Full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

needforspeed751

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I love diving but the water in my area is rather cold so I've been considering a full face mask. I don't really need a com system. Any recommendations or suggestions??

Go snag the latest copy of Dive Training Magazine at the LDS. They have a feature on the growing use of FFMs in recreational diving.

Pete

He he, watch out the bug is about to bite!

I love FFMs, your sac rate will increase slightly, just be aware. If you choose to purchase one, spend the extra and get one with the ABV. (Ambient Breathing Valve)

Most FFM's are not very ammenable to recreational diving as most require you to remove the mask to use an alternate second stage or to use a gas block to access an alternate first stage. So using an FFM safely often means fairly diligent training, carrying a backup mask and having an odd or overly complicated configuration.

The exceptions are the Kirby Morgan KM 48 and it's clones. JMC Scuba (a division of Oceanic) sold them under their name and Hollis is now also selling a version with the Oceanic Data Mask built into it (obviously associated with Oceanic).

The advantage is that the KM 48 uses a detachable lower pod so that you can remove the reg under water and use another second stage without removing the mask. They also use your normal second stage and do not create service issues when you mix your Brand A first stage with the Brand B (that almost no one services) FFM second stage.

I have used a few different Full face masks, but the one I like the most is the M48 Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | M-48 FAQ
It has a detachable 2nd stage so it is good for talking to people at the surface as well as the use of an alternate air source with out going blind underwater.
diving_operations049b.jpg

Kirby Morgan M-48 Supermask with out the regulator. Put your own regulator in it because you already have it (i.e. saving money) and you can get it service at your local Local Dive Store (LDS).

Kirby Morgan Dive Systems | M-48 FAQ

Purchase at:
Amron International, Inc.
DECA-DIVING EQUIPMENT COMPANY OF AMERICA
Divers Supply, Inc.
Dive Commercial International - Your Source for Commercial Diving Equipment.
San Diego Diving - SCUBA Divers Gear & Equipment Southern California - SCUBA Dive San Diego with Aqua Tech Dive Center

The draeger panorama nova can also switch regs, don't forget that

having dived a FFM for the first time on the weekend (an AGA divator II) i'd have to say although they're comfortable, i wouldn't bother using one for recreational diving

I am pretty sure the draeger panorama nova uses a port and special fitting to allow another reg to be used. That is a lot more complex and configuration un friendly than the KM 48. If you can't swim up to total stranger and use their reg without removing your reg, it does not count.

It uses a P port
it can be used in your gob apparently, it's just not super comfortable
The draeger has 3 p ports, you can have 3 regs from different sources all plugged in at once if you like.
The KM48, when you have to use someone elses reg, is just a mask. It just cuts out having to take the whole FFM off for bailout.

Horses for courses

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom