Funniest Diving quotes you have heard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving in Bocas del Toro, Panama a few years ago, and as I was ascending from the dive, I noticed that I'd be surfacing into one of Panama's typical afternoon torrential rain storms. The rain drops pelting the surface looked and sounded like a gravel truck unloading into the water. I literally thought to myself, "I don't want to get out, now. I'll get soaked!"

Before we decided to settle in Bocas del Toro my wife and I visited on numerous occasions. On our very first visit we were staying at a nice bed and breakfast and I awakened in the middle of the night seriously thinking a train was passing by our location. It turned out that it was one of those torrential downpours on the tin roof. Your description is very accurate!

"Can one swim or dive under the island to the other side?"

Oddly enough I used to live near a lake with an island you could swim under. It just happened that this island was made mostly of a huge chunk of floating pummice that was bouyant enough to float, but heavy enough not to move around the lake (much).

I wasn't trained to dive at the time, though, so I haven't had the priveledge of passing under the island. They say it's like diving a cave with no side walls.

Oddly enough I used to live near a lake with an island you could swim under. It just happened that this island was made mostly of a huge chunk of floating pummice that was bouyant enough to float, but heavy enough not to move around the lake (much).

I wasn't trained to dive at the time, though, so I haven't had the priveledge of passing under the island. They say it's like diving a cave with no side walls.

Where was that? I would love to look that up and read up on it. It sounds very cool.

Where was that? I would love to look that up and read up on it. It sounds very cool.

It's called Island Lake on the Grand Mesa in Western Colorado. The Grand Mesa is a remnant of a prehistoric lava flow and is mostly made of volcanic rock, including pummice.

As I said, I can't confirm the stories about the island because I've never dove it. I just remember the old timers talking about it when I was a kid. The lake is pretty deep just off the island, so I do believe it could be true.

If I remember correctly it does contact the bottom on at least one side, so it's probably not technically floating, but there are supposedly places along the sides where you can pass completely under it. It doesn't sound as cool when you put it that way, though ;-)

There used to be a floating island in one of the ponds in RI. It was basically just a raft of woven plant roots that wasn't tethered to the bottom at all. One day the island would be on one side of the pond, the next day it would've drifted to the other side. Kids used to swim under it. It's a little before my time, so I've never been, but here's a link to a page about it.

Quahog.org: The Infamous Floating Island of Lonsdale

One of the only islands you could swim under.

There used to be a floating island in one of the ponds in RI. It was basically just a raft of woven plant roots that wasn't tethered to the bottom at all. One day the island would be on one side of the pond, the next day it would've drifted to the other side. Kids used to swim under it. It's a little before my time, so I've never been, but here's a link to a page about it.

Quahog.org: The Infamous Floating Island of Lonsdale

One of the only islands you could swim under.

Funny I just ran into you in another thread :D don't think they would be as tolerant of :hijack: as this one :D

Yep Aussie Humour is pretty dry and subtle sometimes.

I heard of a "floating island" made of a raft of weeds just out of Melbourne in Victoria. We will be "diving under the island" when we go to Fishrock for Invade the Rock... see sig line.

As my role as a re-compression chamber nurse, or when discussing DCS, I always tell my people something my husband told me, many years ago when he was certifying me. It may not be very funny, but it will make you sit back and say...AHHHH...YES...

He said:

Honey, there are old divers and there are bold divers, but RARELY, do you see OLD BOLD divers...

I just love that one

These are great. Started number 1 last night and had to finish this morning. I saw a lot of my friends in these. Wonder if they saw me?

Don’t know if this is funny or kind of sad.

At the local fill shop where they specialize in filling cylinders. I ask the fill guy to add his banked air of 40% to 2,500 psi then top off with air to complete the fill. (They charge extra if you ask them to do the calculations to get your end mix when starting with a different existing start mix)

After he is done I am checking the 02 % with the gas monitor and I say “Gee, I thought the mix would be a little higher than what I am reading”

His response “Well, I just finished topping it off with air so there is a slug of air at the top of the tank. You might have to wait or roll it around on the floor to mix the gas”

I said “You are not serious right!” He said “That is my experience”.
I did not want to get into it with him!

I am a divemaster for a boat here on the big island of hawaii, and we get some awesome questions everyday.

"Can you dive all the way under the island to the otherside?"

"Is there a bridge from here to the mainland?"

My personal fave:
"Does the water go all the way around the island?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom