Fuel surcharges in the Keys.... A money grab at this point??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same reason baggage charges aren't advertised in your ticket price (except for Southwest who doesn't charge for baggage) along with the total charges for the flight which includes a bunch of taxes and airport charges. They want the option to charge you more for the same service without it being reflected in their advertising.

And sometimes its because the landing gets a percentage of the trip price but not surcharges.

In my case, I only change my pricing once per year, and that time is right now. I ate the fuel increase from last year, and it kicked my butt, because I think fuel surcharges are the sign of the devil, but if an op has all of their advertising geared to a certain price, it's tough to change that price on the fly.

And, an op with a fuel surcharge can continue to offer $69 two tanks without feeling the need to indicate the fuel surcharge that makes the trip really $89. It's amazing how many sheep put up with this. Americans love to feel that they are getting a deal. If they wanted an all inclusive price, everyone would fly Southwest. The dive shop scam of mark it up 100% so they can give you a 20% discount makes everyone very happy.....

When you see $99 open water classes advertised, go on in and ask them what their book fee, instructor fee, pool fee, rental fee, open water fee, and all the other tacked on stuff will be. Personally, I'd rather be told that I'll be paying $450 for Open Water. Then I can make the decision based on all of the info, not some of it.

Fuel prices have been relatively stable but I've noticed some Keys ops are charging a fuel surcharge for *both* reef and wreck trips.

Why isn't this just built into the trip price at this point??

You must go bananas when you receive your cell phone bill. 5-6 surcharges at least...

rec 90(non ethanol) fuel that i use for my twin four/strokes, is @ the lowest price in @ least a year @ the tom thumb stations here in key largo(many stations do not carry rec 90). historically fuel is cheaper in the upper keys than in florida city/homestead. that cannot be said for the middle/lowerkeys and EYW. my inclination is a money grab for all the reasons posted before me,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Garrobo:
Same reason baggage charges aren't advertised in your ticket price (except for Southwest who doesn't charge for baggage) along with the total charges for the flight which includes a bunch of taxes and airport charges. They want the option to charge you more for the same service without it being reflected in their advertising

Baggage fee's are a poor comparison as it's an alacarte charge based on who checks bags. Some people don't check bags, some check 5 bags.

I've been on several flights where say I've flown to Dallas for a meeting and flown back home the same day. No sense in taking a bag for that for example. so why should I pay a fee for it?

Everyone on the boat is in theory part of using gas. Brian's right... by this time, shops should know that gas costs more than it did 5 years ago and adjusted their prices. They don't.... and I understand his concern.

Hotels pull the same crap. at some, You get your bill and they charge you a "energy fee" because of higher utility costs. But most of them don't advertise them as part of their rate at the time of booking. Most don't notify you at the time of check in either.

Yet they try to nab you with a lower advertised rate. I simply show them my printed reservation and that it was not indicated beforehand and 99% of the time the delete the charge. ( I doubt dive boats would do that... even if they don't advertise them).

In my case, I only change my pricing once per year, and that time is right now. I ate the fuel increase from last year, and it kicked my butt, because I think fuel surcharges are the sign of the devil, but if an op has all of their advertising geared to a certain price, it's tough to change that price on the fly.

And, an op with a fuel surcharge can continue to offer $69 two tanks without feeling the need to indicate the fuel surcharge that makes the trip really $89. It's amazing how many sheep put up with this. Americans love to feel that they are getting a deal. If they wanted an all inclusive price, everyone would fly Southwest. The dive shop scam of mark it up 100% so they can give you a 20% discount makes everyone very happy.....

When you see $99 open water classes advertised, go on in and ask them what their book fee, instructor fee, pool fee, rental fee, open water fee, and all the other tacked on stuff will be. Personally, I'd rather be told that I'll be paying $450 for Open Water. Then I can make the decision based on all of the info, not some of it.

Nailed it... :thumb:

You must go bananas when you receive your cell phone bill. 5-6 surcharges at least...

Poor comparison.

a lot of the fee's on your cell phone bill are government fee's and taxes. We don't have much of a choice on them. They are just itemized separately.

such as: (might differ per state)
911 fee
Connection fee (allowed by government Public Service Commission)
Regulatory fee

Poor comparison.

a lot of the fee's on your cell phone bill are government fee's and taxes. We don't have much of a choice on them. They are just itemized separately.

such as: (might differ per state)
911 fee
Connection fee (allowed by government Public Service Commission)
Regulatory fee

I will try to better next time given the importance of the subject matter. :wink:

My trips are still cheap. $80 for one, $70 each for 3 or 4 trips or $66 for 5 or more.

Spiegel, Duane & Bibb are $5 extra as its nearly double the distance.

For me the wreck n surcharge is because of distance (fuel consumed) and nothing to do with current fuel prices.

My trips are still cheap. $80 for one, $70 each for 3 or 4 trips or $66 for 5 or more.

Spiegel, Duane & Bibb are $5 extra as its nearly double the distance.

For me the wreck n surcharge is because of distance (fuel consumed) and nothing to do with current fuel prices.

Then why do you call it a surcharge instead of saying the price for (whatever the other place is) is $5 more? If you were to bring a boat to Key West to dive the WB, you wouldn't say that a 2 tanker is $80 with a $400 fuel surcharge, you'd say the WB special 2 tanker is $480.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom