Full time experienced instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No government ever mandated hiring unqualified workers...that is a red herring. The issue is you should never be able to refuse to hire a qualified candidate because you don't like their skin colour, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or the fact that they are from Canada :wink:

No government ever mandated hiring unqualified workers...that is a red herring. The issue is you should never be able to refuse to hire a qualified candidate because you don't like their skin colour, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or the fact that they are from Canada :wink:

Actually, because we do so much government work, and we are a US flagged vessel, and we are subject to Jones Act, I cannot hire a worker from Canada unless they are also US citizens.

My people are Canadian also, from New Brunswick, so I feel your pain.

actually, because we do so much government work, and we are a us flagged vessel, and we are subject to jones act, i cannot hire a worker from canada unless they are also us citizens.

My people are canadian also, from new brunswick, so i feel your pain.

lol :d

I assure you that the dive instructor hired will pay taxes in Antigua. Regardless of their age or gender.

While this is true, it has nothing at all to do with the point I was making. The government prospers off the backs of all taxpayers, not just those that own businesses. Therefore, they should represent the interests of all tax payers. That includes doing what they can to prevent discrimination.

I dont agree with hiring quotas. I dont agree with using point systems based on testing, but then giving extra points to people based on race, or sex, or whatever (yes those exist and exist in governments and are basically just a different kind of discrimination). But I also dont agree with refusing to take applications, or throwing applications in the garbage immediately based on factors that have nothing to do with ability to perform the job in question.

Actually, because we do so much government work, and we are a US flagged vessel, and we are subject to Jones Act, I cannot hire a worker from Canada unless they are also US citizens.

My people are Canadian also, from New Brunswick, so I feel your pain.

Can I at least dive from your boat with my strange Canadian viewpoints:D

Only if you practice saying Oouuwt and don't change it to Ooooot Abooooouwt. Shoooouwt. not Aboooot or Shoooot

INSTRUCTOR POSITION. We are accepting applications for a full time instructor with option to buy in for the right applicant. What we are looking for is. A PADI instructor with Tech Teaching qualifications and good boat handling skills. Must be under the age of 40, male and ready to relocate to Antigua by the 1st June 2015. Hard working, in good physical condition and presentable. Marketing skills and previous Caribbean experience a bonus. email resumes to divingantigua@gmail.com

Damn, I was qualified until you mentioned "under the age of 40"

Unfortunately I'm a 48yr old dive instructor with tech ratings and good boat handling skills who's considering retiring to Antigua.

I'm also a 48yr old dive op customer who travels to Antigua regularly, so you may have lost me there too.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2015 at 04:31 PM ----------

You know many people in the dive industry like to have fit, youthful instructors-especially in resort environments - maybe they have a female instructor already and need a male for the team-

but really since it's their business isn't it THEIR business?

Next you'll say it's OK to run an ad saying "White applicants only... we prefer not to have black instructors"

And guess what - the Irish mainstreamed WITHOUT any laws to protect them or give them favorable treatment. They won no discrimination lawsuits. They made it in a time when the glass ceiling was a brick bat or brass knuckles.

There was no Federal abuse of the commerce clause back then to create a legal fiction - unfortunately now that nonsense has plugged government into every aspect of the private sector. Screw the Founders intention to create a limited government.

One day you sheep may wake up to a totalitarian, unyielding, non tolerant of dissension, oligarchy and ask "how'd that happen?"

It happened because you took away people's right to make their own decisions- good, bad and indifferent. It happened because you were more concerned with coercing conformity than fostering independent thinking. It happened because you stood blithely by as the restrictions of the Constitution were whittled away one element at a time.

Good job.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2015 at 05:05 PM ----------

Tell that to the FDNY which now allows females to graduate the Fire Academy without being able to perform the requisite lifesaving fire skills... Because a discrimination lawsuit says the City discriminated against women based on physical ability...

Really? I don't want someone who can't haul my fat a-- out of a burning building working as a Firefighter. Plenty of women HAVE succeeded in passing the exam- THEY belong on the job.

I'm as "free market" as anyone, but the only thing sillier than discriminatory hiring practices is advertising the fact.

Damn, I was qualified until you mentioned "under the age of 40"

Unfortunately I'm a 48yr old dive instructor with tech ratings and good boat handling skills who's considering retiring to Antigua.

I'm also a 48yr old dive op customer who travels to Antigua regularly, so you may have lost me there too.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2015 at 04:31 PM ----------

Next you'll say it's OK to run an ad saying "White applicants only... we prefer not to have black instructors"

It's a typical liberal dodge to throw out some inflammatory nonsense like this to race bait. The real world will never suffer people having the right to simply have their own opinions anymore. Just another PC Zombie, regurgitating the line of the elite avant guard.

Really, I don't think it's my place to tell ANYONE who they should or shouldn't hire, fire or associate with. Funny how today it seems everyone can be big brother and it's all ok.

I have friends who are Muslim, I occasionally rail against Islamization and protested the city and state assisting the building of a mosque and Islamic near ground zero in NYC, lots of my drinking buddies are recent Chinese and Korean immigrants, I am anti open immigration and against legalization.

My best friend is mulatto, and I decry affirmative action as discriminatory. My brother is gay and I performed his wedding, while I slammed those who attacked the bakery that chose not to bake a cake for a gay wedding. I'm a polytheist and think the NYC rule banning Christian churches from renting space in public schools after hours is ridiculous.

Meanwhile I don't want the Ten Commandments listed as a source of law on the courthouse steps unless the codes of Hammurabi, Justinian and Rome as well as the Germanic common law are similarly glorified in the same courthouse.

I've defended a group of young men of color who were wrongfully accused of a crime - taking all sorts of heat from friends in law enforcement... And succeeded in proving they were innocent. Then later spent time defending police officers wrongly accused of misconduct. I'm against the rioters of Baltimore while supporting reforming law enforcement procedures. I see police abuse of power and know it's not racism - just abuse of power. Elsewhere I see cops trying their hardest and never catching a break from pundits in the media.

It's called being a rational actor and respecting the intention of the Framers to LIMIT the scope and roll of government.

Why do you think it's your place Or that of government to direct how anyone goes about living their life or operating their business?

I guess people's lives are so empty they must create drama for others. Either that or they really do think we should all be marching to the pied pipers tune in line, indifferent to personal choice or ability to think independently... Another cog in the wheel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom