Function of a watch / Watch recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's true but you are just reinforcing what I was trying to say. What is appropriate for YOUR situation? A Shallow reef in warm water has a different redundancy aspect than being 500 feet from the surface inside a cave or wreck. If you want to have 3 computers on a shallow reef that's your call. I may think it's silly but it's not my call.

What is your personal comfort zone? Let's exclude "that ignorance is bliss". How do you feel about this scenario?
I dive all the time in the Florida keys off my own little boat. I tie off to a mooring ball or set an anchor and solo dive. I leave my boat unattended. Typical depth is less than 100'. I carry a 40 bailout and wear a 149 steel. One computer and a dive watch. Where is my redundancy lacking in your opinion?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The dive as no deco don't really need more than EITHER the computer OR the dive watch as aborting would be a non-issue other than the hassle of losing dive time and the redundancy really is a convenience more than a neccesity.
As a deco dive (with a steel 149 and a good sac rate I'll say short deco dives should be plausible), I would think you're probably right where you need to.
The boat coming lose (or some b-tard stealing it) would probably be your most pressing possible "oh ****" moment beyond a brain fart from what you describe..

Personally I would do solo no-deco max 100' dives with an al80 and pony, with a depth gauge and timer (and ofc spg).
I just like not having to abort dives so I have a computer as well. My most used instrument on any dive is the dive watch (which has a depth gauge on it).

If I'm not mistaken most dive comps in gauge mode does not provide time in seconds. Important for timing stops.

Somebody on Scubaboard, Rick Murchison I think, used to have a sig line that said something like "Decompression theory is like measuring with a micrometer, marking with chalk and cutting with an axe," which is about as good a summary as I've ever seen.

My regular deco buddy likes to have a sweep second-hand so we can start to drift up to the next stop depth 15 seconds before the end of a stop, arriving and stabilising as the next stop is due to start. I'm equally happy watching for my bottom timer to tick over to the minute a stop ends in runtime, then heading up. She gets that either approach is valid, she just likes to use the 15-second-warning to keep the team together and focussed. If your chances of avoiding DCS lie in being precise to within seconds, there's an argument you're not cutting your tables right...

Oh, and I did once take a 100m-rated Nautica watch on a 100m dive, mostly just to see what would happen. It worked perfectly throughout! Which [Completely irrelevant to discussion] can't be said of any of the 'technical' dive computers I've ever owned, so I always wear a watch as well as a couple of computers in gauge mode [/Completely irrelevant to discussion]

Last edited:
I know this thread is a little old but I enjoyed reading it as I am in search of a decent backup time piece. The few watches recommended are rather expensive, top quality watches. However, I'm wondering if anyone has a simple backup time piece for the sole purpose of keeping time either with the clock or stopwatch function which is maybe scuba rated, maybe not, digital display, but with buttons that can be used underwater, which they feel has been reliable on dives shallower than 200 feet. I have analog gauges, will be getting a DC soon, but my current watch is only rated for 50m and is analog and I have lost track of start times before, had the bezel get moved off its mark, and forgotten to record start time on my slate. Perhaps a somewhat inexpensive casio or timex? Am I being unrealistic about finding something like this for an extremely affordable price?

My G-Shock was rated to 200m. It flooded or broke the seal at some point during the first dive of my deep diver class (103 feet) because I had moisture in the watch when I went down for the second dive to 101 feet later in the day. Put the watch in rice that night when I got home and left it there for two days, it's worked fine and kept proper time since then, but I haven't had it back in the water yet.

Deepest I had been on a dive prior to that class was 48-50 feet, depending on the water level. Never had an issue with that, even being at said depth for 45-60 minutes.

I know this thread is a little old but I enjoyed reading it as I am in search of a decent backup time piece. The few watches recommended are rather expensive, top quality watches. However, I'm wondering if anyone has a simple backup time piece for the sole purpose of keeping time either with the clock or stopwatch function which is maybe scuba rated, maybe not, digital display, but with buttons that can be used underwater, which they feel has been reliable on dives shallower than 200 feet. I have analog gauges, will be getting a DC soon, but my current watch is only rated for 50m and is analog and I have lost track of start times before, had the bezel get moved off its mark, and forgotten to record start time on my slate. Perhaps a somewhat inexpensive casio or timex? Am I being unrealistic about finding something like this for an extremely affordable price?

I use a cheap (~$20) Casio digital sport watch from Walmart. It claims it's good to 100M (300ft)

I wear dry gloves and have no problem changing its functions or hit the big start/stop button.

I looked at the more fancier watches, but figured that by the time I break/loose a half dozen of the cheaper ones, I'd already break the expensive one a few times ....

BRad

I use a cheap (~$20) Casio digital sport watch from Walmart. It claims it's good to 100M (300ft)

See post #24 for an explanation of what the standard depth ratings mean for watches. Here is what is says for a rating of 100m: "Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports. NOT suitable for diving."

You have to recognize John that the caveats from manufacturers, perhaps for litigious reasons, don't always speak to the capabilities of the product.

You have to recognize John that the caveats from manufacturers, perhaps for litigious reasons, don't always speak to the capabilities of the product.

It is now a standard used by all of them. I am just pointing out that it does not mean it is guaranteed for scuba use to 100 meters, which is what people infer from the designation. If you take a 100 meter watch to 10 meters and it floods, you have no recourse and should not be surprised, because you took it past the limits of its rating. In contrast, I have a small digital camera that says it is waterproof to 10 meters, and that means what it says--it is waterproof to 10 meters.

Sure, practicable vs. guaranteeable. My watch works...deep..and is cheap...and can suffer the pushing of buttons at depth.

I recommend my watch. All others, caveat emptor!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom