Full wet suit or hooded vest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive been too warm in 27-28 deg water.
I had a 3mm long sleeve, short leg surfing wetsuit on a liveaboard. My mask would fog constantly and I was uncomforable, especially while finning heavily.

A 3mm full suit sounds about right, but Id consider a 2/3mm hood as backup rather than a 5mm full suit.

This gives alot of options
1. top
2. top with hood
3. 3mm
4. 3mm with hood.

I have a 5mm shorty and a 2.5mm full suit.

The full suit is warmer and offers more abrasion protection. Good for wrecks, night dives or dives with rough entry/exit.

The shorty is easier to put on and still allows me to feel the water. Unless I'm cold/tired from previous dives, it has my preference.

Both are much warmer than no suit at all.

In tropical waters, unless I know I'll be cold I prefer to dive without a hood - so no integrated hood for me.

My wife and I are considering a liveaboard in Sept/Oct - and I was wondering the same..... I dive a 3MM pretty much exclusively (tropics) and so dos she; however, even after 2 dives she has a tendancy to become alittle chilled towards the end of the dive. Same concern, with 4-5 dives a day would she not be better off with a 5MM full suit , as opposed to her 3MM with a Hooded Vest for the later dives??

My though process was If she dove the 3MM in the am, then the 5MM in the aft/Night dives wouldnt it keep her warmer??

Any help....thoughts......shes not a big fan of wearing the hoods (although i think it would help her)....

I'd wear the same outfit the whole day depending on how many dives you will do. Full 5mm suit or 3mm w/vest-hood for 3-4 dive days and lighter for 2 dive days. Once you are chilled you aren't going to warm up. I think I tollerate the hotter temps in the tropics because I usually do at least 3-4 dives a day.

I go to the Philippines with about 82 deg water. My last trip was a 3mm with my cold water hood - comfortable. Previous trips were with a 5/4mm Bare full suit - nice and comfortable until it got more compressed after 100 dives when a 5mm shorty had more bouyancy and decided to retire the suit.

I agree with DiveJunkie - I take photos and like to float around looking for critters so there isn't much calorie burning going on even at 6ft and 210lbs.

I had a similar situation with a liveaboard in the Bahamas. In 2008 I did a week with Blackbeards out of Freeport on the Pirate's Lady. It was OCT and I wore a 3/2 full, and put on a hood most of the time. With 3 to 4 dives a day I was chilled and even passed on a couple of dives because of it. Last NOV I did the same trip with 5/4 full and wore the hood all the time. It was a much better trip and I didn't miss a dive. Saw a 9 foot Hammerhead at 70 feet and was within 15 feet of it. Glad I didn't miss a dive because that would have been the one!!!!!

I'd wear the same outfit the whole day

Actually, that's a good argument for buying both: you'll have the option to use a dry and warm suit instead of the one still dripping from the previous dive.

I used to dive a 2mm shorty in warm water. SO easy to get in and out of, but...

After swimming through a jelly fish mine field to get back to a boat a few years back, I'll never dive a shorty again.

Keep in mind the type of suit makes a difference too. MY 3mm gold core feels just as warm as my 7mm hyperstretch did.

Betty - what kind of hood did you buy??

Back
Top Bottom