Fundified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats froop! I'm signing up to take a 6 week class (buoyancy 1 and 2) that's more or less a "pre-DIR-F" class. I need to work on my kicks etc. (and was told I'll get a lot more out of it) and this class I'm told is a good prep to DIR-F. Then I can decide if I want to do DIR-F rec or tech. I can't wait.

A six week buoyancy class? That seems a little excessive, n'est pas? My instructor, as well as many others on SB have suggested not to practice any kicks prior to the class, unless you have a knowledgeable and well-practiced diver observing / tutoring you. If you start off wrong, and develop bad muscle memory, its a lot harder to fix than if you get taught properly to start with.

I've been doing a haphazard helicopter turn for years, and after GUE-F, I find I really have to concentrate to do it properly.

froop:
A six week buoyancy class? That seems a little excessive, n'est pas? My instructor, as well as many others on SB have suggested not to practice any kicks prior to the class, unless you have a knowledgeable and well-practiced diver observing / tutoring you.

Well from what I was told this is sort of a way to build DIR-F skills before taking DIR-F. One night of lecture and the last night is video review/dinner. And the guy is a GUE instructor so I'm sure he won't be teaching stuff out of line with GUE. From what I understand it's not just buoyancy but propulsion, team skills and an intro to DIR gear etc. It's designed to put you in better shape for fundys so when you do take it you can get the most out of it. So it sounds like 4 days of pool work. And he videos it just like DIR-F. Hey the price is right and if I can get some feedback on my kicks it's all worth it to me. There's over a foot of snow on the ground here :) Nothing else to do I'm gonna give it a shot.

I think RiverRat is talking about going through the Ed Hayes curriculum. Ed is a fantastic guy and a really good instructor. (GUE & PADI I believe; Don't let the gruff exterior fool you.) From what I can tell he has taken his high standards and applied them to his normal PADI curriculum and then augmented it with GUE classes. I've seen videos of his buoyancy 1 & 2 classes and they look very worthwhile. Six weeks really isn't bad. Consider all of the people on here who wish they had more time in fundies before they get evaluated. If I were you I'd just tell Ed what my long term goals are and then have him start evaluating you based on that standard.

edparris:
I think RiverRat is talking about going through the Ed Hayes curriculum. Ed is a fantastic guy and a really good instructor. (GUE & PADI I believe; Don't let the gruff exterior fool you.) From what I can tell he has taken his high standards and applied them to his normal PADI curriculum and then augmented it with GUE classes. I've seen videos of his buoyancy 1 & 2 classes and they look very worthwhile. Six weeks really isn't bad. Consider all of the people on here who wish they had more time in fundies before they get evaluated. If I were you I'd just tell Ed what my long term goals are and then have him start evaluating you based on that standard.

I agree, I have taken Ed's Buoyancy I class and I think it's worth it's weight in gold! Most of my training has been under the GUE influence when i was living in Hawaii, so when I met Ed interested in taking fundies with him. He told me about his Buoyancy I & II class and how it could be a great primer for Fundies and to improve my skills. So far I'm just finnishing the buoyancy I and I can say that it's well worth it for anyone out there who wants to take fundies in the future or just wants to be a better diver! Yes, Ed's alittle rough around the edges at times, but he means well. Sometimes he reminds me of a combination of Bruce Willis and Jack Nicholson ha ha ha. He always means well and has a point.

Hopefully soon I'll be taking fundies and drinking the Cool Aid like the rest of you all!

Yep it's Ed's classes. Great to hear feedback on them! I'm pumped now!

I know this thread kinda died off but I just wanted to post back on my experience with Ed's classes. Man this guy kicks ***! I'm so pumped! Buoyancy I and II is really a misnomer. Even Ed says it should be named Control 1 or something. He's tying together all of the components of DIR right off the bat. Even though I've been diving somewhat of a balanced rig for several years I now realize my setup (not just my gear but my technique as well) was a little like swiss cheese and Ed is helping me to fill in the holes. I can't wait until I get to propulsion next week as that's where I need the most help right now. We review the video before class and I'm sure that will be an eye opener. I've got to retrain my legs and keep them in the proper position. I can only imagine what his buoyancy II class consists of. In any event I would think it's safe to say anyone wanting to get the absolute most out of DIR-F would do well to take these courses before hand. I'm so pumped it's like starting in diving all over again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom