Frustrating Confined Water Training - Need experienced advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might tell them you want an instructor that teaches you to do things while *floating* or swimming underwater, not while kneeling on the bottom. As that is how you are supposed to be able to dive after training. If they teach you that way, and distribute some of your weight to a weight belt, that exercise should be no problem. Very sorry you had to have that experience.

I have read time and again on this forum that it isn't the agency that matters but the instructor. I like @northernone suggestion to talk to the shop owner as well. Shops I have worked at have a core set of instructors but if things get busy or someone goes on vacation then we'll bring in a contract instructor. If no one complains about the contractor instructor, a course director or shop owner will assume "no new is good news".

So you want to give the owner a chance. Let them know the instructor isn't working out. If the owner still defends their instructor then it is time to find a new shop.

There were several points in the training where I was seriously afraid I would die. None of us developed any buoyancy control and certainly didn't make any attempts at "trim". Now we are supposed to go to open water this weekend. I don't feel safe and am scared to death. Is this the typical experience?

lylii, no... this is not at all typical. Most instructors understand the importance of helping students develop confidence and comfort with their scuba gear and the required skills while practicing in the pool, so that they are properly prepared for attempting their open water dives.

When the students are properly prepared, the open water dives are safer and more enjoyable for everyone (including the instructor!) involved.

If you don't feel safe, do not go. The ocean will still be there later, after you rectify the situation and gain the confidence (both in your ability and that of your instructor) you need.

Thank you to all who have replied - it helps to know that my experience was not how it is supposed to happen. I will talk to the shop and see if we can come to an agreement. I think I definitely need more pool time with a different instructor before moving to the open water dives.

Thank you to all who have replied - it helps to know that my experience was not how it is supposed to happen. I will talk to the shop and see if we can come to an agreement. I think I definitely need more pool time with a different instructor before moving to the open water dives.

I just want to point out an important detail: if the course you were taking was PADI make sure you get the "sticker" back if you decide to get a refund. You will need it to prove that you already purchased your educational materials. My girlfriend had a sticker but it was the wrong one. Her first instructor kept it and apparently they get some kind of credit for it (money?). I never actually saw the sticker so unfortunately I can't describe it accurately but they should know what you are talking about.

I just want to point out an important detail: if the course you were taking was PADI make sure you get the "sticker" back if you decide to get a refund. You will need it to prove that you already purchased your educational materials. My girlfriend had a sticker but it was the wrong one. Her first instructor kept it and apparently they get some kind of credit for it (money?). I never actually saw the sticker so unfortunately I can't describe it accurately but they should know what you are talking about.

The Hologram sticker is not used in the United States for PADI Open Water certification processing. It is used in other parts of the world to show that the educational materials were purchased. I would not expect a PADI OpenWater crew pack sold by a PADI shop in San Antonio, TX to have the hologram.

The Hologram sticker is not used in the United States for PADI Open Water certification processing. It is used in other parts of the world to show that the educational materials were purchased. I would not expect a PADI OpenWater crew pack sold by a PADI shop in San Antonio, TX to have the hologram.

OK, thanks. She did it in Mexico.

Thank you! It is PADI and I didn't even know about the sticker - thank you for letting me know!

Thank you! It is PADI and I didn't even know about the sticker - thank you for letting me know!

Well, as Sevenrider860 pointed out it's not used in the USA but since my girlfriend got certified in Mexico I didn't know that. Who knows, maybe you'll find a nice instructor on Cozumel or in Playa :)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom