production is built at the current points. Hopefully it’s a commodity bust and boom and they oversupply? 😉

Seems unlikely from what you say.

In the RF4 military diving video, the US dude mentions that the USN is moving away from OC deep and going all CCR.

In the RF4 military diving video, the US dude mentions that the USN is moving away from OC deep and going all CCR.
It’s probably not big enough of a market to make a difference, I imagine the USN is not gonna balk at paying expensive He

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom