Fuel surcharges in the Keys.... A money grab at this point??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. Except the bit about fuel prices. Im sorry, but your rec fuel price at Tomb Thumb is a million miles away from commercial diesel prices.

I havent seen any recent significant decline in price. Maybe we are being stitched up by the fuel distributors? Its the same with trucking (surcharges for the Keys), so why would fuel be any different? :)

good point on diesel fuel prices, as they will most likely increase in the coming months as it is a major source of heating, for home and buisnesses in northern climates. lets not forget, the US military is the largest single consumer of diesel fuel(JET-A fuel is used in jet engines/refined kerosene which is essentially refined diesel fuel) followed by the us commericial passenger and freight air carriers,

reefman
key largo

+1 on the diesel prices. In Galveston last month I paid $3/gallon. In Pensacola last month I paid $3/gallon. Back to Key West I pain $3.58/gallon. Called a jobber in Miami, they were $3/gallon. I love paying the Key West surcharge.

Oh, that's an additional $1200 to fill up. I'd be better off to go buy a delivery truck and fill it once every couple of weeks. Maybe we could get KADO to buy a truck and deliver to all of the KADO members.

+1 on the diesel prices. In Galveston last month I paid $3/gallon. In Pensacola last month I paid $3/gallon. Back to Key West I pain $3.58/gallon. Called a jobber in Miami, they were $3/gallon. I love paying the Key West surcharge.

Oh, that's an additional $1200 to fill up. I'd be better off to go buy a delivery truck and fill it once every couple of weeks. Maybe we could get KADO to buy a truck and deliver to all of the KADO members.

I am speaking as only as layman here, but what are the parameters in avoiding fuel taxes when the vessel is operating internationally? On your Haiti relief voyage, where those taxes waived when fueling? If such provisions exist, how far from US waters must the vessel travel? Excuse me if the tid bits of information I overheard was totally incorrect...

OK folks..an uneducated consumer here....I don't run a dive op, I just come down to the Keys to dive from time to time. I spoke to two dive ops...both of whom I like their service, respect, and will most likely use again....when they started adding the fuel surcharge. Both specifically said it was because of the rapid increase in price of fuel.

Now that fuel prices are back down (at least that's what I see at the pumps), the fuel prices for the ops haven't really gone down and/or the surcharges really weren't because of the fuel price increases....so there's no reason to remove them.

Just following along here....

If we hurry, we can catch some interesting body painting this weekend (Fantasy Fest). :wink:
Ah shoot - I missed another Fantasy Fest. I WILL be in Key West for this next year. To dive the Vandenberg. Yeah, that's the ticket.

yeah, especially with water based paint and the numerous rain showers moving thru the keys today and tonite!!!!

reefman
key largo

Lol, I thought the paint was to protect us from the sight of pot bellies, bingo wings and cellulite

I don't pay road tax. Road tax in Florida is about $0.44, $0.20 for state, and $0.24 for federal. I leave state waters so as far as the state of Florida is concerned I am on an interstate voyage. Road diesel in Key West is $4.09.

So back the original question.....

How can a dive op have a fuel surcharge attached to every trip they run??
Why isn't built into trip price??

I have no issue with how Silent World states their prices since going out to most of the wrecks is a longer run than most of the reefs.

What I fail to see why the ops are calling it a "surcharge". Raise the price or have two prices if you need, but don't call it a surcharge.

sur·charge   /n. ˈsɜrˌtʃɑrdʒ; v. sɜrˈtʃɑrdʒ, ˈsɜrˌtʃɑrdʒ/ Show Spelled [n. sur-chahrj; v. sur-chahrj, sur-chahrj] Show IPA noun, verb, -charged, -charg·ing.noun
1.an additional charge, tax, or cost.
2.an excessive sum or price charged.
3.an additional or excessive load or burden.
4.Philately. a.an overprint that alters or restates the face value or denomination of a stamp to whichit has been applied.
b.a stamp bearing such an overprint.
5.act of surcharging

While we're on the subject of dive op expenses, I still have heart burn with the Spiegel Grove dive tax, especially as it applies to other wrecks. When exactly is that going to end? As a local resident, I must have paid over $100 or more by now in additional taxes by being forced to purchase one or two medallions every year. I find myself now avoiding those wrecks or going with ops that will look the other way.

So back the original question.....

How can a dive op have a fuel surcharge attached to every trip they run??
Why isn't built into trip price??

I have no issue with how Silent World states their prices since going out to most of the wrecks is a longer run than most of the reefs.

What I fail to see why the ops are calling it a "surcharge". Raise the price or have two prices if you need, but don't call it a surcharge.

sur·charge   /n. ˈsɜrˌtʃɑrdʒ; v. sɜrˈtʃɑrdʒ, ˈsɜrˌtʃɑrdʒ/ Show Spelled [n. sur-chahrj; v. sur-chahrj, sur-chahrj] Show IPA noun, verb, -charged, -charg·ing.noun
1.an additional charge, tax, or cost.
2.an excessive sum or price charged.
3.an additional or excessive load or burden.
4.Philately. a.an overprint that alters or restates the face value or denomination of a stamp to whichit has been applied.
b.a stamp bearing such an overprint.
5.act of surcharging

Agreed. I'm going to make sure my marketing says $85 for a wreck, $80 for a reef.

While we're on the subject of dive op expenses, I still have heart burn with the Spiegel Grove dive tax, especially as it applies to other wrecks. When exactly is that going to end? As a local resident, I must have paid over $100 or more by now in additional taxes by being forced to purchase one or two medallions every year. I find myself now avoiding those wrecks or going with ops that will look the other way.
I think the sinking loan is still being paid off, but it's nearly there. You shouldn't be buying medallions for any other wreck.

As I'm right next door to the chamber of commerce, I direct people over there if they want to contribute. I don't charge anyone for a medallion

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom