Full Face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emoreira

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I came across this full face mask.
Ist Full Face Scuba Diving Mask | eBay
It seems that it includes in the interior side a mouth piece, and the 2nd stage regulator should be installed in it.
Is this the way it works ?
full face scuba mask.JPG

Though this is IST, there is a similar one from Cressi.

The S&M mask. My buddy bought one on Kijiji last year for some reason, hasn't actually used it though.

Most of the LDS in my area have a mask like that on display someplace. In every case the mask is way up high or someplace else to lead me to believe it's for display only. Not to say it is bad, just that I guess they don't push the things for whatever reason.

I saw a local guy with one at the quarry last summer. Seemed like a disaster waiting to happen - don't know if he had it rigged wrong or what, but when it put it on, it held the moutpiece/reg in his mouth, so he couldn't take the reg out without taking off his mask. I realize that's how any FFM works, but in this case, he had a mouthpiece jammed in is yap and couldn't even really talk at the surface.

A good full face mask will not have a mouthpiece. A good FFM uses an oral nasel pocket and is an option for people that holding a mouthpice in makes thier jaw sore or you can add comms if you want/need to talk on your dives.

Adding comms is the only reason I could think of for wanting one.

If your jaw is sore, get a comfo bite mouthpiece.

Found one just like that at a popular training site. It is in good condition. I've been wondering how it is used

Take mouthpiece of 2nd stage, put it in the mask and mount mouthpiece on 2nd stage again.. these are mainly used by coldwater divers i belive, but don't think to many use them anymore... (and i think the s&m factor has alot to do with it. lol.)
Besides this is an old design, if im not mistaken. more advanced ffm are developed since this first came out..
Want a ffm, get a modern one i would say :wink: have used a Aga ffm for several years. Very comfy in the winter!!

I came across this full face mask.
Ist Full Face Scuba Diving Mask | eBay
It seems that it includes in the interior side a mouth piece, and the 2nd stage regulator should be installed in it.
Is this the way it works ?
View attachment 198835

Though this is IST, there is a similar one from Cressi.

By the look of things, it takes a second stage with the mouthpiece removed. The oval section of the second stage is pushed in and secured from the inside via a s/s hose clamp or nylon cable tie......assuming it has an oral/nasal pocket.

This kind of mask is for someone who doesn't know any better as it lacks provision for comms and occy or surface breathing vent........it's your choice. Scubapro make the more expensive functional version of this type of FFM.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom