Future Directions: Where Is Diving Going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The “new normal” will last until immunity, natural or vaccine.

Heck, its not even lasting that long in the general community. North Carolina numbers are climbing and we are opening up more public venues. Push back has increased and precautions have decreased as we become accustomed to the deaths. The shock value is no longer there and until someone is directly effective by Covid 19 it is now just numbers on the screen/paper.
This helps explain your post regarding behavior at the grocery store in another thread Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

All they will need to do is to dump it in soapy water for a minute, rinse and dry. Mask rinse buckets that use baby shampoo will be perfect for such a thing.
Source for this information?

The physical friction seems to be an important part of using soap and water. Wouldn't you need to physically scrub at your gear in order for soap and water to work?

The physical friction seems to be an important part of using soap and water. Wouldn't you need to physically scrub at your gear in order for soap and water to work?
I believe I saw a report that indicated that soapy water destroyed the outer layer of the covid-19. Your skin is like a sponge, so a virus can sink right in. Scrubbing that skin exfoliates it and allows the soap to come in contact with the beasties, killing them. A Scuba regulator is built of impermeable surfaces, so there's simply no hiding from the soap. No, I'm not an expert and it behooves you to do your own research on this.

3947592-003-0flat_jh-1.png

I believe I saw a report that indicated that soapy water destroyed the outer layer of the covid-19. Your skin is like a sponge, so a virus can sink right in. Scrubbing that skin exfoliates it and allows the soap to come in contact with the beasties, killing them. A Scuba regulator is built of impermeable surfaces, so there's simply no hiding from the soap. No, I'm not an expert and it behooves you to do your own research on this.

DAN disagrees.
Disinfection of Scuba Equipment and COVID-19
"Divers Alert Network was asked why soap and water will not work for scuba equipment if it is recommended for hands. Soap and water, as stated above, must be combined with mechanical action to be completely effective. Soaking scuba equipment in soapy water alone is not an effective disinfection method. If soapy water was combined with mechanical action, it would theoretically prove to be more efficient. However, there are some parts of scuba equipment that are not easily reached without disassembly, such as the inside of a regulator. Since an exhaled breath will travel through the inside of a regulator and make contact with the diaphragm, lever arm, and other internal surfaces, soaking the regulator in a disinfectant solution may be a better option."

The “new normal” will last until immunity, natural or vaccine.

Heck, its not even lasting that long in the general community. North Carolina numbers are climbing and we are opening up more public venues. Push back has increased and precautions have decreased as we become accustomed to the deaths. The shock value is no longer there and until someone is directly effective by Covid 19 it is now just numbers on the screen/paper.
Obviously the economies have to open up-- lest there be incredible chaos. And with that comes more Covid cases and deaths.
I agree with what you say about the "new normal". So what are we talking about here- a year or less for a vaccine? I saw on TV it could be ready at least for front line workers and then the most at risk people by January. I mean, they've found vaccines for all the other stuff--measles, small pox, on & on. Logic says that once everyone can get vaccinated everything goes back to the "old" normal. I assume the vaccine will be free in Canada. Elsewhere...?

All they will need to do is to dump it in soapy water for a minute, rinse and dry. Mask rinse buckets that use baby shampoo will be perfect for such a thing.
I'm not sure where this will take us. Online stores are feeling the pinch as well as brick and mortar stores. Resorts are really feeling the loss of business and it's even trickling down to people who rely on them, like ScubaBoard.

It's my opinion that the best thing you can do for our sport is to go diving as soon as you feel safe. Take a class. Take a cruise on a liveaboard. Patronize a resort. Hey, I wouldn't mind you going red, either! :D :D :D
You can do all those things you list Pete. Not me. Haven't done any of them in some time anyway. You're gunna "social distance" on a liveaboard? On a CRUISE??? Take a class--maybe. Our shop is starting up now with all the new precautions. If I were in the market to take one it would be after I get the vaccine. Seems to me pools, like gyms may not be the best places to be if you don't want to catch something. But, I don't suppose a Continuing Ed course such as AOW or specialties wouldn't be any more risky than going in a store. I wonder how good the Rescue course will be now with the adjustments to avoid close contact?
I almost always solo dive, but wouldn't consider a buddy dive right now. Here at least we still are legally allowed to have one or 2 people (that live together) from outside your home visit you. And there are rules for the size of groups that can congregate (with 6' between each person). I don't know how that would affect say an AOW course of 8 people should that ever occur. It's hard to keep up as things seem to always change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom