Fundified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

froop:
Thanks TS..
I'm not sure about dissatisfied - I certainly got satisfaction out of the course. What I did feel was a bit of disappointment though when I looked at the video from the pool session - I used to swim around around thinking, "Yeah.. I got this trim thing down pat! It's easy!". After seeing the vid, my mind is changed forever!!

Congratulations!! Glad to hear you enjoyed your course. I felt the same way about the video. I kept thinking "I really think I am doing this right".. then I saw myself on video. It is one of the best parts of the course in my opinion.

Jasonmh:
I kept thinking "I really think I am doing this right".. then I saw myself on video. It is one of the best parts of the course in my opinion.

The biggest advantage of video, is that after seeing myself and being able to pick out things that I can see I am doing wrong, going forwards it's much easier for me to think about not doing them wrong because I can visualise my bad habits. If someone just tells me, I can only visualise in my interpretation of the observations that they make to me.

But I guess its like that in any sport that uses video as a teching tool, from golf to scuba diving...

Personally I find this worship of video to be quite humorous. Trust me when I say that I see the value of video in training...in fact I use it quite frequently.
I was videoed doing basic skills during my OW/Nitrox class and now ironically enough it's come full circle--I'm now the one who is taking video of new students. I never knew that video isn't generally used until I saw classes at dive shops and was aghast when I found out. :11:

For those of you who get in lots of pool time--having mirrors on the sides of the pool are great as well. Video is great for 'monday-morning quarterbacking' but it does have limitations, mainly in that you have to get out, sit down, and actually watch it. Mirrors are great for instantaneous feedback on trim and buoyancy while you're still in the pool. Instead of watching yourself on video and having to wait until you get back in to work on whatever needs it, you can fix it right then...

After several semesters of taking and critiquing video, I find it invaluable, especially for new students (and myself...if I can, I try and get shots of myself in the mirrors while taping the students :eyebrow:). I'm very glad that GUE uses video as an instructional tool; as it puts them one step ahead almost 99% of everyone else out there.

Congrats on getting the tech pass--that's my next goal. :D

SparticleBrane:
After several semesters of taking and critiquing video, I find it invaluable, especially for new students (and myself...if I can, I try and get shots of myself in the mirrors while taping the students :eyebrow:).

So was that camera on a tripod in the bathroom then? :D Isn't it kinda hard to find the flaw of your buoyancy and trim floating in the tub with all that gear?

SparticleBrane:
ZING! :lol:

:D

must type more characters to be able to post..

Atleast you don't have mirrors in the shower.

Congratulations!!! It was one of the best investment in dive education I have made over the year.

Keep diving!!!!

Thanks wunat.
And if that avatar picture is you, I hope you're in the process of doing a helicopter kick there, otherwise your fin position needs some work :)

Congradulations FROOP Welcome to the family!:14:

Milo

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom