Full Cave trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave and Wreck instructors--I have heard that their diets are high in 'carrots'...lol

eeeeeeehhh ... what's up doc?

Congratulations on your new certifications and becoming full cave.

What did you guys think of the Advanced Nitrox class?

Sounds like a good time for all.

Again congrat’s.

Andrew

The classroom was too basic but about what I was expecting. Rick and I wanted to talk about things like hemoglobin association curves and bubble models. Guess you won't find that in a scuba class though. It was basically nitrox with a lot more emphasis on CNS toxicity.

As far as the diving, he kind of merged our cave dives with our adv nitrox dives so I'm not sure what adv nitrox would have been like on its own. We pretty much did everything in the cave except the lift bag work.

It was IANTD adv nitrox so unlike TDI it included staged deco. Let me tell you, clipping an o2 bottle off on a line that you are in the process of running takes a bit of practice.

Oh, after seeing downstream Cow, I am very interested in side mounting. You're diving a home-made rig, right? I'd love to see it sometime.

Congrats on the certs.
I would of posted congrats sooner ,just getting back on line.

Dave

Teknadv3x:
Congrats on the certs.
I would of posted congrats sooner ,just getting back on line.

Thanks Dave, my feelings were getting hurt :)

Now we all need to coordinate a FL trip sometime.

loosebits:

Well, my fingers are too raw to post anymore details than that.

Did you guys file down your all your bolt snaps and WD40 them prior to your trip?
I am trying to figure out what is going on with your fingers getting raw. My crew and I have dove LR and JB and Ginnie , none of us had raw fingers.
I remember thou after our Cavern/Intro course our fingers looked like they been run through a shredder. We figured out it was the the sharp edges and sticky operation of the bolt snaps. We have since then done the routine maintence on them and no more raw fingers.
I am making a weekend run over to Vortex and Morrison for some dives in a few weeks . Planning on going to back to cave country in late october or early Nov. for 4 days of diving. We plan on staying at cathy's place again. Did you guys get to do the campfire thing? Lots of fun, smores & cave stories. Cavedivers are damm good people.
When you go to marianna do you go to Houston to catch I-10?
I have dove JB about six times. I would love to rent the pontoon and do the other sites with someone who has already dove that part of the system. Maybe we can put something together.
Travis should be to ready to dance with in about 6weeks I hope. Gregg(cyclon300)
up in Austin dives travis often and posts straight up condition reports.

Anyways, Congrats on your achievements.
Dave

Congrats loosebits.

I was always told the reason the fingers get raw in high flow caves is due to poor technique. What I was told is most of the time it happens when you are pull and gliding and your hand slips off the rock. Apparently if you get a good grip everytime and make sure your fingers aren't slipping and sliding all over the rocks you don't get cave fingers. I'm still working on it, I still get cave fingers from time to time.

Matt

Actually I was exagerating about the raw fingers, I was simply too lazy/tired to type a full trip report. Of course my left thumb as I recall was a bit torn up but you may be right Dave, that might be from the bolt snaps... I'll try filing them down.. lot of bolt snaps though (cave diving... bolt snap intensive sport).

Diving Vortex huh? I've heard that turns into a SM system rather quickly. Can you make it through there backmount? Not quite ready for 150' in a cave, think I'll get some more experience first. Might try Morrison sometime though.

When heading to Marianna, we take 20 to Jackson and take a couple of state roads down to I-10 in Mobile, it's an even 800 miles. Last time we were there, we rented a boat from Edd at Cave Adventures and did Twin. Twin is a lot of fun, the 1st thousand feet is just a subway tunnel, 50 - 60' deep then there's a T in the line with one line going down a crack to about 80' and the other section keeps going. Of course we couldn't pass the T last time we were there but we really want to see what's down that crack. There's also a jump a couple of hundred feet back that looked interesting but looking at the map, it may get nasty pretty quick. Man, now that I've got my full cave, so many holes I want to stick my head into.

Our next trip out to Marianna will definitely be focused on Twin and Hole... JB is too much swimming and you go through your gas too fast. Need those scooters :) Besides, it's actually cheaper to rent a boat if you've got three people. What am I complaining about, I've paid $20 to get into CSSP to look at a sunken plane, $25 to get into JB is nothing.

Meeting you guys down at Travis would work... we can get O2 now, no more deco on 40. One thing I love about cave country is they'll give you any gas you want to whatever pressure you want ("You want oxygen to 4200 psi, is that all? We thought you guys were real men.")

I'm hoping to make another week long trip to cave country sometime in August or September depending on Rick and a little bundle of bills he has on the way. We usually stay with Cathy. We had a little miscommunication on this last trip, she didn't have a room for us on that first night so she just pulled out the cots she had and I slept on one of those great recliners. First night spent locked in a dive shop. Oh, in case you didn't know, Cave Excursions boosts O2. It was nice having the AL40's filled to 3000, kept them a little more negative.

Rand

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom