Ft. Lauderdale vs Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Am trying to pinpoint dive areas on our trip to Fla. Our finances are limited and was wondering if I had to pick between the two dive sites of Ft. Lauderdale vs Key Largo which one you would recommend? I understand Ft Lauderdale has some beach dives, which is a plus when on a budget. But irrespective of the money, which local is best for the average recreational diver?

Lauderdale by the Sea was mentioned to me as well. Is the diving at Lauderdale by the Sea similar to Ft Lauderdale or different?

Thanks for your help.

Lauderdale by the sea IS in Fort Lauderdale.

The dive ops are generally cheaper in FLL than in Largo. The reef diving in Largo is more expansive, the reefs are larger. Also there are some LARGE wrecks.

FLL has tons of wrecks, good reefs, and easy shore diving. We live about 4 blocks from "LBTS" and dive almost every day. It's GREAT for a short 200 yard swim out.

If you are doing S FL... I would highly recommend a trip up North (about 25 miles) to Boynton Beach. This area has by far some of the best reefs around. Amazing quantities of fish, sponges, and other abundant sea life.

If you're on a budget, I would stay on FL proper, and NOT go to the Keys... I don't think you can mix the word budget and Keys in the same sentence. :wink:

Key Largo!!!! Seriously, I have only dived in Fort Lauderdale a few times, and sorry to all you Fort Lauderdale folks, it just made me sad. Perhaps it is because most of my diving experience has been more remote and prestine locations but Fort Lauderdale and Pompano makes me sad. The turtles I've seen look scared and sick. The corals are obviously being effected by the enormous amount of chemical run-off and the one jew fish I saw had a giant hook in its mouth and was pimping himself for treats from our dive master. It just seemed more staged. I have family there so I do dive when I go down there, but to be honest, I am making the trek to Key Largo to by pass it myself this Summer. We are camping to cut costs and found an outfitter that will do 5 dives for $200. My experience in Fort Lauderdale has been more expensive than any place I've gone...granted I recently moved back from Costa Rica... Pura Vida

Again, I apologize to all of you gung-ho Fort Lauderdale folks...I'ld rather be in the water than out. I just think you need to really know the right people there to have a really good dive there. Suggestions?

I dive both Fll and key largo. Both are very good. Key largo is definately more expensive. the average 2 tank dive in fll is around $50. and in the keys it's $70. you can beach dive from hollywood to pompano for just the price of an air fill. I saw a hotel on the Hollywood boardwalk that was advertising $79 per night. I don't know the name of the hotel but, it's about 3-5 blocks north of Hollywood Blvd.
Stefan

Tough call. I have dived both places, and enjoyed them both, but they are different. FLL has all of the "big city" aspects, which can be good or bad. I think it is easier to get in and out of FLL airport than the nightmare they call Miami International. We dove out of Pompano Beach, north of FLL, with SFDH, and got a great deal on a room. I thoroughly enjoyed the various dives we did, which included both reefs, mid-wrecks, and deep wrecks. FLL does more "drift dives", versus anchored dives at KL. KLL does have some bigger wrecks, and some bigger reefs. I saw more sharks at KL, but more huge groupers at FLL. It does seem like everything at KL is more expensive, including boat trips, and hotels, but it is all relative when you are talking about diving. I do not think you can make a wrong decision. Run some searches. There have been a lot of posts about both places in the last 60 days. Some of the operators in KL can set you up with a discount on rooms, or dive trip packages. Have fun, and dive safe.
Tom

I've never experienced good viz in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Maybe is was just times of the year (winter and early spring), but we water was green on both occasions I dived there. Howard lives in the area and he can give you the best info about where to dive.

Largo is full of cattle boats and you'll run into crowds on just about every dive. I think the fish are more plentiful in Largo with more photo ops. It really depends on what you want.

howarde:
FLL has tons of wrecks, good reefs, and easy shore diving. We live about 4 blocks from "LBTS" and dive almost every day. It's GREAT for a short 200 yard swim out.

I assume the reefs are 200 yards, but are the wrecks that close too?, how deep?

As some people said... The water here (in FLL) is often green, and the viz is nothing compared to Key Largo (usually 20-40' of viz).

However, BOYNTON BEACH is by far some of the most superior diving in South Florida. I would recommend diving here, and some shore dives from LBTS. This is what i do on a weekly basis. Boynton typically has 40-80' of Viz and TONS of fish, coral (hard and soft), sponges, macro life, etc...If anyone tells you that the reefs in Key Largo are better than in Boynton... They probably haven't dived Boynton.

I've dived in Largo several times, and I've done almost 50 dives in Boynton in 2006.

There ARE tons of wrecks around here (FLL area) too, I don't think you could swim out to them.... They are generally 1/2 mile off shore. The wrecks range in depth from 60 - 110' deep.

I'm working in the Miami Lakes area and would love to do some diving. I have been flying in Mondays and home on Fridays, so I don't have much free time. Any suggestions on shore snorkling spots or late afternoon dives I could get to from Miami Lakes? Also, for diving I need to rent gear and find a buddy . . . Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom