Fundamentals course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey bro congratulations!! I know exactly how you feel. :D

Don't you owe us a class report? :14:

wunat:
I too think about tech courses in the future and I always look at DIR-F as a course which will show me how ready I am. Have been looking forward to this course for................don't know how long. Was pretty lucky we actually managed to organize one here in Bangkok.

Well, I took the tech version as mentioned above (on doubles with canister). Thought I screwed up a few things and was expecting a provisional rating from the instructor. But I was wrong. Was really excited actually passing it. :D

When the instructor was giving me feedbacks, he give me some really specific points he believes I could/should work on prior to go into tech courses though my "pass" rating gives me the qualification to do so already. I couldn't agree more that getting those specific points some works will only be more benefitial to me as I go further down the tech route.

Would certainly recommend the course if you want to know where you are with respect to the skills whether it's recreational diving you are doing of future technical divings you are planning for.

Yuth:
Hey bro congratulations!! I know exactly how you feel. :D

Wow, you guys are posting already? I still haven't finished washing my gear... :D

I'm a seasoned old fart ( 47 ), lotsa water time over 32 years, breathed scads of helium over 10 years in commercial oilfield diving, teach scuba ( mostly to beginners ) -you might say I've been around the block & I'm very at home in the water.

I've spent about 30 k. on dive schooling over the years...

But I KNOW there's more to learn - always will be - & I LOVE to learn.

So here's this GUE / DIR-F thing. This "Fundies" thing. I'm intrigued. Trouble is, before I plunk down yet more cash & committ yet more time to my beloved, I want to know WHAT I will be taught, WHY it will be taught to me & HOW it will improve the performance of my ancient carcass in the deeps.

I have big doubles & am currently thinking I'd like to wear them inverted - MUCH easier to manipulate the valves I reckon. Is that possible within the structure of DIR-F? If not, I want to know why.

I've seen alot of posts on ths DIR-F thing, but precious little in the way of hard, factual information on just what to expect for the investment.

So GUE-ites, sell an ol' sea dog on this concept so that I can make my mind up as to doing it or not.

Blessings,
DSD

DeepSeaDan:
I'm a seasoned old fart ( 47 ), lotsa water time over 32 years, breathed scads of helium over 10 years in commercial oilfield diving, teach scuba ( mostly to beginners ) -you might say I've been around the block & I'm very at home in the water.

I've spent about 30 k. on dive schooling over the years...

But I KNOW there's more to learn - always will be - & I LOVE to learn.

So here's this GUE / DIR-F thing. This "Fundies" thing. I'm intrigued. Trouble is, before I plunk down yet more cash & committ yet more time to my beloved, I want to know WHAT I will be taught, WHY it will be taught to me & HOW it will improve the performance of my ancient carcass in the deeps.

I have big doubles & am currently thinking I'd like to wear them inverted - MUCH easier to manipulate the valves I reckon. Is that possible within the structure of DIR-F? If not, I want to know why.

I've seen alot of posts on ths DIR-F thing, but precious little in the way of hard, factual information on just what to expect for the investment.

So GUE-ites, sell an ol' sea dog on this concept so that I can make my mind up as to doing it or not.

Blessings,
DSD

I can't answer all your questions, but thought it was worth pointing out:
- I don't know anyone, including people with 1,000+ dives, that have not gained something from the class
- The cost is relatively small, especially compared to the 30 thousand you have already spent.
You might want to contact Dan McKay http://www.gue.com/Training/Instructors/mckayd.html
He is near you, and can probably help answer the questions you are looking for.

Good luck.

I'll second that... give Dan McKay a shout (or email). There is a decent GUE community in Ontario because of this guy.

Use a GUE instructor as your first line of answering your questions about what, why and how for the fundamentals class. GUE instructors are truely much better explaining it in a clear and concise manner. Any remaining questions, we'll help the best we can.

Yuth:

Is this part of the DIR-F requirement??? :D

Will do on a separate post.

MHK:
I hope that I'm not reading too much into your post, but getting the DIR-F class "out of the way", might not be the best approach to enter this class with. It appears that you desire to do OE and/or decompression diving in the future and the skills introduced in the DIR-F class will prove invaluable as you progress. You will need to refine issues such as trim, balance, bouyancy before you enter any overhead environments, and this class will point you in the right direction so I hope you don't look at this class as, yet another, pre-requisite before taking OE training, because we try real hard make this class valuable, informative & educational.

Regards,

I have a lot of friends that have taken the DIR-F course. I am just about in the spot to do so myself. My Fundies buddies are amazing divers that I sincerely admire. :11: I was planning on taking the course with an Instructor who passed a while back, so now, I need to find another. MHK, when are you teaching your next DIR-F in the So-Cal area?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom