from LP85 to alu80 - how much more lead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCrecdiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there all you sidemount divers,
I dive with drysuit, relatively thick undergarments, LP85s and 6 lbs lead in fresh water.
Any of you can guesstimate how much lead I would need if I dive with drysuit, thin undergarments and alu80 tanks in fresh water?

umm, I can't guess for undergarment variation; and my guess is also gonna be kinda bad for the tank change (I only dove steel/fresh -Alu/salt).. I would say 3-4KG more (accounting for a very floaty end of dive at 50 bar each and maybe the undergarments) πŸ€·πŸ½β€β™€οΈ
Maybe less if I remove my saltwater bias

(that's 6-8 more lbs in freedom units πŸ¦… :stirpot: )

Wait, I think I am mixing the cylinders -- do lp85s get a bit floaty near empty?
Probably I was initally thinking of lp108s that are much more stable

you want to weight for neutral with empty (~500) psi tanks

dialing in the change from LP85 to Al80 in SM on Info - Optimal Buoyancy Computer
got me from 1KG to 5KG, no change in suit tho (I used 1.5mm wetsuit so ignore my total)

Probably a good time to check out that tool btw

An AL80 is roughly neutral with the regs and 500psi. So what I do is place one with long hose on in 6 ft of water, no tanks on my rig and add just enough lead so I can descend while breathing off it.
Guessing 4# because that's the difference from LP72s for me.

Hi there all you sidemount divers,
I dive with drysuit, relatively thick undergarments, LP85s and 6 lbs lead in fresh water.
Any of you can guesstimate how much lead I would need if I dive with drysuit, thin undergarments and alu80 tanks in fresh water?
No, but you can. Go in the water, no tanks and all your gear on, no weight.

Try to descend (obviously you should be water that you can stand up in). Add weight until you can descend on a full (think free diver) exhale and stay under without a problem. Now add 3 lbs to the weight you're holding and go diving. You should be very close to properly weighted.

Back
Top Bottom