Full Face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the look of things, it takes a second stage with the mouthpiece removed. The oval section of the second stage is pushed in and secured from the inside via a s/s hose clamp or nylon cable tie......assuming it has an oral/nasal pocket.

No it has not....

Pulled out of another thread here on scubaboard:

" There's basically a hole where you insert your regulator's existing mouthpiece. You then zip-tie the mask to your regulator's mouthpiece.

So, while it is a full-face mask, you still use the mouthpiece, but you don't have to bite it as hard to hold it in place.

They tend to fog easily, unlike professional full-face masks which direct airflow across the lens during inhalation."

By the look of things, it takes a second stage with the mouthpiece removed. The oval section of the second stage is pushed in and secured from the inside via a s/s hose clamp or nylon cable tie......assuming it has an oral/nasal pocket.

This kind of mask is for someone who doesn't know any better as it lacks provision for comms and occy or surface breathing vent........it's your choice. Scubapro make the more expensive functional version of this type of FFM.

I do not intend to buy one of these. I was just curious because it seems to be quite problematic and, perhaps, uncomfortable. And, as a dive professional, I should know ...

I used one for a few dives in the late-1960s. It was marketed by Scubapro then. A mouthpiece is optional but you have to improvise some padding so you don’t break a tooth when you accidently bang into something. It will flex with inhalation and exhalation without a mouthpiece but the regulator sort of kisses your lips like one or two other FFMs of the era and the Oceaneering Rat Hat (commercial diving).

There is very little space for a mic so adding comms is challenging. The spider adjustment is also really poor by today’s standards.

I still have my old Scubapro one somewhere. It actually wasn't bad to use. It had an advantage in very cold water. But there are certainly better options today.

A good FFM will have a gas switching block so you can switch to a redundant gas source, however, you are still using the same demand valve (second stage) built into the mask. In the case of a demand valve failure, it would be mask off, alternate gas source in (be it an additional DV on your rig or a buddy's octopus) and conventional spare mask on.

The problem with the gimp mask in the picture is you cannot use a conventional second stage with a mouthpiece, so your planning has to include either a personal bailout with a second stage with no mouthpiece, or your buddy diving the same mask with his regs rigged in the same manner. If you are diving with somebody who doesn't have the desire to look like an inflatable sex-doll, between you, you'll need to think what he does in an OOG situation.

I am a strong advocate of always diving with a spare mask. What do you do in this situation? Do you carry a normal mask in a pocket, or another gimp mask? If you are using a conventional mask, you need to have an alternate gas source with a mouthpiece available

Another issue is the mask is forming part of the seal on your gas supply. What happens if the strap fails? Normally you will continue to breathe normally, and either reach for your spare, replace it if you are fortunate enough to catch it or have it handed back to you by your buddy, or you make a calm, controlled ascent. If the strap fails you are now have the mask issue, and an OOG situation to deal with.

I have seen these on the internet before, but I've never seen one in the flesh. I see some advantage for cold water divers, but this is far outweighed by the many negatives. Most of my diving is in cold water, and I've never seen anybody use one - if I had, I wouldn't be here to type this as I'd have spat my reg/loop out with laughter and drowned.

If anyone does plan to use one of these, remember one important thing...

loisfamilyguykinky.jpg

"The safety word's 'banana'!".

Attachments

• 7bd4ef1fe5796d3fcc1795177feb001b.jpg
    7bd4ef1fe5796d3fcc1795177feb001b.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 91
  • loisfamilyguykinky.jpg
    loisfamilyguykinky.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 80
circa1984/85 "Poseidon" had included this "Cressi" face mask in their catalogue along with UK company "UWI" (Poseidon Agents in the same year)

johnCRESSI FACE MASK.JPGCRESSI FACE MASK.JPG

The Kirby Morgan M-48 is a good compromise. You can pop off the lower pod and try to breathe from something else.

You always bring bailout gas, right?

on.jpg
off.jpg

Back
Top Bottom