Full time experienced instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a typical liberal dodge to throw out some inflammatory nonsense like this to race bait.

Dude... I'm just to the right of Atilla the Hun.

The real world will never suffer people having the right to simply have their own opinions anymore.

Right... and my opinion is that discriminatory hiring practices are silly.

Really, I don't think it's my place to tell ANYONE who they should or shouldn't hire, fire or associate with. Funny how today it seems everyone can be big brother and it's all ok.

I didn't tell anyone who they should hire. I simply made the point that it's silly to discriminate based on age (hell I'll throw in race, gender, religion, etc).

I further made that point that a business that broadcasts their use of discriminatory hiring practices - in this case my age - will not only cost them potential candidates but it will also cost them customers.

In canada you can discriminate against age. I though must other places where the same but I guess not

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I have friends who are Muslim,

My best friend is mulatto, and I decry affirmative action as discriminatory. My brother is gay and I performed his wedding, while I slammed those who attacked the bakery that chose not to bake a cake for a gay wedding. I'm a polytheist and think the NYC rule banning Christian churches from renting space in public schools after hours is ridiculous.

Meanwhile I don't want the Ten Commandments listed as a source of law on the courthouse steps unless the codes of Hammurabi, Justinian and Rome as well as the Germanic common law are similarly glorified in the same courthouse.

I've defended a group of young men of color who were wrongfully accused of a crime - taking all sorts of heat from friends in law enforcement... And succeeded in proving they were innocent. Then later spent time defending police officers wrongly accused of misconduct. I'm against the rioters of Baltimore while supporting reforming law enforcement procedures. I see police abuse of power and know it's not racism - just abuse of power. Elsewhere I see cops trying their hardest and never catching a break from pundits in the media.

It's called being a rational actor and respecting the intention of the Framers to LIMIT the scope and roll of government.

Why do you think it's your place Or that of government to direct how anyone goes about living their life or operating their business?

I guess people's lives are so empty they must create drama for others. Either that or they really do think we should all be marching to the pied pipers tune in line, indifferent to personal choice or ability to think independently... Another cog in the wheel.

Methinks thou doth protest too much.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2015 at 05:54 PM ----------

In canada you can discriminate against age.

Which Canada is that?

Canadian Human Rights Act

Age discrimination (brochure) | Ontario Human Rights Commission

Canada

http://www.naalc.org/migrant/english/pdf/mgcanemd_en.pdf

What is discrimination? | Canadian Human Rights Commission

In canada you can discriminate against age. I though must other places where the same but I guess not

Ummm...no!

Ok you can't for hiring once your older than 18. but you can for selling to people. Sorry I got mixed up thanks

Oh, Please. Really? You equate anarchy with business freedom?

Not really. I'm simply pointing out that if you start from a radical, dogmatic position that "nobody should be telling an individual what to do with his property", it leads to odd conclusions. In reality, I think we all realize that an unqualified statement like this is simply a rhetorical device, an exaggeration, an appeal to emotion... trying to win the audience over by suggesting we are trespassing on a sacred right of individuals to exercise their freedoms, to live their lives as they see fit... that it all ends with us waking up one day in a totalitarian, unyielding, Orwellian state, in which we are controlled by evil governments, as was so colorfully described a few posts above... come on, guys, I'm not the one dramatizing. If you can go and make up stories, why can't I...

Let's be honest, in reality we all agree that individuals need to pay a price of living in a society that enforces certain principles for everyone's benefit... While we all agree, what I don't understand is, why you're insisting that businesses need to be somehow exempt from it, why it's OK for any business to do whatever it takes to survive. Are businesses really so threatened by non-discrimination laws... do we really believe that enforcing those laws has economic impact so severe that we, as a society, must re-think it and maybe sacrifice some of those principles for an even greater good... that we must give the business owners carte blanche to prevent that poor, endangered species from disappearing from the face of the earth. Again, if so, this sounds to me like a whole lot of drama... unless backed by evidence to support it.

Let me ask this. Let's say you don't like redheads. Really, there are folks out there that don't like gingers. Think we have no soul, but I digress. Let's say you are one of them. You going to go to a dive shop where all of the instructors are gingers? Let's say you don't like pink slime in your burger. You going to eat at 5 Guys or McDonalds? Hint: I haven't had a quarter pounder in many years, but a 5 Guys is some yummy stuff.

Obviously, you are not equating here things like, say, (a) an individual's freedom to buy a burger vs. a hot-dog, with (b) giving a shop owner the ability to, say, discriminate against Jews... ugh... after all, you were just acknowledging, yourself, that business freedoms are strictly distinct from individual freedoms.

some laws are passed with the best intentions to make a level playing field for workers but the laws are all but worthless when it comes to real life, as they are so easy to circumvent.

Of course, you're right that passing laws doesn't immediately change the world, and it doesn't prevent individuals from breaking those laws, but don't you believe passing laws has longer-term implications in shaping up the way people think? Most people do try to observe the laws, and try to teach their children to do so...

If you were to come on my boat, you'd find a real shortage of minorities in the crew. I have a Puerto Rican this year, but I don't know if they are officially minorities. Had a black guy last year, but he isn't coming back. Anyway, it isn't because I don't want any minorities, it's because only white folks apply for the job. Now, if the government made me have a diverse crew and regulated that, I'd have to find some minority crewmembers, regardless of their abilities to do the job. Would government regulation mandating skin color over fitness for duty make you feel better on a liveaboard where one of the crew might save your life in an emergency? Or might not?

I'm not in favor of quotas, actually... between discrimination and quotas, there are many shades of gray. What would make me feel better, in this specific scenario, is knowing that, you had hired a person who is fit and skilled enough to save me. I couldn't care less if they're Japanese or Swedish, black or pink, young or old... or whether they like to fondle with men, women, or stuffed unicorns.

Tell that to the FDNY which now allows females to graduate the Fire Academy without being able to perform the requisite lifesaving fire skills... Because a discrimination lawsuit says the City discriminated against women based on physical ability... Really? I don't want someone who can't haul my fat a-- out of a burning building working as a Firefighter. Plenty of women HAVE succeeded in passing the exam- THEY belong on the job.

I don't know the specifics, but I wouldn't be surprised that in some cases, people go too far. So what? Nothing, and nobody, is perfect. Does a single case of abuse discredit the whole idea? Some priests abuse children. Should we outlaw all religion? Some rape victims make false accusations. Should we take rape accusations less seriously? Of course not, so this is not a valid argument.

Point is, business needs to do what business needs to survive and prosper.

There's an implicit assumption there that discrimination laws (and I don't mean quotas, since that wasn't the case discussed in the OP) get in the way of hiring the right people, that it's simply not possible to formulate a job description that would filter out people who are unqualified, without being unlawful. I think most people disagree with that assumption, and nobody so far really offered anything solid to support it.

I guess people's lives are so empty they must create drama for others.

I do not think this discussion necessarily has to degenerate to the level of personal attacks... we can do better.

As for life being empty... I am married to a woman, who has to endure a lot, ranging from almost all successful people around her being men, through male dominance in discussions, to people sending department-wide emails that overtly assert superiority of men over women. I can see how all of that affects her self-confidence, and that gives me a certain perspective. If anything, my life is full of it, not empty... I have plenty enough of my own relevant experiences to shape my beliefs.

Last edited:
Decades ago, when I was still in college, my school went to a tri-partite governance system in which key decisions were made by committees that included administrators, professors, and students. I was on several such committees, and I learned a lot about school policies. One of those committees was involved with admissions rules and practices. By policy, the school was committed to having a student body that "looked like America." They felt it was important for students to be part of an ethnically diverse school community. They also felt it was important not to have quotas or preferential admissions. This made getting that diverse student body difficult, because it was a very expensive school with very high admissions standards located in a northern rural area with a nearly 100% white local population.

So how did they do it?

1. They recruited heavily in high schools with significant minority populations. They did their best to make the school seem attractive to qualified students in those schools in the hope that enough would apply to increase the school's minority enrollment.

2. They had a needs-based financial aid package that allowed people of any income level to attend, even though the school was (and is) among the most expensive in the nation. I was pretty darn poor back then, and I was able to go to that school despite having nowhere close to the level of income you would think would be needed.

It happened because you took away people's right to make their own decisions- good, bad and indifferent. It happened because you were more concerned with coercing conformity than fostering independent thinking. It happened because you stood blithely by as the restrictions of the Constitution were whittled away one element at a time.

I cannot believe that someone who is obviously educated is arguing for the right to discriminate. Studies in sociology show that when people are denied legal ways of making of living they tend to turn to illegal methods and antisocial behavior. I know of no economic studies that show a positive societal benefit for allowing discrimination. If you know of any please enlighten us.

As far as the constitution goes, laws should reflect what current society wants not what founding fathers wanted. Our founding fathers denied women the right to vote and allowed slavery. Should we go back to this?

---------- Post added May 9th, 2015 at 08:09 PM ----------

1. They recruited heavily in high schools with significant minority populations. They did their best to make the school seem attractive to qualified students in those schools in the hope that enough would apply to increase the school's minority enrollment.

Minority students (excluding Asians) are recruited heavily by universities to meet either mandated or self-imposed quotas. The problem is many of the minorities recruited are there at the expense of better qualified non-minority students. It is inefficient to give scholarships to students who really do not belong in college.

Minority students (excluding Asians) are recruited heavily by universities to meet either mandated or self-imposed quotas. The problem is many of the minorities recruited are there at the expense of better qualified non-minority students. It is inefficient to give scholarships to students who really do not belong in college.

Did you read what I wrote?

The goal was to get QUALIFIED minority students to apply to the school, people who would not otherwise do so. Is there a reason you equate the words "minority" with "unqualified"?

Did you read what I wrote?

The goal was to get QUALIFIED minority students to apply to the school, people who would not otherwise do so. Is there a reason you equate the words "minority" with "unqualified"?

I read what you wrote. You went to a rich university that could afford to put together an attractive financial package to recruit minority students. Other schools that don't have much money to spend on recruitment are forced to take what they can get.

There is not enough QUALIFIED minority students for every university to have a racially balanced student body. So some universities are forced to recruit UNQUALIFIED minority students in order to achieve some sort of balance. UNQUALIFIED students of any race on scholarships are a waste of resources. The best students regardless of race belong in college. Asian students are starting to face discrimination at top schools because there are too many of them QUALIFIED to attend. Should a QUALIFIED Asian student be bumped for an LESSER QUALIFIED student of another race?

While I don't believe in discrimination, I don't believe in affirmative action either. Affirmative action is just another form of discrimination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom