Freshwater Prawns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've definitely seen one variety of freshwater prawn in Spring Lake (at Aquarena). You should contact the staff there. I'm sure they can provide as much information as you need. This is the web address with their contact information: Staff : Aquarena Center : Texas State University

They are in the upper part of the Comal River, the point between Stinky Falls and the Camp Warnecke Chute area. They are a lot larger then ones I have seen at Aquarean Springs. The ones I have seen in the Comal are a very light color similar to shrimp and they appear to be at least 8 inches long (the body).

Hello everyone.

Have any of you ever come across freshwater prawns?

I'm seeking both live and preserved prawns. If you have any locations where they can be found, please let me know!

I was out at TSU on Friday doing a night dive and have a 40 second video of the prawn that we saw at deep hole.

Maybe you can tell me what species it is?

Check out Scubaboard Galleries and recent video uploaded today.

Shawn O'Shea

Last edited:
I was out at TSU on Friday doing a night dive and have a 40 second video of the prawn that we saw at deep hole.

Maybe you can tell me what species it is?
Nice video -- it's definitely a Macrobrachium carcinus. How big was the fellow?

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm in contact with Susanna Scott here at Texas State, and have accompanied her on a snorkel survey of Sewell Park and Rio Vista. Only 1 specimen was seen (at the former location).

Randy Gibson (Randy_Gibson@fws.gov) of the National Fish Hatchery has kindly offered to help with SCUBA searching for prawns in the San Marcos if he can find a dive partner. Would anyone here be interested in participating?

Back
Top Bottom