Ft Wetherill Dive weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkaelin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Enjoyed a weekend of diving at Ft W. 2 solo dives Friday afternoon. 90 degrees in Jamestown, partly cloudy with calm conditions. Parking lot full with about 40-50 divers out and about. Water temp a toasty 72 degrees and diving without a hood. Vis about 10 feet. Lobsters, blue crabs, scups, black sea bass, taugs, flounder, starfish and star corals. Felt great to be in the water and diving was not crowded despite the number of divers. Friday was Summer.

Woke up Saturday to the Fall in Jamestown. Temp in the 60s with a steady blow from the north and cloudy and grey. Conditions still good at FTW and still lots of divers and other folks. Was able to dive with my daughter which was a treat.

Sunday weather and conditions the same as Sat but I hit the water at 7 AM and had FTW to myself. Lots of different schooling bait fish in the shallows.

Fun weekend. Sat afternoon we went to a beach in Charlestown and while there spotted part of a horseshoe crab on the shore. Reminded me that I use to see horseshoe crabs all over FTW and saw none this weekend or this year. I can't recall the last time I saw one at FTW. What has been your experience?

Happy diving.

I live in Massachusetts and haven't been able to get out at all this summer. This is mainly due to my crappy work schedule (I have to always work weekends) and my one friend that dives being constantly unavailable. I've tried some Facebook groups but no one's ever free on a Tuesday which is when I can go. One of the dive shops was offering guided dives with a DM but they wanted $180 for a two tank dive which I think is nuts considering I have all my own gear. I'd go solo but my hubby is working from home and doesn't want me doing that so I can't sneak out and dive. So I've pretty much written this season off

@CT-Rich
@AfterDark
@TuckerIdaho

I saw this posted elsewhere. I felt bad. One of us ought to be able to help @Pubdraft out. We are probably the most active divers in the NE area off the top of my head. While I can't specifically do Tuesdays, one of you might be able to. If not, we should be able to get him/her in the water with someone before the weather turns cold.

@CT-Rich
@AfterDark
@TuckerIdaho

I saw this posted elsewhere. I felt bad. One of us ought to be able to help @Pubdraft out. We are probably the most active divers in the NE area off the top of my head. While I can't specifically do Tuesdays, one of you might be able to. If not, we should be able to get him/her in the water with someone before the weather turns cold.

I don't see why not, I'm retired so I can do most any day/night personal events aside; for example, it's Tuesday my wife is taking my car to be with our Granddaughter while our daughter is working. My wife's car is on jack stands with the motor off the mounts so I can change the plugs and valve cover gaskets, so no diving today. However with some luck I could be done today and with a little rest could dive tonight locally, but that's unlikely having done this job 2 years ago on my car, same motor I know it can be a long haul. I am open to other days/nights this week, this weekend however is booked.

@CT-Rich
@AfterDark
@TuckerIdaho

Have him./her check out SECONN Divers Home Page - SECONN Skin Divers They are still actively diving throughout New England

saw this posted elsewhere. I felt bad. One of us ought to be able to help @Pubdraft out. We are probably the most active divers in the NE area off the top of my head. While I can't specifically do Tuesdays, one of you might be able to. If not, we should be able to get him/her in the water with someone before the weather turns cold.
Nice idea and kudos to you for trying to help out a fellow diver. Unfortunately I don't see a Tuesday in the cards for me before the end of my NE dive season.

Tuesdays are really tough for me right now between work and running (Tuesday is my track workout day, you don't want me cramping every 3 feet)

I would love to help out but I am restricted to Sunday diving because it is my only day off.

she might check out the Seconn or New England Scuba Divers FaceBooks. There are several people that dive move frequently than me. Tuesdays there is a SEConn group dive at Stonington Point, usually a night dive.

Back for another dive at ft w. Friday around 2 pm. Some divers out and about. Tide high, winds from the north and calm surface conditions in the coves. 65 degrees and maybe 8-10' vis. Beautiful diving. Bright sun. Flounder, lobster, black sea bass. No tropicals. A bit cold in the parking lot changing out of my wet gear. 59 and a breeze. Should be warmer this afternoon.

I'm pretty active as well.

I can do Tuesday late, I'm free after 5 on those days.

Last dive of the NE season this morning at FT W and the SW blow all day yesterday turned the boat ramp cove into mucky crap. In the beginning of the dive I barely could see my hand extended out in front of my face. Rollers coming in even though the wind had swung around from the N sometime during the night. A little better vis along the walls but still pretty crappy. Beautiful weekend in Jamestown and I enjoyed my trips to Jamestown this summer and glad to be able to get some NE diving in.

Our trip to Bonaire this year was moved twice and is now in the Spring '21. Time to switch over and look forward to ski season. For those diving dry enjoy your extended season. TK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom