Freshwater vs Saltwater Trim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Humba

Contributor
Reaction score
I believe (after about 8-10 dives) I've somewhat resolved my trim issues using my new Halcyon Eclipse, SS BP w/30# wing. (Always used a Jacket in the past). Since this was achieved in freshwater, what issues should I expect next month when I start saltwater diving. Important stats: 6'3", 190, always a 3mm full, no hood, AL 80/Air, No canister, boots w/ Mares Quattros

Initially, I was neutral @ 20-30 fsw, very little air in the wing and no weight. However, after hovering for approx 1 min, my feet start to sink about 6"-8" and it seems I'm looking up too much (still maintaining constant depth). I then attached a 2# weight close to the shoulder of the tank. That seemed to correct my sinking feet. My tank never went below 1500.

Any advice prior to the saltwater diving?

humba:
I believe (after about 8-10 dives) I've somewhat resolved my trim issues using my new Halcyon Eclipse, SS BP w/30# wing. (Always used a Jacket in the past). Since this was achieved in freshwater, what issues should I expect next month when I start saltwater diving. Important stats: 6'3", 190, always a 3mm full, no hood, AL 80/Air, No canister, boots w/ Mares Quattros

Initially, I was neutral @ 20-30 fsw, very little air in the wing and no weight. However, after hovering for approx 1 min, my feet start to sink about 6"-8" and it seems I'm looking up too much (still maintaining constant depth). I then attached a 2# weight close to the shoulder of the tank. That seemed to correct my sinking feet. My tank never went below 1500.

Any advice prior to the saltwater diving?

This isn't going to be very helpful, but I think that helping somebody dial in their trim is one of those hands-on tasks that need to be done in person. By way of example, I don't know if anyone here can tell if adding a trim weight to your tank was really a good idea or not as far as helping keep your feet where they belong, without actually seeing your body position in the water. You need to get in the water with somebody who knows what proper trim is and how to achieve it, and have them help you.

As you know, you will need more weight in salt water to get neutral than you need in fresh water, but that should not affect your trim if you put the added weight near your center of gravity.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom