Future of DiveShops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it strange that dive shops offer trips, not something that I have ever experienced, although I know that some dive ops here in UAE arrange trips to Thailand for example, however I personally prefer to do my own thing.

On saying that I have sort of committed to a Sri Lankan trip next year with the dive op where I have done my tech training to dive HMS Hermes, but there are only 10 of us and not a whole cattle boat load.

My main issue is having time off to go on the trips on the first place, and I am usually a bit of a last minute decider at times, depends a lot on flight availability where I can use my air miles specific to a certain airline.

As for affluence and dive gear ownership, well I am not affluent, I have spent all my affluence on UW camera gear :D

I'm guessing rich people are more apt to get a 2nd or 3rd set of gear. Things like BP/W, side-mount gear, a full-face mask with communicator module, a HUD dive mask, might be of interest.

Richard.

You're talking about "the very serious diver" who becomes affluent.

I'm talking about "the very affluent" who become divers.

These folks will more than likely buy a full set of gear for everyone in their family right up front. Probably a better-than-midlevel set. They will then dive it for years, having it serviced annually before their vacation to Hawaii or the Caymans or what have you. Because they bought higher-end stuff upfront, they won't really have a need - much less a desire - to upgrade anytime soon. For sure they will not buy 2nd and 3rd sets of gear. They won't go sidemount, FFM, etc. If they get more and more into it... they will spend their money traveling and diving more often. They will buy cameras. They might buy different sets of exposure protection for different environments. They might replace things like masks and fins as they better understand what's comfortable and/or improve their technique. They may pursue AOW or specialties.

Keep in mind "you're not the customer" and that most certified divers are not "very serious divers" when you come down to it. Most divers are underwater tourists.

An infinitesimally small proportion of people who "become divers" become gear-hoarding, sidemount-diving, rebreather-craving, three-liveaboard-trips-a-year, wreck/tech/cave wannabes. These people are largely found on ScubaBoard. Most divers are found... well, they're found out diving somewhere. And when they're done diving... they go back about their lives without thinking about diving until the next time they go diving.

Without meaning this as a judgmental slight, the vast majority of people who take up this sport and stick with it for a bit do not really become "divers" but rather they become "people who occasionally go diving."

---------- Post added November 8th, 2014 at 10:10 AM ----------

Without meaning this as a judgmental slight, the vast majority of people who take up this sport and stick with it for a bit do not really become "divers" but rather they become "people who occasionally go diving."

At the risk of quoting myself... I think this is a major disconnect for the industry. Certainly for the typical LDS owner.

I'm convinced that the zeal with which they try to sell $1,500 worth of gear and $1,000 worth of training to every single person who walks through the door -- You need to buy all your own gear, you need AOW, you need to dive locally, try this drysuit, YOU NEED TO BE A DIVER! And so do your wife and kids! Tech divers, in fact! So you'll need eight sets of doubles, etc -- chases off FOUR people who would have purchased $500 worth of gear and $400 worth of training for every ONE person who buys into the whole "Be A Diver" lot.

Last edited:
Robert Herjavec from Shark Tank is a PADI certified diver. He started the sport as a kid. But, I'm sure he dumps far more money into auto racing and golf. Our sport doesn't have sex appeal because it lacks competition other than the freediving element ... and online bragging. Without some sort of trophy (other than card collecting) there is little reason to spend lots of money to impress others - especially since most recreational standards are easily met for certification.

I've known several failed businesses that attempted to cater specifically to the affluent diver and prospective student. Many dive from their own yachts and hire instructors who have all the necessary crew certifications. When they leave the yachts for shops their people often just negotiate a price for a private outing.

...I've known several failed businesses that attempted to cater specifically to the affluent diver and prospective student. Many dive from their own yachts and hire instructors who have all the necessary crew certifications. When they leave the yachts for shops their people often just negotiate a price for a private outing.

This is what I do. (on the instructor end of the equation)

I have provided diving experiences for several families on board their own family yachts. They have universally never set an equipment budget, and after a quick look at the mathematics (if at all), they specify, "go buy new, whatever you think, make it happen". I don't care to argue about it, but they all want to be PADI divers. And so they should be.

So, step #1, I am their personal shopper. I really enjoy spending money, especially other people's money.

Step #2, ship it to US port of departure.

Step #3, arrive a day or more early and make sure all the pieces fit. Shop locally if needed.

Step #4, take some happy folks diving.

I can live with that. It isn't "my business", it hasn't "failed", but I'm keeping my day job. It's a nice diversion, has always been pleasant, and the tips are pretty memorable.​ I get my next trip and clients via word-of-mouth.

How is this relevant to the discussion? I stand by my earlier post, #9 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/494951-future-diveshops.html#post7260485

Reactions: RJP
I agree with you, Doc. The sport will definitely go back to its roots of trailers and basements. A brick and mortar store will be one where a guy has a compressor in his garage and moved his truck outside.

I agree with you, Doc. The sport will definitely go back to its roots of trailers and basements. A brick and mortar store will be one where a guy has a compressor in his garage and moved his truck outside.

i have too much dive gear in my garage to open a dive shop

Questions for independent "basement" instructors:-

a) How many of you are here? A show of hands please?

b) What made you leave the LDS and teach on your own? What can the LDS do get you out of your basements into their shops?

Thanks -

Questions for independent "basement" instructors:-

a) How many of you are here? A show of hands please?

b) What made you leave the LDS and teach on your own? What can the LDS do get you out of your basements into their shops?

Thanks -

I'm an independent instructor, but I never worked for a dive shop. I have a full time job in a non-related field and became an instructor because I love diving and want others to experience it. How could a shop get me to come in as an instructor? I'd be open to short term contract work, but I'm pretty happy the way I'm doing it now.

At the risk of quoting myself... I think this is a major disconnect for the industry. Certainly for the typical LDS owner.

I'm convinced that the zeal with which they try to sell $1,500 worth of gear and $1,000 worth of training to every single person who walks through the door -- You need to buy all your own gear, you need AOW, you need to dive locally, try this drysuit, YOU NEED TO BE A DIVER! And so do your wife and kids! Tech divers, in fact! So you'll need eight sets of doubles, etc -- chases off FOUR people who would have purchased $500 worth of gear and $400 worth of training for every ONE person who buys into the whole "Be A Diver" lot.

Interesting. I've seen the sentiment in other threads that the alleged poor state of modern mainstream OW training tends to product large numbers of inadequately trained divers who are insecure and, upon getting rattled by their 1st few OW experiences post-cert., hang up their fins. The view is that more rigorous, thorough training up front in the basic OW course would turn out more competent divers better satisfied with their post-cert. experiences who would be more likely to stick with diving.

Which runs contrary to PADI's modular approach to dive training, broken down into smaller sequential modules so as to lower the entry bar and maximize the appeal of scuba to a broader audience.

There are probably far more potential 'diving dabblers' than 'serious divers.' From a LDS perspective, perhaps it makes more sense to market to them.

So, what do people then do to cultivate relationships with the 'diving dabbler' market? Emphasize aquarium-like conditions dive tourism? Dive computers with intuitive interfaces cost more money. I guess include rental of such in the trip cost, and maybe you can encourage people to book your trips?

Richard.

The view is that more rigorous, thorough training up front in the basic OW course would turn out more competent divers better satisfied with their post-cert. experiences who would be more likely to stick with diving.

To me there's a disconnect between "more rigorous" training and "high quality" training. More "rigorous" training will turn many people off in and of itself. If that training comes with a higher price tag... that will of course turn even more people off.

High quality training can be done within current standards and current pricing. Why do I say that? I'm a product of such training. I've seen such training done. I've done such training myself. There are many instructors who deliver high-quality divers under the current, ostensibly low, training standards. It's really not that hard.

There is a balance needed somewhere between ensuring that training is effective and produces skilled divers... and requiring training that presents physical, logistical, and financial barriers to a significant pool of potential divers.

Back
Top Bottom