Full time experienced instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In some places, and I don't know about Antigua, age requirements are related to getting work permits.
And I know of one small island that provides shared living quarters for their staff. They have a limited # of men's bunks in the men's dorm, and a limited # of women's bunks in the women's dorm. When someone leaves they have to replace that person with someone of the same sex, or the candidate has to find their own housing which is cost prohibitive.

Give the OP a break.

Elena,
If that was the case, the post should have been worded differently. I personally have no interest in the position but was offended by the age discrimination. Not that it would matter, I have no boat experience and HATE salt water.

Tim

Again... People looking for a problem. Employers should be free to hire and fire WHOEVER they want for WHATEVER reason they want.

When you amass the money, skills, and talent to run a dive op- do it HOW EVER you'd like. But get over trying to tell other people how to live their life or run their business.

Last edited:
Again... People looking for a problem. Employers should be free to hire and fire WHOEVER they want for WHATEVER reason they want.

When you amass the money, skills, and talent to run a dive op- do it HOW EVER you'd like. But get over trying to tell other people how to live their life or run their business.

Dan - I'm with you.

Age discrimination (and labor actions in general) are difficult to prove in court. The sort of open, honest behavior you advocate on the part of employers will make it much easier to establish evidence of a tort. If a dive-op don't want to comply with labor law - I think it's much better if employers are just candid about their ideas; after all - it is their money, skill and talent.

And if the behavior is illegal in that jurisdiction - which it appears it may be in this case - sue the hell out of the dive-op - and get some of that money!

Seriously, there are reasons why hiring managers don't make statements like this in a public forum. If you don't believe in labor law - I suppose you could lobby to have the laws changed - but a prudent hiring manager (much like a prudent dive instructor) doesn't casually create evidence - or even the perception - of violations of laws.

What kind of a world would be live in if businesses were free to discriminate using whatever criteria suits them...no blacks need apply, no Catholics need apply, no people with disabilities need apply, no one with acne need apply. No amount of money, skill or talent should ever allow a business operator to practice discriminatory hiring practices.

What kind of a world would be live in if businesses were free to discriminate using whatever criteria suits them...no blacks need apply, no Catholics need apply, no people with disabilities need apply, no one with acne need apply. No amount of money, skill or talent should ever allow a business operator to practice discriminatory hiring practices.

You are kidding, right? What business doesn't discriminate based on whatever criteria they so choose? Have you ever been to a job interview? Do you think they are only listening to your prepared spiel? Whatever key words and tricky phrases you vomit up to get the job? Anyone can do that, they are looking to see if you "fit in", an office full of active 30 somethings who play racquetball in the evenings and crossfit before work just aren't going to play well with a 55 year old fat black guy who is on his last job before retirement. An engineering firm with a bunch of nerds in black rimmed glasses who play Worlds of Warcraft all night aren't going to be happy with a festival goer in the mix. OR, maybe they are looking for some diversity. Smart managers get a mix of interests in an office (or dive shop) to provide better customer service.

It is impossible to get discrimination out of the work place. Anyone who believes different is blowing smoke up their own a$$. Bryan is being honest when he says that many applicants are wasting their time.

Of course, every country has different laws. Below are the hiring requirements for an airline in Asia as published on their website. The CV (resume) also must include a picture. Imagine the uproar if Delta Airlines published the same thing on their website.

"Interested female applicants between 18 and 25 years old with good eyesight, a pleasing personality and at least a height of 5’3” and weight proportional to height may apply..."

"When someone leaves they have to replace that person with someone of the same sex, or the candidate has to find their own housing which is cost prohibitive."

"Have to?"

Elena, would you be happy going back to the old days when women were barred from 90% of occupations and activities, in many cases because it would (supposedly) have meant the expense of providing facilities for them? Or they would only be hired if they were young, had a pretty face, and large breasts?

I would not.

"When someone leaves they have to replace that person with someone of the same sex, or the candidate has to find their own housing which is cost prohibitive."

"Have to?"

Elena, would you be happy going back to the old days when women were barred from 90% of occupations and activities, in many cases because it would (supposedly) have meant the expense of providing facilities for them? Or they would only be hired if they were young, had a pretty face, and large breasts?

I would not.

Should we go back to the old days where women are paid 80% of what men are for the same job?

Oh, Snap.

Let's be concerned about something important.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom