Fundamentals and Recreational divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TF-Rick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Okay, I'm new to SB, but certainly not to Florida diving. Probably a few of you reading this know me, many have been on boats with me. While I love technical diving, I still really enjoy getting out with the local recreational divers to dive the shallow wrecks and reefs. I usually dive with my typical D80 rig, back-plate & wing, long-hose & necklace; a very streamlined equipment configuration. I welcome the questions and comments I get from other divers that may be new to this configuration, or respond to these divers after a dive where they have seen my team and I diving together, in trim, demonstrating good buddy team communication.

I didn't always dive this way. I started diving in 1977, PADI open water certification. I transitioned into commercial hard-hat diving in 1980. Dove recreationally until 2005 when I took my first GUE Fundamentals course. Since then I have trained with IANTD and GUE in more advanced certifications. The basis of all of this was my GUE Fundamentals. That said, even if I wasn't interested in Technical diving, I see how the Fundies course made me a much better, safer, aware diver. I found this article, thought I would share it with the Florida diving community. Enjoy the read.

How is the GUE Fundamentals course relevant to recreational divers? | Ask Living Seas

I plan on taking fundies as soon as Kathy Dicker becomes an instructor. I'm assuming you probably know her? I was going to take the upcoming class with her and Mark Messersmith but had to cancel because of work. Now I'm looking to recruit someone local to take the class with me after march. As you need at least 2 people for a class. It will most likely be held in the South FL area instead of up in the springs. :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom