Ft.Lauderdale & snokeling???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maryke

Reaction score
We will be in Ft.Lauderdale the first week of April. We have an 8 yr old daughter.

I would love to take her snorkeling a bit to get started. Is there any place in the area or do we need to head to the keys?

If to the Keys-- where and how long would it take us? Prefer to just go from the beach and not do a tour boat trip.

Also want to take a trip to Everglades and do an airboat ride. Any suggestions there??

Thanks - me

Good shallow diving/snorkeling off Lauderdale by the Sea, Hollywood, Dania, Pompano and a few other areas around there - pretty much run off the beach anywhere, swim out to the buoys and go for it. Take a dive flag though, the marine patrol are very good at persecuting the slower moving traffic (divers/snorkelers).

maryke:
We will be in Ft.Lauderdale the first week of April. We have an 8 yr old daughter.

I would love to take her snorkeling a bit to get started. Is there any place in the area or do we need to head to the keys?

If to the Keys-- where and how long would it take us? Prefer to just go from the beach and not do a tour boat trip.

Also want to take a trip to Everglades and do an airboat ride. Any suggestions there??

Thanks - me

I can NOT answer on the Ft. Lauderdale, but have snorkeled in the keys a bit.

Sure you can snorkel off the beach (or lack thereof) is some areas, but it's not going to be very good. You will see some fish, but there are no reefs close to the shore.

Take a boat trip. Skip it if the sea's are rough with an eight year old, but otherwise the boat maybe as exciting/fun as the snorkeling for people who don't get out on boats often. It's a very nice way to spend a good chunk of a day.

Look online for costs, but I seem to remember about $30-40 per person, so not too bad. You could also dive in the same area if that is appealing. Maybe do one dive, and then spend the rest of the time in the water with the family.

I'm planning on doing EXACTLY that when we go again in the Spring.

If memory serves the Keys (Largo) is maybe 2-2 1/2 hours from Lauderdale, but I'm always there on vacation, and those relaxing vacation drives go by quick, so look it up on mapquest.com if you want exact milage.

Have Fun,

Ron

Scuba_Jenny:
FT. Lauderdale- Datura St., 1 block south of Commercial Blvd (major road)
Here is a link,
http://www.fillexpress.com/library/datura.shtml

I agree- that's a pretty piece of reef close enough to shore to swim out to comfortably. It actually used to have a marked snorkelers trail, No need for a boat out there.

One VERY IMPORTANT NOTE
YOU MUST have a dive flag to snorkel or dive off shore. You will be fined if you don't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom