Future of DiveShops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once again I would like to ask

a) Independent Instructors
b) Dive shops

How often do you guys host Discover Scuba sessions in hotels, apartment buildings, sports complexes etc. Do people who do Discover Scuba sign up or do most of them never show interest towards certification?

I ask because I know hang-gliding exists. I have never done it because I do not wish to go and try something that is way out there. If there was a free session somewhere close to where I live then I would surely try it.

Can anyone please comment on their experience with this style of aggressive marketing?

I did a free scuba session in our hotel pool the first time I went to Hawai'i, quite a few years ago. I loved it and did the full DSD. I would have gone on and gotten certified back then if I had not gotten injured that afternoon. Years later I did another DSD and was hooked again. That's why I then got certified.

A number of years ago I was diving with an operator on a Caribbean Island, and he had an interesting tale of woe when we were driving by an abandoned hotel on the way to the dive site. The hotel had gone out of business because of some kind of shady business dealings, not for lack of occupants. He had had the concession for doing scuba demonstrations in the pool. He said MOST of the people who did those demonstrations went on to do the full DSD, and many of those went on to be certified during that week's vacation. That was pretty much his entire operation then, and he was doing very well. When the hotel went out of business, he had to change his operation completely to what it was when I used his services.

Are you kidding? KILL, KILL KILL! Exterminate them! has been a very common theme lately with the diving public. Kill them all, small, big and medium. Dump their bodies if you want, or eat them.. we don't care.. but ENJOY hunting and killing fish...

Now if we could get Arlo Guthrie to put that to music...

Of course I am talking about lionfish. So funny that people that shoot and catch a snapper to eat are environmental terrorists, but kill a lionfish and scramble his brains and you are a freaking hero!

...and the [-]sergeant[/-] instructor came over, pinned a medal on me,
Sent me down the hall, said "You're our boy". Didn't feel too good about it.

Don't even have to change the old song much.

Bob
------------------------------------------------------
"If you don't like it, go on the internet and complain." Brian Griffin

Once again I would like to ask

a) Independent Instructors
b) Dive shops

How often do you guys host Discover Scuba sessions in hotels, apartment buildings, sports complexes etc. Do people who do Discover Scuba sign up or do most of them never show interest towards certification?

I ask because I know hang-gliding exists. I have never done it because I do not wish to go and try something that is way out there. If there was a free session somewhere close to where I live then I would surely try it.

Can anyone please comment on their experience with this style of aggressive marketing?

Free?

FREE!?!

Bulls**t free...

The best things in life... cost money!

Figure out who has interest in doing a DSD (+ high likelihood to convert is good, but not necessary) ... and CHARGE them for a DSD experience. I don't mean throw them in a pool and breath underwater experience. I mean a bigger experience. Wrap additional fun around the fun of being in the water.

Partner with a local wine shop and have a "wine and cheese tasting DSD" and charge $40 a head. Do DSD + Pizza birthday parties for kids. Don't forget, mom or dad need to watch video and sign off... and they will surely stay to watch their kids dive. Even if no kids sign up for OW on the spot you've exposed 20 parents to diving and MADE $300. So you're in the black from the outset. But imagine if even ONE family comes back. Two? Suppose five of them each tell 5 people how cool it was? Worst case scenario, you sell two more $300 "Scuba + Pizza Party." (Which, I can tell you as a parent of two kids is still cheaper - and way cooler - than a Chuckee Cheese or bowling party.

Take pictures - one of EVERY SINGLE KID - and put your logo on them. Post them on your FB page and email them to participants THAT DAY. They will be shared with thousands of people in the area within 24hrs.

Price your DSD's at $50 per person... and then donate four of them to the silent auction at every charity in town. They list it as a "$200 value" in their program (plus you're recognized as a member of the community) The person who bids, say $100 and wins it will only do so because he has SOME level of actual interest that is far above the "free" cutoff. Even if he never comes in for the DSD - even if no one bids on it - you've gotten your shop's name out their as a good guy in the community in front of 100 or more people in the area. People with money... because poor people don't go charity auctions.

What else don't poor people do? Let's see...

Buy houses - get with local realtors to put your "$200 value" DSD vouchers in the 'Welcome to Town' packages that they give to people who are moving into the area.

Install pools - let local pool shops give their high-end customers "$500 value" at-home DSD vouchers.

Travel - partner with a travel agent. Yes, they still exist. And you know who uses them? Affluent people. And they send these people on tropical trips. Every time they book someone on a trip to a diving location three or four months out they can give them a "$200 value" voucher. "There's great diving on ______. Here's a voucher for "Captain Sinbad's Dive Center" down the street, where you can try it for free here. If you like it there's time to get certified before you leave or you can get certified on _________."

Even if you don't charge for any of those things... none of the above ideas are FREE in the eyes of the participant.

[MODERATORS: can we please put the word FREE on the same autocensor list as ****, *****, ******-******, and ******? At least in any thread that talks about "The Future" of the industry.]

Take pictures - one of EVERY SINGLE KID - and put your logo on them. Post them on your FB page and email them to participants THAT DAY. They will be shared with thousands of people in the area within 24hrs.

Better make sure you have an adult sign a release for every one of those kids before you do that.

Better make sure you have an adult sign a release for every one of those kids before you do that.

Animal%2BHouse.jpg

"He's on a roll... just go with it."

Don't get caught up in the details. The point is that the potential is only limited by our (lack?) of imagination.

Of course get permission. And actually I would NOT post them on my FB page, but email pics to the parents... which is more important. Let THEM post the pics and then you can tag yourself and/or the shop. Include the photo as part of the package. In fact, the birthday kid's mom leaves with a thumb drive with all the photos. Hell, print them in the shop and put each kid's photo in a custom cardboard picture frame with your logo and website on it. ($100 for 1000 at your local quicky-print) and then you'll have an ad for your shop on the refrigerators of 20 families for the next several YEARS!

ss_F6637_M.jpg

Friend: "Hey - is that Timmy?"
Dad : "Sure is. He had a blast."
Friend : "Cool! I've always wanted to try that..."
Dad : "You should call John Adsit.... his number's right there. Great guy. You'll love him."

Free?

FREE!?!

Bulls**t free...

The best things in life... cost money!

Figure out who has interest in doing a DSD (+ high likelihood to convert is good, but not necessary) ... and CHARGE them for a DSD experience. I don't mean throw them in a pool and breath underwater experience. I mean a bigger experience. Wrap additional fun around the fun of being in the water.

Partner with a local wine shop and have a "wine and cheese tasting DSD" and charge $40 a head. Do DSD + Pizza birthday parties for kids. Don't forget, mom or dad need to watch video and sign off... and they will surely stay to watch their kids dive. Even if no kids sign up for OW on the spot you've exposed 20 parents to diving and MADE $300. So you're in the black from the outset. But imagine if even ONE family comes back. Two? Suppose five of them each tell 5 people how cool it was? Worst case scenario, you sell two more $300 "Scuba + Pizza Party." (Which, I can tell you as a parent of two kids is still cheaper - and way cooler - than a Chuckee Cheese or bowling party.

Price your DSD's at $50 per person... and then donate four of them to the silent auction at every charity in town. They list it as a "$200 value" in their program (plus you're recognized as a member of the community) The person who bids, say $100 and wins it will only do so because he has SOME level of actual interest that is far above the "free" cutoff. Even if he never comes in for the DSD - even if no one bids on it - you've gotten your shop's name out their as a good guy in the community in front of 100 or more people in the area. People with money... because poor people don't go charity auctions.

What else don't poor people do? Let's see...

Buy houses - get with local realtors to put your "$200 value" DSD vouchers in the 'Welcome to Town' packages that they give to people who are moving into the area.

Install pools - let local pool shops give their high-end customers "$500 value" at-home DSD vouchers.

Travel - partner with a travel agent. Yes, they still exist. And you know who uses them? Affluent people. And they send these people on tropical trips. Every time they book someone on a trip to a diving location three or four months out they can give them a "$200 value" voucher. "There's great diving on ______. Here's a voucher for "Captain Sinbad's Dive Center" down the street, where you can try it for free here. If you like it there's time to get certified before you leave or you can get certified on _________."

Even if you don't charge for any of those things... none of the above ideas are FREE in the eyes of the participant.

[MODERATORS: can we please put the word FREE on the same autocensor list as ****, *****, ******-******, and ******? At least in any thread that talks about "The Future" of the industry.]

Excellent ideas! Now how much of this have you put in practice and to what results?

Excellent ideas! Now how much of this have you put in practice and to what results?

A.) I've been involved in the general concept of each of these within and outside scuba
B.) They all work as well - or as poorly - as the execution of the idea in your specific situation

I live in an affluent, suburban area. Parents here think nothing of dropping $500 or more on their kid's birthday parties. Plus, they are always looking to out do themselves from last year and/or the other kid's parties. We also have innumerable churches, synagogues, private schools, PTA's, libraries, hospitals, chapters of AHA, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation, and all other manner of charitable organizations who are always looking for in-kind donations for raffles and silent auctions. So if you are similarly situated - geographically and/or demographically - these things may work well for you. On the other hand, If you're in an urban area with mostly single millennials and couples with no kids or a more blue-collar area that has bake sales for the PTA instead of black-tie dinners... I'm guessing a dozen 10yr olds playing "Pin the Tail on the Dolphin" and the like will have less appeal.

Either way, someone had to be the first person to look at a lobster and say "You know, I bet with a little bit of melted butter..."

Last edited:
Some promotions are doomed to fail.

[video=youtube;lf3mgmEdfwg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg[/video]

Reactions: RJP
That sort of thing sells an awful lot of Corvettes, however. (Though see "PS" below.)

Years ago I coined the term "bliminal" to describe what the headline would say if we could actually reveal what we learned in the market research. Of course we'd never actually run an add that said "Drive a Corvette - just in case your p***p really IS is smaller than average" or "Feed your children Quaker Oats - and stop feeling guilty about being a working mom. We know you're not REALLY a selfish b***h"

PS - Corvette ads for men typically don't show women. If there is a person in a Corvette ad targeted to men... it will typically show another man. Or more often than not, it will imply another man. Why?

This is subtle, but important. It goes to the power of knowing what problem your customer REALLY has, and then solving that. The insight the brand knows about the target audience is that the insecure American man is not really concerned about "getting" a women... they are concerned about being compared to another man. Every man can take being rejected by a woman... unless it's because of another man.

The message is very clearly "If you drive a Corvette you won't have to worry about 'coming up short' compared to anyone."

68_Corvette_ad.jpg

1971_Corvette.jpg

1984%20Chevrolet%20Corvette%20Ad-04.jpg

1985%20Corvette%20Ad-01.jpg

1985-Corvette-vs.-Europe.jpg

ad_corvette_pace_car_1978_side.jpg

1985%20Corvette%20Ad-03.jpg

---------- Post added November 21st, 2014 at 12:45 AM ----------

Reminds me of British comedian Eddie Izzard's take on the cliche American bumper sticker:

"Guns don't kill people. People kill people... but having a gun helps."
I get a kick out of these ads. If people only knew what a total POS these things are underneath and how they're put together. I know, I used to work on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom