Future aka New Normal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAB, AirAsia to increase capacity as demand soars

AirAsia is also looking forward to the reopening of international borders by the governments in the world to allow air transportation to resume, said Fernandes.

“AirAsia’s website is experiencing (a) traffic growth of 170%. Some of the most popular routes booked include....Jakarta to Denpasar and Medan for Indonesia,” the statement read.
This article compared currents numbers with a period of practically no flights. Further, it is all and only about domestic flights. And: “Currently, flight tickets are still expensive like more than doubled from the normal period". But the positive part of the story is that people seem to be willing to fly again.

i have said it before and i will say it again ad nauseum. The 'noone will fly' doomsday scenario is based in nothing other than the desire to overly sensationalize the situation. the second people can fly, they will.Some budget carriers will go bust and someone else will pick up that route weeks later. I was on the first flight from Toronto to cancun and it was a full flight. All the rest o the flights that week were full. people are looking for the first 'exit' to diving. I booked a November 2020 trip to Papua today.. Divers are a hybrid of engineers and gamblers, they won't sit waiting for global 'all clear' .......the fear of missing out is greater than the fear of infection.. i dove internationally in june...i'll dive in internationally in july and august...i'll socially distance, Covid is not a scam, but it's also not the deathknell of travel.

if it gets more expensive, divers will still pay, just as i always say about insurance and better operations/better paid DMs..

Hang in there diveops! we're a comin!

i have said it before and i will say it again ad nauseum. The 'noone will fly' doomsday scenario is based in nothing other than the desire to overly sensationalize the situation. the second people can fly, they will.Some budget carriers will go bust and someone else will pick up that route weeks later. I was on the first flight from Toronto to cancun and it was a full flight. All the rest o the flights that week were full. people are looking for the first 'exit' to diving. I booked a November 2020 trip to Papua today.. Divers are a hybrid of engineers and gamblers, they won't sit waiting for global 'all clear' .......the fear of missing out is greater than the fear of infection.. i dove internationally in june...i'll dive in internationally in july and august...i'll socially distance, Covid is not a scam, but it's also not the deathknell of travel.

if it gets more expensive, divers will still pay, just as i always say about insurance and better operations/better paid DMs..

Hang in there diveops! we're a comin!
You can be completely right. Looking at behaviour in general the last weeks you would think so. It would be great for us. Nothing to lose and all to win. I do not recognize the gambler/engineer type among our regular guests that much and I wonder if that would be the majority of divers. We still many guests getting nervous if an inflator hose is leaking a bit at the connection to the inflator. And many guests who did not want to fly with a company when it was blacklisted in Europe. Anyway, you are always welcome.

Best guess is that as Vietnam still does not allow entry for EU citizens, therefore it makes no sense to the remove the travel advisory.
Thank, yes that should the reason. As is the case with China.

A lot better than some other countries, that's for sure

There's no way that I want to end up in hospital in Indonesia, most especially without another healthy person to be providing me support whilst I'm laying there trying to live. Even if such an angel existed, that's not going to happen during Covid.

Don't try to tell me otherwise. My father died in an Indo hospital.

I think I need to gove some perspective on the 50/100k infections per week :)
Firstly, it is a political number set forth when Germany was moving from a nation/state wide approach to more localised measures. No sientific basis, roughly equal to the highest numbers Germany recorded end of March/early April and though to be way to high by most. Berlin e.g. has lowered it's threshold 30/100k/week with alarms starting at 20/100k/week.
Secondly, as things are, this has then been taken over by others countries (like so often, you need one to start :wink:).
As of today, of the major European countries, only Sweden is above that at 76, Germany at 4 and the previously mentioned Netherlands are at 3, like Indonesia. Singapore is at 22.
Which leads us to opening travel (remember, Germany only has a travel advisory, to a travel ban. If I can get there I can go to any country in the world, even if war and plague are raging there). And it becomes again highly political and very unfair.
E.g., the EU might decide that it is save to travel or transit through Singapore but still would advise against travel to Indonesia. The reasoning for that would run along the lines that Singapore can provide better health care to sick travellers and that the current cases in Singapore are more confined to the workers dormitories. Sounds unfair with Indonesia having lower rates of infection? Definately, but that's politics :(.

Hope that helps a little to make things clearer and gives an insight into how Europe will re-start world-wide travel.

Let us not forget that there's a difference between reported numbers and actual numbers.

Let us not forget that there's a difference between reported numbers and actual numbers.
True. Current asumption for Germany is that the number of people affected is 10x higher. There are multiple studys underway, with one randomised study in Munich currently perparing their findings based on anti-body-tests. As those have an issue with flase-positve responses due to the 4 other Coronaviridae prevalent in humans, they do run their tests multiple times with different methods to be as exact as possible with their findings it will take till end of July for a first paper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom