Fundified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thankyou everyone here on SB who has introduced me to DIR and GUE, along with the aid of my LDS - one of the very few, if not the only store in my area that has GUE trained staff and stocks and sells DIR equipment with the knowledge to back it.

I finished Fundies today, and of the 5 on the course, 3 of us passed with a tech pass.
Thankyou to suggestions from others in my post a couple of weeks ago (http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=176585). I didn't manage to get in as many dives as I would have liked with my gear before hitting the course, and the pool session was the first time I used manifolded twins or a canister light.

It pretty much goes without saying that I certainly have a lot to improve before getting all my skills up to scratch for Tech 1, but save for a couple of points of improvement, I think I did okay. Tech 1 isn't run very often in Oz, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to practice!

I definately got a lot more out of it that any other diving coures I've done (maybe except for my OW, back in 1990 when it went for 7 days, 9am-5pm, and included a helluva lot more than todays basic OW & AOW put together)

I'm continually awed by the amazing trim in the training demo videos, and of the instructor. Definately something to aim for.

Congratulations big time on the tech pass!

GUE instructors exist to make us dissatisfied with everything we can do. I know this :)

Thanks TS..
I'm not sure about dissatisfied - I certainly got satisfaction out of the course. What I did feel was a bit of disappointment though when I looked at the video from the pool session - I used to swim around around thinking, "Yeah.. I got this trim thing down pat! It's easy!". After seeing the vid, my mind is changed forever!!

No, I meant you watch them in the water and get wowed, and then watch yourself on video and think, "Why can't I be like they are?" And then you find yourself out there doing S-drills and valve drills and ascent drills, and all your former dive buddies begin to think you've completely gone 'round the bend . . .

Aah yes, definately agree with you on all points there. I wonder if I'll get strange looks from the other couch if I start practicing drills and clipping off while watching TV...

You didn't do that BEFORE Fundies? Most of us do . . .

TSandM:
You didn't do that BEFORE Fundies? Most of us do . . .

Somebody has an avatar, on their profile, of them doing valve drills on the floor of their living room .. If I can only remember who, I will post the link. :)

Congrats! I am getting ready for my course the end of next month and have been doing some dives with a GUE trained tech instructor and a camerama. What a humbling experience! I thought I had my act together until you are asked to do something really simply, but precisely. Feel like an open water student all over again. Buoyancy sucks, trim sucks, frog kicks look like I am toxing.... the list goes on. Thank god it is only in 15-25 ft of water! By the way, can you really pracitise valve drills by laying on the floor with your doubles on? Gotta practise more! Congrats again. I wish somebody had shown me DIR about 20 years ago......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom