Fuel and Gilboa

Will the rising fuel cost affect the number of times you will Dive Gilboa this season

• This rising cost will not affect me

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • I will probably dive Gilboa less this season

Votes: 25 48.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't understand why he does not assign site numbers to the camping sights and have divers pick or be assigned sites and put the sight number on a hang tag for your rear view mirror. That would solve his problem of people parking in the camping spots and using the picnic tables and not paying for them. I really would like to see him run water and electric back to the camp sites also. If you want power or water today, you have to park all the way up by the showers. Making Gilboa more camper friendly would encourage me to go there more often.

I think it definitely would be in Mike's best interest to mark of "camping only spots" and leave the rest for "parkers." Some of the picnic tables are for campers only- some are for parkers- at least, I think that's the case. Running electric and water back there would cost an awful lot of money- if you want prices to remain where they are, I wouldn't expect water and electric.

Moving on...

The parking is a point of confusion- I didn't understand "the rules" at Gilboa until I called up there last summer to talk to them about my complaint, and that's when I found out that I was adding to the problem. Divers who do not pay for parking are not supposed to use any of the camping area at all- they are to keep their gear down on the platforms and not up where the cars park- so if you're going to the M&G and you want to hang out with M&G folk, expect to pay the extra... what is it? $6 for parking. It's not just a parking pass- it's a parking area pass (which is why it's charged per person). You don't have to like it, you just have to accept that that's the way it is.

There really isn't enough room on the platforms to accommodate everyone who would want to have gear back there and park in the main lot (especially when there are classes with their gear strewn all over the place).

So... the system isn't perfect. You do the best with what you've got, I suppose. There is only so much room back there, and, yeah, it would be great if Mike would clear out some of those trees to add more space, but it will still not be enough and that's a lot of work (and time and money). He spends money where he thinks it's best spent and he does put a lot of work into that place. It's a business, not a government-subsidized public service.

It costs me $21 to get in and park (and sometimes I don't even park back there in my big, ol' Yukon XL- I pay to park my butt back there!). Blue Springs costs me $20 to get in... and I don't like it nearly as much. If I had closer quarries (other than Natural Springs) I'd probably go to those, but I really do love Gilboa- for the underwater stuff. Topside is just something you have to deal with.

It ain't a perfect world.

Denny, you can tell Mike that the chick with the :truckergirl: said that!

just as an obvious observation...

The more who join in on this survey/poll, the closer the percentage (50-50) gets to fuel and costs limiting the visitation @ Gilboa.

Again, for me, both are of nearly equal distance. While I do like diving at Gilboa, I MAY go to Portage more frequently because of the costs (cheaper entrance fee--which includes parking RIGHT NEXT to your entry point for diving--cheaper air fills) although I don't know the exact overnight charges between the two.

I personally have no issue with a well run facility like Gilboa making a profit and a good living. That is expected. But, as the OP asked, it still may change my diving because of MY need to spend MY good living as economically as possible (and still have a great time diving, too).

Gilboa is the best site that's close to me so I'll probably be up there the same as usual. The higher the gas prices get the less likely I am to travel far from home.

We were going to do the Bahamas this year for vacation...too expensive. Now we're looking at the Keys instead for some wreck diving since we really would like to get a warm water vacation in. We're headed to the Florida springs next week for check-out dives. Blue Grotto says $40 per diver and $10 per air fill, Ginnie and Devil's Den aren't much better for entry fees though their air fills are reasonable, the State Parks are in the ballpark but evidently you have to have a bunch of permits to take students for check-outs. Not only all that but the sites are teeny tiny compared to the quarry if you're only OW certified. Sure makes me appreciate what we have close to home.
Ber :lilbunny:

what is it? $6 for parking.

$4 per person per day to park in the camp grounds. This allows those who choose to do this to drive the vehicle and all gear back to a camp site; occupy that site all day along with a picnic table. That's an upgrade, and like all upgrades, no matter what service business, it will and should cost a little more. Mike is not out to gouge anyone with the per person fee; obviously, many would abuse this if that fee wasn't imposed--7 or 8+ divers and all their gear occupying one site and most likely overflowing into other sites. I hate to imagine what the camping area would look like if there were no fee at all for parking back there. Even now, with the fee, some jerks park right in front of the stairs and now we got confrontations.

I tend to feel that Gilboa is trying to get every nickel out of you. Really should I have to pay to get in and to park? I already stopped going there very often. If it wasn't for the Meet & Greet I wouldn't go back.

Bipartitus, help me understand---What would be your solution to the parking if you ran the place? Parking in the general lot is free. Simply because of the physical layout of Gilboa, general parking for all who go there cannot take place near the entry sites unless you fill in or redirect the Blanchard River; you can't get a quart of water in a pint bottle. From a business angle, Mike would lose a ton if all could park back there free. It would be so jammed by Fri. afternoon, and there would be cars packed into every nook and cranny and at every conceivable angle that people would stop coming on the weekends, and the weekends are the bread and butter of this type of business. C'mon, what's 4 bucks for a lot more convenience? Mike is not trying "to get every nickel out of us". See you at the M & G; we'll talk.

I have left this thread go for a lot of reason. Now I will put my .02 cents in for what it is worth. As most of you know I drive a diesel it is expensive. From where I live it is 2.5 hours or so drive to Gilboa. so really right now I dont think the trip if I wasnt pulling the Bunkhouse would cost me no more than 5 to 8 bucks more. Here is my problem though. Now maybe it is just me. I might have a short attention span. I just cant see paying and driving what it cost for Gilboa. Time I fill up the truck drive 2.5 hours pay the fees and parking It will cost me well over a 100.00. So I feel for a hundred I will hop on The sylvia anne With Gary venet and do a couple of wreck dives. Maybe two I havent seen yet. Gilboa is great to get wet. It is great to dive a couple of times if you havent ever been their. It is great to go and try out new equipment, but I just dont put it on my destination list as a weekend dive place. So my answer is not the fuel cost it is the Boredom factor and the cost for me. As Tractor Tom once said and I have said also I HAVE SEEN GILBOA. I like to dive as much as anybody. for a 100.00 I want to see something different. See everyone at the MNG

Anyone.

I have only been to Gilboa once in well over a year and don't know the exact details on this parking issue. Do we now have to pay a parking fee on top of the $8 camping fee (if we intend to stay overnight) or am I reading this wrong.

Secondly, the sites used to be numbered. Maybe he should just enforce it. we could call in and reserve a site by number and they would place a bag over it so nobody took that site.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Anyone.

I have only been to Gilboa once in well over a year and don't know the exact details on this parking issue. Do we now have to pay a parking fee on top of the $8 camping fee (if we intend to stay overnight) or am I reading this wrong.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

$4 per person to park the car in a camp site for that day only. $8 per person to park the car and camp for one night on a campsite.

Thanks Denny. I guess I understand it correctly then. It seems to have gone down a bit. I remember when camping was $6 and you could rent a site (same as mentioned above) for the day so you could park in the back which would lead me to believe the price has went down for that option considering it could be $8.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Attachments

• Copy of Cosjosie 017.jpg
    Copy of Cosjosie 017.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 46
... Simply because of the physical layout of Gilboa, general parking for all who go there cannot take place near the entry sites ...

I wouldn't mind seeing a dock or enhanced gear area at the walk-in entrance near the building. I think it would have been a more practical (and much cheaper) improvement that the building that was going on. That provide a closer entrance to the parking.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom