Ft. Lauderdale area referral for OW certification dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Searches of past threads for this found only old (like 3-7+ years) information.

My wife has completed her CW dives and classroom work up here in Cincinnati, OH. We will be coming to Ft. Lauderdale for the week of Aug. 4-10 and she'd like to get the certification dives does early in the week (ok, so I want her to get the dives done early so we can dive together a time or two).

The only FLL area recommendation that I found was for "Pro Dive" and then I found this thread that discussed the shop closing earlier this year.

Another shop is mentioned in that thread: Scuba Emporium Florida
Any support for this shop (and their instructors)? It looks like they have OW certification dives on Aug.2-3 so it might be a problem to go out early the next week.

Of course, any other recommendations in the area will be appreciated. (PM if you'd rather not post.)

Thanks,
-Rob

Under Sea Sports has my vote :wink:

You can try Underseas Sports. Matt is definitely the type of person that will do what ever he can (without cutting corners) to help you out. I work as an Instructor out of his store so if for some reason everyone is busy then PM me and we'll set something up.

UnderSea Sports hadn't responded. Kevin Metz (Dive Boynton) did as did Carolyn from Scuba Emporium FL. At this point, we're going ahead with arrangements through Scuba Emporium FL and will use Kevin if things can't work out for any reason.

Thanks for the contacts and opinions.

-Rob

We got my husband's kids cert'd through South Florida Dive and their instructor was Ed who I think was just stellar. That's my recommendation, but I am not a local.

Just one thing to be aware of, whichever operation you do select. Florida's Spiny Lobster season begins on August 6th, so be prepared for busy activity at any dive shop. Yes, the mini season is a week prior, but many folks choose to pass on that insanity and wait till the regular season kicks off. So, rental equipment and boat availability may be limited. On the plus side, you could be in for quite the treat for dinner.

UnderSea Sports hadn't responded. Kevin Metz (Dive Boynton) did as did Carolyn from Scuba Emporium FL. At this point, we're going ahead with arrangements through Scuba Emporium FL and will use Kevin if things can't work out for any reason.

Thanks for the contacts and opinions.

-Rob

I'd rethink that... As I like to say, Back in Chicago, SE is the 'McDonald's of scuba diving'... just like Pro Dive was, a certification mill... If you wanna get certified and be treated as passager 10 of 18 on Hammertime.

If you want to have a top notch experience with someone who cares about every infintescimal detail of YOUR vacation - Kevin is the man....

As the new instructor for Rob's wife, I take exception to your characterization of the quality of instruction and dive experiences that Scuba Emporium Florida offers. We have a first rate boat crew, and instructors that go the extra step for each and every student - we are not out here "flippin' burgers."

Best,
Patrick Peacock, PADI IDCS #172462

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom