Fun things to do in Kona while not diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm going to grab a copy of this book asap... I love books!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Just go do more diving. After you get back from your morning dive, rent a tank, go get lunch, then head to Place of Refuge or one of the many other great shore dives in Kona. Some of the boat sites are actually accesible by shore diving also, so pay attention to where the boat stops, and you may be able to drive back and do another dive at the same spot.

If you haven't booked your boat dives yet and are on a budget, Kona has great shore diving.

When my wife and I are there, we use Sandwich Isle divers for our go to shop. The people there are great. We head there in the morning and pick up four tanks, the owner grabs a tourist map and marks out a couple good dive sights, gives us all the details on entry, parking, etc and off we go. We head back to the resort (Kona Coast), have a little lunch and a rest up a bit. Then head back to the shop swap out the bottles for another four and repeat.... The only boat diving we do is the Manta night dive and the Pelagic magic dive. The way the island is formed, it gets deep just off shore, so pretty much any diving you will get from a boat, you can find from the beach.

For a day trip, it's fun to rent kayak's and paddle out to the captain Cooks monument. We packed our gear out there and the diving was a really nice wall, just off the monument.
There are a number of good spots with decent beaches and the Place of Refuge seems to always have turtles.

As far as fun things to do, plan on doing some driving. Most of the tourist type activities are pretty spread out. One spot we enjoy is in downtown. There is a women there that has a shop that makes the most incredible clay orchids, we always stop to see her display's.

Lots of good suggestions so far. I usually try to fit in a day of swimming in Kealakekua Bay. The dolphins that live there are about as friendly as any I've ever seen. I'd also highly recommend a trip up Mauna Kea. Also, South Point and the green sand beach are always fun. Whatever you do, if you don't have fun in Kona, its your own fault!

I was surprised to see that, got the impression it wouldn't get repaired after the earthquake and that website looks kinda dead. It sounds like it may have reopened and this is the new site - Big Island Kayak Tour and Rentals | Kohala Ditch Adventures. No idea if it is really the same tour or what.

(Unfortunately never did it, learned about it too late on one trip to get reservations, and next trip was after the earthquake wrecked it.)

MY wife and I were there in October 2011 and we are going back at the end of Setember this year. Zip-Lining is a Blast..(Zip Line Eco tours) There is Horse-back riding, Helicoptor Volcano tours, Jeep Volcano tours, Walking trails at the "Bluff Black Beach"... lots of Fun stuff...And I forgot Great Snorkeling at the Public Beaches..

While in Kona, can visit one of the Kona coffee farms that provide tour. You can order coffee and on the day you pickup it's roasted that morning. That's as fresh as you can get.

In the Hilo side, in addition to visiting the VPN, Akaka Falls to the north, can also drive south to the Red Wood road, Kapoho to Kanapala.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom