Fundamentals of Diving for the not so graceful diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for all your positive responses!
Yes, I have certainly heard the Nazi thing before For those not familier with GUE, they should know that GUE and PADI divers can coexist. Ed actually works full time in a Dive shop. He teaches PADI classes as well.
I too have gotten a lot of interesting feed back when I tell people I took the course and dive a back plate. I think there is a lot of misconceptions. My husband can also tell you a lot of stories of how folks have reacted to him. I think the challenge for dive shops is that a lot of the stuff you buy to dive the GUE DIR way is not always sold in a Dive shop or not the best selling items thus causing a conflict of interest. It certainly doesn't surprise me there is tension there.
At any rate, the main reason why I posted my experience to help dispel the misconceptions about GUE. Thus, making this course an option for the average diver such as myself whom may be interested in taking this class for recreational diving. I imagine Fundies is not for everyone, however, it sure is working out well for me.

I wanted to say congratulations on passing the class. Being there myself, and noticing all the improvement you have made along the way, I can definitely say that you are a much better diver than you were even six months ago. You are a much better diver than I was after two years.

One interesting thing I observed was you always got frustrated about not being able to do something underwater, but the level of difficulty of the skills frustrating you was gradually increasing. I remember your first bag shoot in Fundies class where you got so pissed off shooting the bag, you made an ugly face at the spool, and punched it with your dry-gloved fist. I started laughing so hard at that I flooded my mask several times.

The bad part about the frustration is that once you get frustrated by some skill, you tighten up, and then start having problems with other things you can do easily. Every single skill that has given you problems you have eventually mastered. Try to realize this the next time you start getting frustrated. Tell yourself that you're just practicing, and it's okay not to do it perfectly every single time...and if it helps, just remind yourself of the time I almost shot myself up to the surface on the #6 Dredge this summer.

Bonaire should be easy diving compared to what we did this summer, so my challenge to you is this:

Don't get frustrated in Bonaire.

Tom

1 month old post but, I REALLY enjoyed it.

Congrads on passing. I too plan on going for the rec pass then after a LOT of practicing and diving, I may try for the tech.

Thanks for fueling my fire to take the class again.

Michael

Goodness, how did I miss this post?

Congratulations on Fundies, and passing. I'm with you -- it was hard, and it took a lot of work, but long before I passed, I was seeing the benefit in how much easier diving was becoming, and how much more fun I could have.

My Fundies instructor, Steve White, was like Ed. He was patient, and he kept putting time and energy into us long after the class was over. (He still does.) One of the amazingly consistent things about GUE-trained folks is the urge to teach and to help. We have a whole local organization to do dives with DIR-curious folks, or anybody who wants some help improving their skills.

Just remember that the skills aren't unique to DIR diving. What's unique is putting them together with a team-based ethos and an intensely standardized set of protocols. You can travel anywhere in the world and get in the water with a GUE-trained diver, and you will understand one another, and can be assured of a minimum level of competency.

Anyway, not to get lost in rhetoric -- CONGRATULATIONS! And I wish you much joy in the utilization of your new skills.

Nice post. Just needs more use of the <return> key. But great post :)

I've thought about taking this class - but the $500 price tag is keeping me away. I'm also not willing to replace any perfectly working equipment for the sake of something else that is "standard".

:rofl3:

Oh my goodness. I just realized what fundies was. I've read many posts where people said "Loved the fundies", "I learned so much from fundies", etc. etc. etc.

I was convinced that you were all talking about diving in the Bay of Fundy. I couldn't figure out why diving in a high tide area would have such great skills development.

I wonder what else I'm confused about. :dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom